What's the deal with Canadian music?

Hard Truth

• Members

To this USA resident, Canadians seem to be underachievers in music. (with some notable exceptions) But maybe it is because we are not exposed to the best music from our neighbors to the north.

Are there any genres of music heard only in Canadia? Are they good and interesting?

Is the Canadian music industry as vacuous and shallow as ours?

Are there great music scenes in any of the larger cities?

Are there any traits shared by most Canadian musicians?

Or is it just a gigantic provincial backwater?

Which type of music from other countries is favored in Canadia?

Is there a connection/crossover between Canadian francophone music and that of Louisiana and/or France?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sarah McLachlan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Rush, Shania Twain, Alanis Morresette, Nickleback, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, The Band, Joan Baez...

Just to name a few of Canada's international superstars...

• Members

I just ran a search on Canadian musicians and learned a few more that I was unaware of their origin

David Foster :eek:Foster's Bio

Steppenwolf

The Guess Who

Gordon Lightfoot

Guy Lombardo

Paul Anka

Bachman-Turner-Overdrive

Barenaked Ladies

Diana Krall

Gino Vannelli

Sources...

http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/musicians.html

http://particle.physics.ucdavis.edu/Canadians/More/moremusicians.html

• Members

Billy Talent

Sum 41

Hot Hot Heat

Some guy named Paul Anka

I'm in Vancouver, B.C. Canada, and our scene is ok. There are some great bands, but like the states, the radio plays the same 4 songs over and over.

Montreal has a KICKIN music scene, and anyone who has a chance to play there (small club to big venue) will find a very open minded and music savvy crowd.

Our govn't also helps up and comers with grants for professional demos, domestic and international tours etc...

FACTOR

Cheers,

LIMiT

• Members

Originally posted by Ani

Sarah McLachlan, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Rush, Shania Twain, Alanis Morresette, Nickleback, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, The Band, Joan Baez...

Just to name a few of Canada's international superstars...

I question the inclusion of Joan Baez in the listing ( and one member of The Band is not from Canada)..

Daniel Lanois hasn't been mentioned.

• Members

The aforementioned Bruce Cockburn is certainly a "Canadian Treasure" type -- long, illustrious career, mucho respect from musicians and critics worldwide, and minimal commercial success in the US. Sings in French too, sometimes, and namechecks Yonge street in some of his songs. There's national character for you.

Hot Hot Heat is another good one, though they sound like they hail from Swindon, UK. ;)

Montreal is a cosmopolitan hotspot for music, and of course a tremendous jazz city.

But how, how can humble old me be the first to point that the greatest North American rock band of all time was 4/5ths Canadian? Why, The Band, silly.

(Opps! I guess I wasn't the first!)

• Members

Originally posted by spokenward

I question the inclusion of Joan Baez in the listing ( and one member of The Band is not from Canada)..

Daniel Lanois hasn't been mentioned.

You are correct about Joan Baez. For some reason I was thinking she was from Canada; my mistake. :eek:

• Members

I think Arcade Fire are half Canadian...??

Bruce Cockburn and my mom went to the same high school! (as did Dan Ackroyd, who is a musician himself) !

I love his music and he is an AMAZING guitarist!

I'd probably get shot if I don't mention the Tragically Hip ..loved by most Canadians.

-LIMiT

• Members

We need to properly thank the Canadians for them sending over Celine Dion. Here's what I propose:

The Canadians sent Celine Dion to Las Vegas. In exchange, Las Vegas should send the toxic waste from that mountain to Canada. It's an equal trade and everyone wins. :thu:

If you need any more international crises solved, you know where to find me.

• Members

Originally posted by Godot

Is Canadian radio still required to play at least 50% Canadian-made music? And is Bryan Adams still considered "un-Canadian" in making this calculation?

Until one of our neighbors to the North settles this - here's a little background on

Canadian Content

The MAPL system - (get it?)

The People | Le peuple who aren't so fond of cancon http://www.letsfixcancon.ca/

• Members

Regarding the opening statement that suggested Canadians were underachievers; it's been bothering me.

I have collaborated with two separate Canadian keyboard/pianists on two separate projects and both were, BY FAR, nothing less than EXPERT players; both were perfectionists. I felt honored to be able to work with such classically trained and professionally minded musicians. Although it was left unsaid at the time; I admired their stubborness and their will to stand for what they believed in.

These guys were, are, and will always be dedicated musicians with a passion for music...

Saying that the Canadians are underachievers is completely out in left field and demonstrates your lack of exposure to quality musicianship coming from the North of North America. Having personally experienced working with Canadian musicians in collaborative efforts, I can truly say that they are very educated and quality minded professionals that do more than boast about their desire to create; they PERFORM and they do it well.

• Members

Surprised no one's mentioned Leonard Cohen. Not too familiar with his stuff, but I hear he's highly acclaimed in most musical circles, althouh not so much with the general public.

The only song of his I really know is "Suzanne", and that's only because Neil Diamond covered it.

Regarding the opening statement that suggested Canadians were underachievers; it's been bothering me.

I have collaborated with two separate Canadian keyboard/pianists on two separate projects and both were, BY FAR, nothing less than EXPERT players; both were perfectionists. I felt honored to be able to work with such classically trained and professionally minded musicians. Although it was left unsaid at the time; I admired their stubborness and their will to stand for what they believed in.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he meant to say that Canadians are inferior musicians; just that they may not get as much recognition as musicians from other parts of the world.

Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if Canadians are actually better musicians than those of us here in the US. There seems to be less stress up there, so it's easier to concentrate on making music. ;)

• Members

Well, no one's mentioned Blue Rodeo. I saw them in a tiny vinue in Louisville about 14 years ago. I was front and center with my girl then and we just had the most fantastic time. Those guys rock!

I remember once in the early 90's meeting this musician in Scotland and he said everyone was digging on Bellybutton (Jellyfish) and 'Dancing in the Dragon's Jaws' by Bruce Cockburn. I picked up both of those albums and was ever so impressed.

That said, I'll put the Barenaked Ladies up with my all time favs. Great performances and the best lyrics and melodies this side of The Beatles!

:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

No one's mentioned William Shatner yet.

Okay now.... we're talking music here, not alien expeditions. :D :D :D

Actually, we have a local studio here that lists William Shatner among their client profiles. I don't believe there was any musicianship involved on his part, but rather a narrative.

Archived