Masterwriter - Tool for songwriters

• Moderators

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

Masterwriter

http://www.masterwriter.com:80/tour.htm

What do you think of this tool as english speaking native?

Would a creative songwriter use this tool?

I love it Angelo. I just can't seem to cough up the money as it's a little pricey. During the demo period though, I managed to knock out five good lyrics with it's help. It really suits my creative workflow.

• Members

It sounds like a great tool and all, but I don't know. The idea of someone writing lyrics by way of a computer program seems kinda lame to me. I suppose if you're writing for the Nashville market or something, it might give you a bit of a leg up on the competition.

I don't want to knock it, because anything that can make the songwriting process easier is a good thing in my opinion. I already use a rhyming dictionary and thesaurus, myself. That software isn't necessarily something I would rush out and buy, considering the price (although $230 isn't bad), but it might be something worth looking into. It would be simpler and quicker than my current plan of trying to read a bunch of poetry and fiction for ideas, which I'm never quite sure if I'm getting anything useful out of.

In short--I have mixed feelings about the thing.

• Moderators

Originally posted by kurdy

It sounds like a great tool and all, but I don't know. The idea of someone writing lyrics by way of a computer program seems kinda lame to me.

I can understand that, but that's not the way it works. It isn't something that suggests, or steers you in any direction. It starts with a blank page... just like real life :). You write as you normally would, but once you hit a point where you would typically open your rhyming dictionary or thesaurus, you access theirs.

There in lies the elegance of the thing. Because now as you search its excellent dictionary, you can tag words you might be interested it and they will populate under your work in progress for easy access. You can then easily plug in the various candidates to see what

• Members

Interesting.....

Many of the features bundled into this software package are things that I have supplied links to on my site since it's inception in 2000. Most of the content residing on my site was uploaded within the first two years of it's existence while I was building it into the site that it became. Many, if not most, of the "useful" gadgets and gizmos available in the program available above are listed under my category for "Crafts of Music" located at http://musicbizbuzz.net/crafts/craft.htm

You will find the online Thesaraus, Dictionaries/Glossaries, Rhyming Dictionaries, Technical Writing Assistants, Pop-Culture Glossaries, Contact information for Songwriting and Composer Organizations, Interactive Metronomes/Tuning Assistants/Chord Finders/Scales, Sheet Music Generators, Chord Generators and other nifty and useful music writing tools located on the web. Most ALL of those listed provide free and unlimited access to browsers on the web...

I'm not one to scream foul, but at this moment, I almost feel as though my site has been plagerized to a degree. I did not write the programs that I supplied links to, but I did spend months upon months browsing the internet for sites that would be beneficial to songwriters, composers, and other MI professionals, while personally evaluating each site for it's content before placing a link on my site. In most cases, I communicated with the site owners of the sites I listed prior to linking to their sites. All of those features being located in one centralized location on the net is what helped my site become what it is today; I never had to advertise it to get traffic. It just seems odd that a LOT of those things included in this software package are NOT the average thought that comes to mind when a person sits down to write a song. Maybe it's strictly coincidental, but .... the authors of MasterWriter would have a hard time convincing me that they have never visited my site.

The items mentioned above are just some of the things listed under my "Crafts of Music" subtitle; that does not include anything that might fall under my other subtitles...

Entertainment Industry Books at Amazon, Record Industry, Music Business, Legal Resources, International Trade, Equipment Mfg, Education, Crafts of Music, Travel, Promotions, Performing Artists, and Global.

The MasterWriter puts a lot of these little interactive tools within a few clicks of a mouse and you don't even have to be connected to the Internet; that's cool because if for some reason the sites that I am linked to go defunct, the feature is lost until I locate another site of it's nature to replace it. However, since I know exactly where to find most all of the features that this program provides by navigating a small section of my site; I won't be buying into their product anytime too soon.

For anyone that likes the information contained in the software offered, but they don't have the funds to shell out... my site has always been and still is FREE to access. The link supplied above ^ targets the section of my site that provides links to the tools that this software has to offer. As long as folks continue to buy the books from Amazon to generate revenues enough to sustain the expense of hosting the site; it will remain online and free to it's users.

Sorry for the heavy heart, but this software program just sort of PISSES ME OFF!!!

• Members

No, but I watched the pilot demo and began seeing RED. :evil: The whole concept just seems SO..... lemme see.... familiar.

My site has tons of beneficial information for both aspiring and accomplished music professionals all around the world. If you visit the main page located at MusicBizBuzz , the subtitles list the types of information that are provided under each category. My site is mainly a portal of external links, but all provide information pertaining to the specific interest they are listed under. The "Crafts of Music" section is my personal favorite and my own little online tool chest for resolving writers block. It's much easier to type in a word into a search engine and return results than it is to dig through Thesauruses and Dictionaries (rhyming and definitive both).

There is a software program that provides a LOT of nifty features that has been on the market for quite some time. It's called "Lyricist". I wrote a product review for it a few years back where you can read up on it if you're at all interested. http://musicbizbuzz.net/VSS/lyricistreview.htm This program is available for only $44.95 and it has underwent at least 2 upgrades since I wrote the review. They also offer another program that caters to Audio Engineers called TrackNotes; it is a program designed to help keep the recording process organized. You might want to check their site out and download both demos. They offer a nice little discount when both programs are purchased together.

• Members

Hmmmm...ugh. I wouldn't buy it.

A) I don't like to be tethered to a computer when writing.

B) Seems a little mechanistic to me, though I don't doubt for a moment that Lee and others have found a way to use it without disturbing or much altering their creative process.

C) I wouldn't really be impressed with it, technologically, until it develops the capacity to perform line scansion. Seems to be barely more than a glorified rhyme dictionary with an audio notepad built in. Nothing terribly sophisticated about it. How much are they asking?

D) Fledgling songwriters need to enrich and energize their language and perceptions and work on the integration of the verbal and melodic phrase I believe there are much better develeopmental uses of your time than this. For instance, listening to music, or maybe doing exersizes in imitation. This kind of prosthesis could ultimately do more harm than good.

I could see myself trying a few lyrics with it and just going liberally with their suggestions--as a dadaistic experiment. In fact, I may try the demo (wait...is it PC too?). But I can safely say I would never buy. Hell, all of its resources are available elsewhere, and not indispensible to me anyway. Plus anyone who would suggest "agilely" as a viable rhyme...well...

Look into my eyes

And tell me what you see

Little KGB spies

darting agilely...

"It's a Hit!"

• Members

I've seen this program and I think it would work as a very useful tool... What gets me about some of these posts about not using this program, is that here we are, in a world where people are using drum loops, autotuning vocals, using midi performances for creating a whole band, and that doesn't seem to be a problem... However, using the same principle to write lyrics, that principle being, using technology to make a process easier or faster, seems to not be viewed as favorable... :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by tradivoro1

...here we are, in a world where people are using drum loops, autotuning vocals, using midi performances for creating a whole band, and that doesn't seem to be a problem... However, using the same principle to write lyrics, that principle being, using technology to make a process easier or faster, seems to not be viewed as favorable...
:confused:

Good point.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I checked out the demo. The help file is stupid. The animated demo is not helpful for using the program. I can't tell if it keeps track of song structure or not. The audio recorder wouldn't load. It doesn't seem to have been updated since 2003...I wonder why they still advertize in SOS.

Archived