Your Worst New Year's Eve Gig

MikeRivers

• CMS Author

Will it be tonight? Was it some time in the past?

Me, I'm grilling a high grade steak for dinner, I'll have a glass of egg nog (it's been brewing for a couple of weeks, starting with a bit of last year's), and go to bed about 11 PM.

Good traditional jazz on the radio tonight (or streaming on the Internet at http://wamu.org

• Members

I guess it's tonight,....

We were supposed to celebrate new years eve at my mum and dads house but I just got a call that he's taking here to hospital right now because she has serious heart problems....

I've spoken to her on the phone and she says her heart doesn't work like it supposed to and she is so frikkin tired,.......

I dunno what to do know,... I'm supposed to pick my 85 year old grandma up in an hour to take her to my mums house but I'm scared to call her to tell her her daughter is in Hospital right now,..........

Damn I'm in Panic....

• Members

Nothing bad. We're having several friends over for homemade pizza. We use a pizza stone and fresh ingredients - way better than any restaurant pizza. That and a bunch of microbrews and it has the making of a good mini-party.

Before that, I'm mixing down some songs for a client.

• Members

Eight years ago my wife and I decided to take our motorhome to the French Quarter of New Orleans and discretely camp out in a parking lot by the river. It was our first visit to the Big Easy. We stayed there for about three days prior exploring and partying, and our big finale' was to count down to midnight with the crowds downtown and watch the fireworks. Midnight came and went... the crowds gathered but there was no countdown, no fireworks. We gave up about 12:30am and joined an impromptu parade down Bourbon Street and partyied into the night. It was early next morning that we saw the local newspaper - the van that was to have delivered the fireworks to a barge had exploded killing two technicians and a police officer. It was a sad footnote to an otherwise great trip.

I'm playing a dinner party tonight from 5-8pm, and then my wife and I are going to take a bottle of champagne down to the beach just before midnight.

• Moderators

My worst started as one of the best. Packed, mid 80's nightclub. I'm single, there are great looking women everywhere, the music is kickin' and we're having a great time. It's so packed the condensation in the room is actualy dripping from the ceiling and unbeknownst to me, into the driver of my stage monitor.

No problem really.

But our guitarist has decided to drink. Really drink. I didn't. Now it's tear down time and the very drunk guitarist is outraged that I could let something like this happen. I hadn't had a drop and he was faced. Angry, mean, finger tapping my chest, making fun of me, embarassing the band in front of our employer... and ready to get his ass kicked if he doesn't back off. He didn't...

Luckily I had the presence of mind to shake the hands of the rest of the group and suggested I scoot out of there.

Sadly... that guy went insane or very close to it. He now sits staring at the chain link fence in his backyard while drinking a nonstop stream of Coors. It was a very ugly scene to say the least and sadly has got worse for him.

• Members

This is an easy one.

In the late 80's, I was scheduled (God in His Heaven knows how or why this occurred) to play a New Year's Eve gig at a quite nice hotel south of San Francisco.

I play jazz and standards, singing and playing piano. I'm good at what I do, BUT........

My audience was the South San Francisco Chapter of the HELL'S ANGELS.

I wouldn't, couldn't make this up.

To make a long story short, they didn't throw things at me or make rude comments directly to me.... but they were as cold as ice to me all night long. I think whoever masterminded the party wanted live music, but did not want want to spring for a rock band. Chintzy!

Every song I played went over like a turd in the punch bowl.

Everyone, including me, seemed happy when the stroke of 12:00 came around and we could end that debacle with "Auld Lang Syne".

• Members

It was a long time ago like early 80's. We were booked at this thing at a Hyatt or something. We were a top 40 cover band and the people thought they were getting 40's music. Needless to say VanHalen Jump didn't work out so good as an opener. As a matter of fact not much of what we played worked too good.

At least we had a handfull of "light" dinner set type songs that sort of went over. It was quite a missmatch to say the least. On top of that, it was our last gig together. After the night was over we burned our cheesy tuxedos out in the parking lot.

• Members

A few years ago I travelled to Zurich to play a new year's eve gig with Rei$$dorf Force as well as do a solo act. The weather was hell leaving the US, and my flight had been canceled. Fortunately the lady behind the counter at Delta managed to come up with a Byzantine route that got me into Cologne (the starting point of the tour) in time to make the tour bus to the gig.

Only problem was my luggage and gear didn't show up. I went there with the clothes on my back, and of course, everything was closed because of the holidays. I wasn't able to play the gig (which was a shame, the audience was fantastic but at least I enjoyed the other acts).

The tour went on for several days and the airlines never found me. A few days into the tour, my clothes were able to walk by themselves until the stores opened back up and my luggage was finally located. Oh well.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

A few years ago I travelled to Zurich to play a new year's eve gig with Rei$$dorf Force as well as do a solo act. The weather was hell leaving the US, and my flight had been canceled. Fortunately the lady behind the counter at Delta managed to come up with a Byzantine route that got me into Cologne (the starting point of the tour) in time to make the tour bus to the gig.

Only problem was my luggage and gear didn't show up. I went there with the clothes on my back, and of course, everything was closed because of the holidays. I wasn't able to play the gig (which was a shame, the audience was fantastic but at least I enjoyed the other acts).

The tour went on for several days and the airlines never found me. A few days into the tour, my clothes were able to walk by themselves until the stores opened back up and my luggage was finally located. Oh well.

What is a disaster?

I'll take D words for $500 Alex.

• Members

My worst new years gig was the one that never happened.

A buddy of mine offered me a gig playing bass in a jazz quartet. His business was going to pull him away from the band for end of the year paperwork and he needed a replacement. It was cool, I was prepared to go...

the details... a 4 hr gig on a riverboat somewhere in Louisiana. Pay was $500, all food, flight and accomodations for the two or three days there. We would have couple of rehearsals before the show.

Of note... I was 19 years old at the time. You guessed it, they wouldn't let me on the boat because I didn't meet the drinking age requirement. It sucked.

The guy ended up taking the gig and said it was really good time. Duh!

• Members

BEST AND WORST -- Back in 2000, the hot gig anywhere was New Year's Eve. Our 5 piece band got booked into a hotel in Omaha for $2700, and additionally I got hired to DJ before the band for cocktail hour and during the breaks for another $1300.

About 2 weeks before the gig the hotel called and siad they had only had a dozen couples sign up for the party, so they needed to cut theit losses. My heart sank, I was going to do pretty well on this gig !!

But then came the magic words " We are certainly going to honor our agreement and pay you, you'll have a check on Monday"

They did.... my wife and I then went out and got a duo gig at a local country club 10 minutes from home for $650

So we (my wife was in the band) made $2380 for not playing and then $650 for playing... Sweeeet !!!

WORST -- Last year 2006 Made $1000 , had 103 temp...

Stefan

coverbandbook.com

• Members

I don't have bad NYE gigs. They've all been pretty cool.

The closest I came to a bad one was the night we were playing an outdoor party, and it was ridiculously cold (in Southern California terms, which meant it was probably in the low 40s). The gig itself was fine, but as a guitarist, I was having trouble even frettig chords, much less bending strings.

But that was 1988 or so. It's been awhile.

- Jeff

Archived