Speaking of myspace -any one getone of these ?

protues9

• Moderators

Originally posted by protues9

http://www.emergenza.net/document/book/iscri.asp

Anybody get these highly personalized emails off of myspace? of course it's a cattle call with a pay for play situation, no guarntee if you'll get booked..

anybody know what the real deal with this is?

You just described it very accurately.

There are those who dream, and then there are those who prey on them.

Terry D.

• Moderators

I actually went to the Emergenza "contest" in Austin last year. My friend JiveJust worked the door at the venue and comp'd Pebble and me in, so I thought what the hell, I'll check it out. Plus, one of Pebble's friends was in it.

Picture this: something like twelve bands on the bill, each getting maybe 15 minutes play time, through shared backline. Almost no one in the club other than friends brought by the bands and, of course, the other bands waiting to play, hanging in the back making the usual disparaging comments about the people currently performing.

The sound was quite terrible, probably because the show was held on (two) off nights, which is the point of the thing from the club perspective.

Here's the good part:

After each band played and caterwauled their incomprehensible lyrics through the crappy PA, the MC asked the crowd to scream out their approval or disapproval, which he then judged subjectively - no sound meter in evidence, just the relative vocal cord output of however many screaming friends each band was able to produce. I suppose that's as good a metric as any under the apalling circumstances.

And that was it. The bands with the louder friends advanced to the next equally worthless stage (presumably), the others went home empty-handed, minus their entry fees.

Being as charitable as I can, I'd honestly say I didn't hear even a tiny scrap of talent or even tightness the whole two hours I hung out. Perhaps it was there, but buried by the 120+ dB Marshall stacks played full out against the inadequate PA, I don't know.

So I think one would have to ask themself, "Would my career be helped by this in any way? Just how many loud, screaming Neanderthal friends can I count on to show up? Do federal anti-racketeering laws cover something like Emergenza?"

At least that's what I found myself wondering.

Terry D.

• Members

Not only that, but you have to get your friends to pay like $15 for the "privilege" of coming to see you at this event. And I believe the cover charge goes up the further up you advance in level.

I sure wouldn't want to screw my friends or fans that way.

• Moderators

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Not only that, but you have to get your friends to pay like $15 for the "privilege" of coming to see you at this event. And I believe the cover charge goes up the further up you advance in level.

I sure wouldn't want to screw my friends or fans that way.

Yeah, I forgot that part.

It's good to know the doorman! :D

T.

• Members

Soooooooooo this may be another great service brought to you by the kind folks at publishers clearning house ?

Its what I figured.. I mean, the email was so personalized.. they were like "you can play clubs such as XYZ". I just thought'd I ask.. I mean, I'd never sign up, since i"ve played the local clubs they listed, for free.. :rolleyes: But, you know..

Archived