Really cool musical animation

Lee Flier

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

This is pretty mind blowing!

Yep. I downloaded this some time ago from ATI; its a demo for the their Radeon 9700 3D graphic card. I don't now if it originates with them, but it's pretty cool. IIRC, you can move the camera angle around while the animation is going on.

If you have a DirectX 9 capable graphic card, you can download it here.

• Members

I love those Animusic things! In fact, one has changed my approach to playing.... I have two bassdrums in my kit AND a double pedal. The left (primary) bassdrum is tuned for a deep thud, and has the double pedal on it. The right is tuned much higher, to provide a completely different sound. While I've always liked the idea of separately tuned bassdrums, it was that Animusic video that finally provoked me to try it.

When I bought the set, I actually bought TWO sets and combined 'em. At the time, I did consider getting two different size bassdrums (a Standard set and a Fusion) - but I was purchasing it more for our drummer at the time than for myself. While the pair of 22s sound fine tuned differently, if I had a do-over I'd get the 22 and 20.

I'm trying to work out a double-double pedal design so BOTH feet have access to BOTH drums. As it is, I'm considering getting a righty double pedal so my primary (left) foot can have access to both drums - I'd swap drums around so the RIGHT is the primary and operated primarily by the extension pedal....

But I digress and ramble. Back to Animusic.... Yeah, those vids are waaaay cool. I always look forward to seeing them pop up on my local PBS station. Maybe one day I'll buy 'em.

• Members

That is very cool. Ive seen other snippets somewhere. I think it was on an airplane to Tokyo.

To me the most absolutely amazing and UNBELIEVABLE aspect of this is that we found a midi drum based piece that Lee finds mindblowing. :D

Its sad in a way.

• Members

Originally posted by Kendrix

To me the most absolutely amazing and UNBELIEVABLE aspect of this is that we found a midi drum based piece that Lee finds mindblowing.
:D
Its sad in a way.

+1

Not that it isn't kind of fun to watch, but mindblowing? For Lee? :confused: It's got to be a ruse! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by RockViolin

+1

Not that it isn't kind of fun to watch, but mindblowing? For Lee?
:confused:
It's got to be a ruse!
;)

I was thinking that it might be sort of a "gateway" drum machine. You know, the one that you are kind of drawn to because "it's cool" and "your friends like it." But pretty soon you find yourself saying things like "swell" and "TR-909". :idea:

(oh and I can't figure out where I first saw these either. I think that it has been licensed pretty heavily by various consumer electronics demo reels.)

• Members

I found this absolutely delightful.

But then I've always liked hurdy gurdies, player pianos, any music machine.

I was a big Rube Goldberg fan when I was a kid. My own Goldbergian career was cut short by a few experiments that saw cascading destruction... in the living room.

When's the MIDI plug-in version come out?

• Members

Originally posted by Kendrix

To me the most absolutely amazing and UNBELIEVABLE aspect of this is that we found a midi drum based piece that Lee finds mindblowing.
:D

Hey, it happens every now and then. :D Though it's not like I would buy a CD with only the music on it anyway; this work is all of a piece (concept, animation, and music) and IMO one piece doesn't work without the others.

Archived