OT - Domain name, singular / plural

LiveMusic

• Members

Say you were going to buy a domain for a site (and that name could become your biz name... make one up -- Good Show... OR... Good Shows. So, domain would be GoodShow.com or GoodShows.com.

I'd buy both and redirect one to the other but which one would use use as the primary site, singular or plural?

And note... your biz would not just have one show, it would have several types of shows. Seems obvious it should be plural but it's not always that simple with marketing. What do you think?

• Members

Those domains goodshow and goodshows are gone so be prepared to pay through the nose if you want to acquire them. You'll likely need to spend some time coming up with an unused original, short, easy to remember dot com or dot net domain name unless it's on the unusual side.

You will find it easier to find one that's biz, us & etc.

Singular or plural will ultimately depend on the final base domain name you come up with.

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

Those domains goodshow and goodshows are gone so be prepared to pay through the nose if you want to acquire them. You'll likely need to spend some time coming up with an unused original, short, easy to remember dot com or dot net domain name unless it's on the unusual side.

You will find it easier to find one that's biz, us & etc.

Singular or plural will ultimately depend on the final base domain name you come up with.

Dak, I said "make one up" -- those are fictional.

As for your singular or plural comment, I don't understand what you mean.

Maybe it's somewhat moot, since I would buy both singular and plural and redirect one to the other. I am thinking the plural is the way to go. Makes more sense to me, especially, since I stated the business would have "more than one show." (Different types of shows.)

• Members

Originally posted by jplux1

"Goodshow.com" doesn't even sound right. It seriously depends on what the actual name will be.

The name will become whatever the domain is!

Never mind, I think it should be plural since there are multiple "shows" and even if there were not, the plural gives it a larger personna.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by LiveMusic

Dak, I said "make one up" -- those are fictional.

As for your singular or plural comment, I don't understand what you mean.

Maybe it's somewhat moot, since I would buy both singular and plural and redirect one to the other. I am thinking the plural is the way to go. Makes more sense to me, especially, since I stated the business would have "more than one show." (Different types of shows.)

Point is, those are NOT fictional but real domain names with operating sites, both www.goodshow.com and www.goodshows.com.

As to the meaning about plural vs singular it will depend on the domain name you come up with, presuming it is something that makes sense to pluralize if possible. Some names wouldn't warrant the cost of purchasing the additional site.

Another thing to think about is, if you come up with a valid and catchy domain name you would do well to consider opting for the .com, .net and other suffixes rather than pluralinzing a domain name that doesn't make sense to. If it does make sense to pluralize it, it would again be a good idea to do the .net & etc so you have all the prefixes tied up for that domain name.

Just sayin'.

Archived