What kind of virus is that I just got?

• Members

Was just online, reading an french book, all of a sudden:

Both monitors are black, and from the right speaker a distorted female voice is repeating a short sentence who says "Put Some Fair Of Pitty Inside" or something similar sounding.

Hit the powerr button and restart Windows XP. Same again, both monitor black and the same voice repeating the same sentence.

???

• Members

This is weird...never heard of this, but I did find something somewhat similar here.

In short, the discussion talks about the possibility of a rootkit attacking the PC BIOS - the guy used a utility called RootKit Hook Analyzer to try and find it. Dunno if that's going to help, since you can't seem to boot the PC, but maybe...? Can you get into safe mode?

Keep us posted.

• Members

I don't get past the ASUS POST Reporter who repeats "System Failed CPU Tact"

No keyboard, the reset button doesn't work, both monitors black. Can only restart with the power button. The machine doesn't make it as far as I can get into the BIOS

The only thing I can try now is, to reset the BIOS with the Jumper and removing the Battery for 30 minutes, and then try to start again. If that doesn't work, the P4P800 delux is in happy hunting ground.

Hugh

• Members

Start by finding the CMOS reset jumper on the mother board, and setting it to clear the CMOS to it's default state. Then put in a new CMOS battery and disconnect all hard drives before applying power. See if that will get you up to the boot point (it should say something like: System drive not found).

If that doesn't help, probably the most economical thing to do is put in a new motherboard.

Good luck mon frere!

• Members

Originally posted by philbo

Start by finding the CMOS reset jumper on the mother board, and setting it to clear the CMOS to it's default state. Then put in a new CMOS battery and disconnect all hard drives before applying power. See if that will get you up to the boot point (it should say something like: System drive not found).

If that doesn't help, probably the most economical thing to do is put in a new motherboard.

Good luck mon frere!

Philbo, that makes sense.

And what do I do with the two disconnected hardrive in case I get that far as you say? ---> turn the machine off, connect the drives again and restart?

Btw, drive C: and D: are on a 2+0 RAID Promise 100. The two cartridges are turned off at the moment.

• Members

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

Philbo, that makes sense.

And what do I do with the two disconnected hardrive in case I get that far as you say? ---> turn the machine off, connect the drives again and restart?

Btw, drive C: and D: are on a 2+0 RAID Promise 100. The two cartridges are turned off at the moment.

Yes, reconnect & see if it all works.

• Members

According to the assembler bloke it says:

"System Failed CPU Tact"

For me it is like Phantom Words, where the brain is constantly attempting to find meaning in things, even where there is no meaning. Just as, when we look into a cloudy sky, we may see strange faces and figures, so when presented with ambiguous sounds, we may hear words and phrases that are not really there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have the same message right now. If you listen carfully she is saying

System Fail CPU Test

mine sounds like tack sometimes too. That may be refering to the tachometer reading ie cpu cooling fan speed but I think that it is always

System Fail CPU Test

and just gets a bit glitchy sometimes

I am trying to reseat the processor first.

Archived