Presonus Firebox or Focusrite Saffire?

jacobo3d

• Members

Hello everybody,

Yes, this is another kind of "this one or that one" question. Sorry about that :).

I've recently got a TC Electronic Konnekt 24D as audio interface for my laptop. I'm pretty happy with the sound quality for the price range, but I'm really unhappy with the unit performance. I've been having latency, drops and clicks, audio interruptions, etc... Latest drivers version didn't work, so I was using older versions. They work better (weird), but with a lot of limitations (latency problems, impossible to use high samples rates, etc..)

So.. tired of trying all of the recomendations I've been reading in this forum (Konnekt 24D review done by Anderton... good job) and those Mike Martin gave me (thanks for that, by the way), being complainting to the TC support team and don't get any useful help yet (after two weeks trying to get any response), I've decided to return it back, and go for another different interface (I'll do it next week, so maybe the new drivers will come out before that and they will fix my problem... it sounds like a miracle to me, but you never know..).

After have a look around (again), I've been considering the following audio interface (I'm open to other different options, of course):

- Presonus Firebox

- Focusrite Saffire

(so the range price is no higher than $500)

If anyone knows something about them, I'd really appreciate your advices.

The laptop I'm using for this is:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00651243&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1845521?=en

(Firewire chip is TI, by the way)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards (and Happy New Year).

Jacobo.

• Members

There's a review on the 1934 Inspire, the brother of the Firebox, check the review the Firebox is mentioned in that review too.

As far as your laptop, my understanding is, that the MoBo Chipset plays a big roll too. ;)

• Members

Thanks a lot for your response. I've heard somewhere else something similar about the Firebox... it's very stable.

I'll read the review, thanks!

I'm still checking different audio interfaces, so I've decided add EMU 1616m to the list. What do you think about it?

• Members

Originally posted by jacobo3d

Thanks a lot for your response. I've heard somewhere else something similar about the Firebox... it's very stable.

I'll read the review, thanks!

I'm still checking different audio interfaces, so I've decided add EMU 1616m to the list. What do you think about it?

I had the EMU1820M, I liked it a lot, I got into some money problems, and I sold it last year, I regret it now.

Never had problems with it, I recorded some of my songs with it.

• Members

Thanks again for your responses.

I think (tell me if I'm wrong), the main difference between the 1820m and the 1616m (besides the first one is PCI and the another is PCMCIA, obviosly), could be the mic preamps? I think the 1820m had some TFPro preamps, and the 1616m has XTC preamps. I don't know if there's much difference between them, or wich one is better.

I've been doing some research and almost everybody say good things about the 1616m... but I still don't know. I've heard very good things about the Firebox too (well... the same happened with the Konnekt 24D, and now I'm going to return it ;) ).

Just for the record, these are some of the audio interfaces I've been chekcing:

Presonus FIREPOD

PreSonus FireBox

Yamaha GO46

Focusrite Saffire

MOTU 8pre

Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro

E-MU 1616M

MACKIE ONYX 400F

Mackie Onyx Satellite

RME Fireface 400

Alesis iO 14

M-Audio FireWire 410

Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by jacobo3d

Thanks again for your responses.

I think (tell me if I'm wrong), the main difference between the 1820m and the 1616m (besides the first one is PCI and the another is PCMCIA, obviosly), could be the mic preamps? I think the 1820m had some TFPro preamps, and the 1616m has XTC preamps. I don't know if there's much difference between them, or wich one is better.

I've been doing some research and almost everybody say good things about the 1616m... but I still don't know. I've heard very good things about the Firebox too (well... the same happened with the Konnekt 24D, and now I'm going to return it
;)
).

Just for the record, these are some of the audio interfaces I've been chekcing:

Presonus FIREPOD

PreSonus FireBox

Yamaha GO46

Focusrite Saffire

MOTU 8pre

Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro

E-MU 1616M

MACKIE ONYX 400F

Mackie Onyx Satellite

RME Fireface 400

Alesis iO 14

M-Audio FireWire 410

Cheers!

The Alesis has everythign I want, I'm don't about the pre's, but for what I do, it'll be perfect, I'm wating for a review by Craig....:thu:

Archived