Open letter to the Administartor/Moderator

audioicon

• Members

Dear Mr. Anderton, I understand this is your forum and you can delete any post you wish for any or no reason.

When I first came to Harmony Central it wasn't about the people in here or the topics/discussions that were going on but because I had read and appreciated your review on the Mackie 400F.

I got to like most of the people and appreaciated their ideas and support and so I stayed.

I can honestly say you have better knowledge when it comes to music technology in general.

There are hundreds of post in your administered forum that has nothing to do with music, The KKKKramer and much more.

I don't consider the "Kreamer" post stupid but don't consider it more important then the topic I posted. While I do not agree with all the post in here, I will never refer to them as stupid.

I'm not disappointed by the closing of the post because most of the articles I write are not about music but rather the everyday global issues that people who can't handled will try to avoid by any means, even if it means denying the problem exist or try to find suitable reasons for why the problems exits. Reasons that will make them feel better.

While I wouldn't want to get banned from any forum, I would not hesitate to express my opinion. In a forum such as this, if post like mine are going to be deleted/closed based on relevance then that should be the standared for all posts.

My post was no more irrelevant then the Kreamer post or the post about after thanksgiving day sales.

The fact that my post was closed says it was singled out. The post "Who the {censored} is Craig Andertson" was never edited for explicit content but my post about fortune teller lying was quickly edited by the administrator/moderator.

You cannot create guidlines based on personal preference or beliefs. As I mentioned earlier this is your forum and you can decide what or whom post in it but this is my time and I also get to decide what I want to be a part of.

I want to be a part of an online community that is not based on "Clique/posse" but rather fairness and respect for everyone.

Good luck and thanks for all your help.

Audioicon

• Members

I'm nobody, but...

The only probelm was that your post was too obviously political and needed to be in the political forum. Topics that can be discussed without overt politics are usually allowed. Craig is a easy going guy and was nice enough to give us a political forum in the first place.

And I think Craig has been giving us a little leeway on topics of social relevence lately, as long as they don't get to politically devisive, which is exactly what would happen with an aids thread (and yours was a doozy!).

No censorship here, just the need to maintain that fine line.

And the general concensus of the forum is that OT is cool, but overt political topics need to be in the poli forum.

• Members

Yeah, post it again in the political forum if you must... that's why it's there. Like it or not it is a politically charged issue.

Craig has moved threads before that were or became political. IMO, no big deal.

I for one wouldn't want to see this forum filled with political wrangling.

I've had so much of that crap; about all I can stomach these days on television is Turner Classic Movies.

I think I might even set my TV to that channel and then pull off the channel button like some people did with channel knobs in the 50

• Members

Originally posted by audioicon

I want to be a part of an online community that is not based on "Clique/posse" but rather fairness and respect for everyone.

As others explained quite well, your thread was political, and political topics were something that most forum members felt was better served on another discussion group. There's no clique or posse here. Your thread could spark some interesting discussion (as well as some inane ones :D ), so consider posting it over in the Political Forum. Thanks for your understanding.

• Members

"I want to be a part of an online community that is not based on "Clique/posse" but rather fairness and respect for everyone."

Get used to it if you are going to continue to come on here. If you don't have a ton of posts ( a lot of them can be absolutely nonsensical... it doesn't matter) you might be treated differently than others. That's just the way it is pretty much on every site that deals with the volume of posts that this site does. I'm not saying it right or not, that isn't my place to say. You'll have to decide yourself.

Some people are down to earth and will help you as much as they can. Some use this site basically to entertain themselves. It is not hard to figure those ones out.

I have no use for a lot of the comments that displease me so I just go to a different thread.

Choices.

• Members

Hmmm...since I was the one who started the "Kramer" thread, let me chime in.

My original intent was more to stir up a discussion about the seperation of Art/Artist than about racism. The thread started to go into another direction, and I didn't post there anymore, since I'm sick of the topic of racism (my wife is black), and as is evident in the thread, some people will NEVER get it.

I'm a huge fan of Seinfeld, it's one of the few shows that crack me up, and I was shocked by the little video, and felt the need to post about the bad taste that watching 'Seinfeld' leaves in my mouth now, even though I love the show.

As far as moving it to the political forum: Even though it went into a different direction than intended, racism is hardly a political topic. One could politicize it, but at its core it is a matter of the mind.

I don't post much, so you couldn't call me a regular, but I read a ton of posts here, and when I do post, it's mainly here and the electric guitar forum. This (the SSS) is the best forum out there for me. I've been lurking here since the musicplayer days, though more as an observer than a participant, because I don't have much to say:D.

So audioicon, I generally enjoy your posts, hang around for a little longer, and you'll notice the vibe that this place has.

I hope that this post doesn't show that I'm half drunk :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Timothy Scags

( a lot of them can be absolutely nonsensical... it doesn't matter)

But I've gotten much more sleep :D!!!

( in seriousness - Pat and I might be suffering from different projections of similar problems there -- the challenge of approaching things without unduely loading them with personal perspective/bias

From a hard-sciences perspective, I may tend to sacrifice verbal clarity in an attempt to preserve an open observational field...not that I am particularly effective at that either

Pat, coming from a political perdspective, may sacrifice neutrality in order to exlore a particular political focus)

You'll have to decide yourself.

seems a really valid concept and speaks to Pat's comment

but this is my time and I also get to decide what I want to be a part of.

There we get to decide what we are a part of...our power as participants? just as it is as "buyers"...walking

• Members

... If you don't have a ton of posts ( a lot of them can be absolutely nonsensical... it doesn't matter) you might be treated differently than others. That's just the way it is pretty much on every site that deals with the volume of posts that this site does. ....

There is more to it than that. While some people try to break in by flooding the system just to raise their post count, there is a core group of people that have been together for many years. I joined in 5 years ago on the Musicplayer forums and even then this group had been around a long time. And it is not just friendship built on a forum. Many of them have worked together or have business ties because they work in fields related to music manufacturing.

That makes me wonder, when did the original SSS go online?

Robert

• Members
Originally posted by awfulcase

Hmmm...since I was the one who started the "Kramer" thread, let me chime in.

My original intent was more to stir up a discussion about the seperation of Art/Artist than about racism

FWIW - that's how I read your thread

from a totally subjective perspective* the difference I found in the KKKramer and AIDS threads was that in the KKKramer thread the question seemed to be an actual interrogative (followed by a statement/qualification about the questioner's perspective)

whereas in the AIDS thread, the questions raised seemed more to be rhetorical device to forward a position.

*others may have read it differently, and I am in no way saying my take on it is the "right take". I'm bringing this forward so we can discuss communication on the forum

• Members

audioicon,

I read the initial post about AIDS while the topic was still open and decided to move on rather than participate. I found the topic to be very racially charged in the position presented by it's author and felt that the content of the post was unfounded. As Craig said...

AIDS is all over the planet, gays and straights. That's the reality.

Rather than introducing a thread that was thought provoking; the opening post was loaded with pugnacity in a deliberate attempt to create animosity among users.

I checked the thread a few times to see who had chimed in and was anticipating a flame war that would quickly spiral out of control. I was relieved to see that Craig had caught the thread and put an end to it before it had a chance to take flight. :thu:

I read the Kramer topic, and yes the KKK tacked on to the title of the topic was an attention getter, but I lost interest in the thread before I reached the end of the first page. The thread starter presented the topic as an expression of betrayal; one of his favorite stars had displayed an offensive behavior that changed his appreciation for the man's character. The thread held my interest until the arguments started....

There was a DEFINITE difference in the way the two threads were presented... One showed a man's disappointment and the other was inflammatory right from the get-go.

Maybe noone hit the "report this post" on the "Who the F is Craig Andertson?" thread... many probably didn't even bother to open the thread to view it. I glanced at it for a quick second and moved on....

If you have so much anger bottled up inside of you that you need to go hunting for a fight; you will ALWAYS find one. It doesn't matter if it's an Internet forum or if it's with co-workers on the job; it pays to think about the consequences your actions will bring BEFORE you launch your missile into space. You never know where an unguided missile is going to land or who will be offended by ruthless and provacative behavior.

You can choose what you want to be a part of; that's your own prerogative. But if you walk into ANY place ANYWHERE swinging a bag full of bricks, don't feel alienated or offended if someone catches one of those bricks flying out at them and smacks you upside the head with it. You CAN choose your own battles.... especially if you have a tendancy to fuel the fire that starts them.

This is a great forum and Craig is a very, VERY tolerant man. He is not a trigger happy fellow that likes to throw his weight around. I can assure you that he'd much rather be writing great articles than chasing down posts to hang locks on or delete.

• Members

"I want to be a part of an online community that is not based on "Clique/posse" but rather fairness and respect for everyone."

Get used to it if you are going to continue to come on here. If you don't have a ton of posts ( a lot of them can be absolutely nonsensical... it doesn't matter) you might be treated differently than others. That's just the way it is pretty much on every site that deals with the volume of posts that this site does. I'm not saying it right or not, that isn't my place to say. You'll have to decide yourself.

Some people are down to earth and will help you as much as they can. Some use this site basically to entertain themselves. It is not hard to figure those ones out.

I have no use for a lot of the comments that displease me so I just go to a different thread.

Choices.

You have changed my friend ;) For the better. Did you ever read my apology? Nevermind. What you say here is true. Some people have been coming here for a long time and know eachother for a long time. The postcount thingy however is more an inside joke. It really doesn't matter how many posts you have. It's just like the real world. Some like eachother and some don't. I didn't react on the Aids thread 'cause I never read anything more stupid.

• Members

The KKKramer thread started off with an interesting premise, but as it veered into nastiness that's when I said it was getting close to closing time. I DO allow some political stuff in here, as the atmosphere is more civilized than the Poli Party, but if it veers into name-calling and ad hominem arguments, my "close" button finger gets nervous.

As to the AIDS thread, you'll notice I didn't delete it or move it, just closed it. I felt it was sufficiently provocative that it was something people should be able to see and think about, but I didn't want to see it deteriorate into something ugly...which I felt it would.

A bigger issue is I don't want any "magnet" threads for people who don't get what SSS is all about, and have a bunch of squatters move in and talk politics.

As to why I didn't delete the "Who the F" thread, I don't delete posts that criticize me, and I'm not even sure that's what the thread was about anyway. And it turned into something quite funny, really.

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

You have changed my friend
;)
For the better. Did you ever read my apology? Nevermind. What you say here is true. Some people have been coming here for a long time and know eachother for a long time. The postcount thingy however is more an inside joke. It really doesn't matter how many posts you have. It's just like the real world. Some like eachother and some don't. I didn't react on the Aids thread 'cause I never read anything more stupid.

I didn't see the post but that's okay. I reread what I had written and I was being a jackass, no apology was needed. I was insensitive to a friend of yours and admonishment was in order. With that said...

I do appreciate SOME of the people that post on here because they are willing to pass on information that you may not get anywhere else. Others, when I see their moniker appear, I just move right on because I know exactly what they are going to be saying without even reading the post. To me, they are a not being sincere or productive, just fools.

Gotta take the good with the bad.

• Members

With that said...

I do appreciate SOME of the people that post on here because they are willing to pass on information that you may not get anywhere else. Others, when I see their moniker appear, I just move right on because I know exactly what they are going to be saying without even reading the post. To me, they are a not being sincere or productive, just fools.

The bad.

• Members

It seems to me, Mr. Scags, that you have merely gone from hitting line drives to pop flies.

I'll go ahead and field this one.

A leopard and his spots all the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I checked, the sign said "party" for "musicians". I come here to learn, like you I take it. And have a laugh when I can. Not like you, I take it.

Why so heavy?

:confused:

• Members

Well... I reserve the right to act the fool (my daddy used to say, "TK, no matter what you do in life -- just be the best" and I like to think I bring a certain verve to the job of acting the fool) but I also think it's entirely sensible for people to just skip on by when I do. (Or when they just see a few thousand words of coffee-driven blather.)

But that said, I think the regulars in this forum (Craig's and Phil's -- but maybe not so much the political forum :D ) are really a few cuts above the norm for the net.

I've been active online for almost 20 years (Compuserve, local dialup BBs, etc) and these forum regulars are a pretty decent, relatively intelligent lot, all in all. Not something you can say about everywhere in cyberspace.

So it is kind of a shame to get into "ignore" mode around here.

I know I stopped going to the political forum in part because I used to really get into it with one or two folks over there but was impressed by how reasonable and kind they were over here... after a while I just ambled over to the sunny side of the street. ;)

• Members

You cannot create guidlines based on personal preference or beliefs.

Where does that come from?

There is a strange phenomenon going on now that I think results from a lot of strangers living too close together, allowed thanks to the illusion of order that western society yields: attitudes that may have been taken for granted for decades are changing.

It's really hard to wrap your head around - but things that may seem utterly insane is "sane" to other people's perspectives. I give guitar lessons for a living, based on selling regular time slots by the month... About 2 years ago I had a student's mother decide she wanted her son to come at a different time slot - one that was already taken by another student.

Despite explaining this to her, she insisted her son have the time slot. This escalated to her demanding it, becoming red faced and shouting things at me because I wouldn't (effectively) make the other student switch to another time.

Which seems utterly ludicrous to me.

However, it occured to me that these days one essentially deals with a corporate bureacracy almost on a daily basis: the power utility, Walmart, the grocery store, the gas station, whatever... and when something does not meet with your expectations, one assumes (if one is so inclined) to "make a fuss until they relent". Even if they don't, it's assumed by some people that this behavior will make something happen.

In other words, I'm suggesting this woman was just reacting like she would if someone at Best Buy had told her "no, you *can't* buy that Ipod over there, someone else has spoken for it".....

Which sounds silly, but enough participatory behavior can create a habit.

Likewise - of course you can create guidelines on whatever you want. It's Craig's forum, he can do what he wants with it. There's a lot of "forums" online, some of which may appear to be "Generalized Public Discussion"... When the reality is, that it's not.

/ too tired to go into a better Voltairean analysis of modern sociological quirks

// gonna write a book one day...

'

• Members

I will explain further of what I meant.

For example, I stay away from Open Jam for a simple reason. Typical posts such as :

1. Dial 1-800 555-{censored}.

2. Have you ever had sex with a lady that had a bush? This shaved thing is driving me NUTS. It's un natural, a personal choice butt hell. I always liked running my hand though a bush, I'm not 12 anymore, wtf? Since my last marriage which ended in 01, I have not been with a lady that wasn't clean shaven except for stubble. It just creeps me out.

3. ...'spunk1 here, live on the lamb...(*cranks Petty's 'Refugee'*)...getting tanked at someone's (?) house, on someone's booze in someone's bar...doing the Hunter S. trip...signing off...prolly NOT getting it, tonight, even though there is a nice little one on one scenario taking place, right now...wtf...

Tanquerey, bitches...Tanquerey....

Those were on the first posts on topics I saw. BTW...some great topics also..

1. I was just suckin cock and fisting my own {censored}

2. Hidey-ho, bitches...

3. Blowing a "LOAD" for the first time in at least 5 years.

4. OJ brings out the retard pervert in me.

These are the kind of things I ignore, not everything...I'm not a monk, or want anyone else to alter whatever they want to do. Like I said...to each their own. I'd rather stay in the forum sections that concern music or the music business myself.

I help run a relatively successful music website that basically is a music site first and a forum site secondarily. We do not allow posts like those as identified above, that is our prerogative. This is not my site though, so I tend to ignore some of the blatant threads. I am not trying to say that people do not have the right to post whatever you see fit to allow, just that I don't need to go to those threads. Some people's idea of fun, comedy and satire are, of course, different than mine. It is a relatively free world.

• Members

... most of the articles I write are not about music but rather the everyday global issues that people who can't handled will try to avoid by any means...

"Activists", such as yourself, always think they have "rights" when it comes to everyone else's property, or money, or you name it. Forums like this one aren't owned by the public.

You should start your own forum. Then, let other people decide what is "correct".

Lead by example.

• Members

Originally posted by Prog

"Activists", such as yourself, always think they have "rights" when it comes to everyone else's property, or money, or you name it. Forums like this one aren't owned by the public.

You should start your own forum. Then, let other people decide what is "correct".

Lead by example.

Freedom of speech doesn't imply freedom to use other people's space, as they also have freedom of association and assembly. You are free to go into the street or other public places with almost any opinion, at least you used to be able to do it. However, you don't have the right to do likewise in someone's living room. You ask permission. The terms you agreed to upon signing up have that caveat. You can say what you want. If you do it in structured debate, you may not be asked back and you may flunk debate class.

• Members

My question to Craig about the closing of my post was based on relevance. I agreed the post had nothing to do with music.

I see nothing wrong with the Kreamer post or the Thanksgiving sale post, or the big screen post.

My question is if the moderator closed my post because of no relevance to music/sound/studio. Then how is the Kreamer post of any relevance to "Craig Sound, Stage Studio?"

I enjoyed all the post in here, regardless of what is being posted.

I never said Craig wasn't a cool guy. And just so you know I'm working on having my own forum but not for music specifically.

It will be for "global politics" and mostly geared towards the immigrant population and topics that cover Currupt African Leaders and situations on the continent.

I'm still in the works, don't have anytime/date. But again my question to Craig was based on relevance.

I have read tons of post, including one that talked about a guy looking at child porn at work, what did that have to do with music?

And I did say that this was not my forum and agreed that the administrator/moderator has the right to banned/closed/delete any post.

When I made the post I "felt like a musician expressing his frustartion" and I'll still say that certain post are tolerated based on the person posting it. I can honestly say that my participation in the forum is almost irrelavent.

I stopped going to the SSS forum because it feels like everyone is shouting at the same time and some of the discussion were very extreme, something I wanted nothing to do with. but I have made friends in there and in here also.

I'll end by saying. Some people will agree to anything/everything just to be a part of something. If I can come in here and expressed my dismay without being "bashed" then it's worth sticking around.

Audioicon

Archived