OT: Idlewild

BLAblablah

• Members

I haven't seen the film yet but it looks like lots of fun.

I live a few miles from the REAL Idlewild, and those fine folks are a little upset that Outkast took such liberties with their town's colorful history..... like moving it to the South.

• Members

I live a few miles from the REAL Idlewild, and those fine folks are a little upset that Outkast took such liberties with their town's colorful history..... like moving it to the South.

Really, which Idlewild???

1. Idlewild, California, United States [Place] is in Placer County; location is 39

• Members

Clever, but not very informed.

The real one was in Michigan, and was one of the first and very few resorts that was created to serve an exclusively black clientele, since African Americans were hardly welcome in "white" resorts. Naturally, it also served as a place where black musicians and groups could gain regular employment - such as Jackie Wilson.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it sounds interesting.

So I suppose you can discard all except #7-8.

• Members

Saw the film this weekend and have to give it thumbs down.

I think it was overblown and over produced and the Outcast dudes just didn't hold their own in the acting department whenever they had to share the screen with real actors.

I would really like to get that hour and 20 minutes back.

• Members

Originally posted by cherri

Dak, I was referring to the one in Lake County MI,

Thanks for that info Cherri. I didn't even know it was based on a real town...and there was even a character named "Rooster". While this adds even more to my appreciation of the film, I'm also wondering why they moved Idlewild to Georgia...maybe a google search will shed some light.

We have a similar area just north of Jacksonville called "American Beach". Back in the 30's a wealthy black Jacksonville resident (he was the owner of Afro American Life Insurance, Inc.) purchased a large area of ocean front property between Jacksonville and Fernandina Beach and made it into a resort for Blacks at a time when there was virtually no other beaches in the nation where they were welcomed. Many of the nations wealthiest and best known African Americans built vacation homes there, and others filled the beaches every summer.

While once a thriving area, it has since suffered much the same fate as Idlewild, MI. There are citizen groups fighting a losing battle to protect it's history from the developers...wanting to put high rise Condos where the sand dunes and many black owned homes still stand.

BTW Cheri, I checked out your myspace page...cool music! I noticed Susan Tedeshci is one of your myspace friends. She actually lives here in Jacksonville with her Husband, Derek Trucks...just accross the river from me. Small world!

Bear

• Members

Blah - I'm a huge fan of both Susan Tedeschi AND Derek Trucks.

Not much left of Idlewild these days, it's an economically depressed area. The Red Rooster bar is still there, the photos on the wall alone are worth the trip. I had a nice long talk with the owner about four years ago, he's been around Idlewild since about 1930.

• Members

Originally posted by littledog

Clever, but not very informed.

The real one was in Michigan, and was one of the first and very few resorts that was created to serve an exclusively black clientele, since African Americans were hardly welcome in "white" resorts. Naturally, it also served as a place where black musicians and groups could gain regular employment - such as Jackie Wilson.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it sounds interesting.

So I suppose you can discard all except #7-8.

Well, as Cherri could tell but you apparently could not, I was being facetous.

However, Idlewild Tennesse was established in 1873. I don't know of any other Idlewild that was established prior to that time, so, I would say Idlewild Tennessee is the REAL Idlewild, not Idlewild Michigan, historic significance aside.

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

Well, as Cherri could tell but you apparently could not, I was being facetous.

However, Idlewild Tennesse was established in 1873. I don't know of any other Idlewild that was established prior to that time, so, I would say Idlewild Tennessee is the REAL Idlewild, not Idlewild Michigan, historic significance aside.

:rolleyes:

Sorry about not getting the joke - I'm sure not the first time one went over my head!

I suppose the term "the real Idlewild" was an unfortunate choice - no disrespect intended to any of the citizens of any of the other 20 or so listings you provided.

What I should have said was "the Idlewild that the movie was based on", or something to that effect. Please forgive my unintended impugning of your sense of history and culture. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by littledog

Please forgive my unintended impugning of your sense of history and culture.
:thu:

:thu: :thu:

Really, that ;) was meant to let folks know.

Heck, there's an Idlewild in Pennsylvania that began in 1878 though it's an amusement park, not a city, at least not that I've been able to discern.

Archived