"A date which will live in infamy"

Tedster

• Members

Pearl Harbor survivors meet for the last time...

My favorite quote, from survivor Edward Chun:

"How I never got hit, I don't know," said Chun, who was later drafted and served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. "I'll tell you a secret: When your number comes up, you're going to go. Well, every morning I get up, I change my number."

That's great! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

Although the number of people who remember Pearl Harbor first hand will dwindle and pass, the event itself, like the Boston Massacre, Bastille Day, the Alamo, Gettysburg, etc., won't fade.

Episodes like this are what define a nation for its future generations and should never be forgotten.

:thu:

• Members

"A date which will live in infamy"

I've had a FEW of those... the worst was a girl who asked ME out -- then clearly expected ME to pay -- and when I went to pick her up I got to meet the guy she lived with (who seemed clearly not her brother). We saw an IDIOTIC movie because she ONLY wanted to see idiotic movies. And on the whole date she had on this HUGE full down parka (this was in So. California and it was not a cold spell)... not that I would have ever, at that point, even considered tapping her on the shoulder, let alone sneaking an arm across the back of her theater chair.

AND it was on December 7.

Oh yeah... I remember the idiotic move: 1941... or was it Pearl Harbor... it SURE wasn't From Here to Eternity...

• Members

Pearl Harbor day was my folks wedding anniversary. My mom's still here but my dad has passed. No, not the date, the DAY! My dad was career military at the time as well.

Sure put a damper on any honeymoon plans I must say. Guess it made it a lot easier to remember their anniversary over the years although they sure didn't plan it that way.

• Members

My Grandfather was at Pearl Harbor on that day. He was an army engineer at the base next to the harbor. He died a few years back, and I never got to (as an adult) really ask him about what happened, but I remember getting the "kid version" back when I was about 6 years old, with him showing me pics form a Time-Life photo book about the war.

Having been raised on action movies, I had pictured him as a hero, trying to shoot down planes and save sailors from the wreckage. It was disappointing when he told me that during the attack, they were mostly taking cover and trying not to get shot or blown up. That makes more sense to me now. :)

He got to go back and visit Pearl Harbor once when he was in his sixties, I guess. He showed me pics of their visit to the Arizona memorial. I'll bet the air was pretty heavy that day. It would have been nice to go with him for that.

• Members

Originally posted by Still Learning

Anybody here ever visited the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial? That is an image that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

I saw it when I was in first grade, and I still remember it. Nothing specific so much, but more the vibe it had.

Archived