best and worst fadeouts

Hard Truth

• Members

As an auxillary to the other fadeout thread-List your favorite and/or least favorite (obvious cop-out) fadeouts in a recording.

A couple of my faves:

Beatles -Its All Too Much

Beatles-All you Need is Love

A very cool quasi-fadeout is Kid Rock's "Another MF Like Me." His voice is left up as he passionately sings "Like me" repeatedly while the band fades out. Finally you hear a voice from the control room talkback say something like "Hey, its not just about you, man."

• Members

Good: Rush had one ("Mystic Rhythms") that had a long fadeout, but actually had an end note... it was barely audible unless you turned the volume all the way up.

Bad: Rush, again... on "Different Strings", Lifeson goes into a killer, raunchy guitar solo that suddenly fades out and makes you go "WTF?"

• Members

The Smiths "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others"

The little fade in then out then in again at the beginning. Turns out that's how the engineers were designating a bad mix but Marr liked it so they just used that one on the final.

Not good or bad so much as memorable.

• Members

Originally posted by cooterbrown

Bad: Rush, again... on "Different Strings", Lifeson goes into a killer, raunchy guitar solo that suddenly fades out and makes you go "WTF?"

Hmmmm. I would have said that was a cool fade. They have this gentle, thoughtful song happening, and then Alex begins a simple solo....maybe just slightly rude sounding for the song...and then he cuts loose as the song fades. I thought it was really cool.

If they had left the fader up to include the solo the mood of the song would have been wrecked. By letting the song sort of trail off in a fade, it lent it an enigmatic quality.

Permanent Waves was a awesome album, by the way....every song.

• Members

On Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way" album, there were loads of songs that seemed abruptly faded out (eg: "Heaven Help", "Is There Any Love In Your Heart", "My Love"). It's cool as an effect for one song but I didn't really dig it several times in an album.

EDIT: Forgot to mention which Kravitz album.

• Members

As much as I love Stevie Wonder, the fadeouts on Songs in the Key of Life are mostly way too long (as are many of the songs for that matter).

On old vinyl, you can hear the mix change as the volume fades. I don't think they are moving anything but the master, but some hertz levels seem to fade consistently faster than others.

The fades on the jam tunes on Harrison's All Things Must Pass seem arbitrary - like, "ok, that's enough? a little more, less? ok, well just fade here howabout?"

nat whilk ii

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

As much as I love Stevie Wonder, the fadeouts on Songs in the Key of Life are mostly way too long (as are many of the songs for that matter).

I totally agree. "As" would be my favorite song in the whole world if it didn't keep going on, and on, and on, and . . . .

• Members

The one that stands out for me is Blondie's "Rapture," I think it's just before the line "now he only eats guitars" and then the levels come up for the guitar solo.

I've always thought it sounded like a mistake.

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

The fades on the jam tunes on Harrison's All Things Must Pass seem arbitrary - like, "ok, that's enough? a little more, less? ok, well just fade here howabout?"

Yeah...I think the jam sessions could have been left off of ATMP and it would have made the package stronger, even though there were some good ideas and playing, it didn't really amount to much.

• Members

Originally posted by Super 8

Hmmmm. I would have said that was a cool fade. They have this gentle, thoughtful song happening, and then Alex begins a simple solo....maybe just slightly rude sounding for the song...and then he cuts loose as the song fades. I thought it was really cool.

If they had left the fader up to include the solo the mood of the song would have been wrecked. By letting the song sort of trail off in a fade, it lent it an enigmatic quality.

Permanent Waves was a awesome album, by the way....every song.

Well... they could have let it go on just a little bit longer. :D

I agree with you that it's an amazing album.

All the more amazing when you realize they were still in their late 20s when they recorded it, and what a complete reversal of course they took from their previous albums.

For all it's classic rock-format ubiquity, "The Spirit of Radio" is still one of the most original and exciting rock songs ever written, IMO, and at that point in his career... Alex Lifeson had become a completely unique guitarist.

Archived