allofmp3.com

mobobog

• Members

I've been using that site for quite a while and have had no problems at all. There is a statement somewhere on the site to the effect that all of the music is properly licensed and royalty payments etc. are fully above board. The site is based in Russia. I would have used iTunes but their file format cannot be converted to play on anything else but an iPod. I have a Sony something-or-other and use their Sonic Stage software to manage the files once I've downloaded them. I'm fairly sure that if they were illegal the industry would have had them shut down by now; the service they provide is excellent. You pay a certain amount up front - $10, $20, or whatever and this gives you credit whereby you simply download the files you want until your credit runs out - a bit like prepaid mobile phone credit.

• Members

Originally posted by mobobog

excellent
:thu:

by the way do you know where could i download Sony's sonicstage? i have a minidisc also and i lost my CD and i havent been able to find it for download...

You should be able to get Sonic Stage from the Sony website.

• Members

Originally posted by Videodrone

allofmp3.com sells my music on there and I never see a penny and I never gave them permission to sell my music nor did any label I am signed too... sad.

This is from the allof mp3 FAQ:

"We pay Russian Licensing Societies 15% for all music. The Russian Licensing Societies will in turn pay the copyright owners, not necessarily the artists. Despite no legal requirement to do so, we are currently considering paying original performing artists 5%, regardless of who owns the copyright to the underlying work."

And:

"Can the copyright owners actually collect from Russian Licensing Societies like ROMS?

Yes. Similar to Music Licensing Societies in other countries (like ASCAP and BMI in the US), all a copyright owner needs to do is contact the Russian Licensing Societies (e.g., ROMS) and show proof that they own a copyrighted work; after which they can collect accumulated proceeds."

Hope this helps.

• Members

Well, I looked at the site and read carefully. The short version.

"We are in Russia. Buying from us is cheap because we do not pay royalties to other countries. You can feel safe givng us your money because 15% of what you pay is used to bribe local officials who will insure that we stay in business."

• Members

It almost certainly isn't legal, but it is a model for how buying online music should work IMO. Choice of formats, choice of quality and, most importantly of all, no digital restrictions management!!!!

In the same way it took Napster1 to wake up the industry to selling online, hopefully this will demonstrate to them how it should be sold (doubt it will tho)...

• Members

Oh and Blackpig, there are sites which sell stuff without restrictions legally, but they are few and far between and the selection is miniscule!!!! You either buy the cd and hope they haven't locked that down from ripping it onto a player or you have to go with a site like this (unless you can be arsed dowloading from itunes, burning to a cd and then ripping that, may as well tape it off the bloody radio with the quality you'll have after all that :rolleyes: )

• Members

Because then the publishing houses wouldn't be able to dictate exactly the how, when, under what circumstances, what you can eat whilst listening, etc, which would of course spell the end of the world :rolleyes:

Any of them takes this system and sells legally through it, Itunes and Napster will be out of business in less than a day and we'll be getting what we're actually paying for!!!!!!! :thu:

If it's any consolation, the money doesn't seem to be going to the mafia :D

Archived