Recording and Mixing "Billie Jean"....

• Members

I just answered a great bunch of questions for my new pal rasputin1963.... I think you folks are ready for the following...

Billie Jean

The year is 1982. The song is "Billie Jean". "Billie Jean" is a perfect example of what happened, when I sat around dreaming awhile, about combining different recording techniques to produce a unique musical canvas, with a tremendous 'sonic personality'.

I recorded the drums, (played by my pal N'Dugu) with as tight, and powerful a drum sound as I could. Of course I put N'Dugus' drum set on my plywood drum platform.

Also at this time, I had a special kick drum cover made that covers the entire front of the kick drum. There's a slot in the cover with a zipper, where the mike fits through. When the kick drum mike is in place, in the slot in my drum cover, I zip the opening tight around the mike.

I brought in my good friend George Massenburgs' spectacular sounding, portable, 12 channel mixing console, and used it to record the rhythm section. With it I recorded the bass, drums and guitars on my analogue 16 track, with no noise reduction equipment in the way of that fantastic sound!

• Members

Bruce,

Great info- thanks!

May I also add that this is the perhaps the single recording that I heard on the most variety of systems- nightclubs, televisions, in cars, stereos, etc. everywhere one can imagine and it jumps out as sounding great on any playback system imaginable!!

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Swedien

The year is 1982. The song is "Billie Jean". "Billie Jean" is a perfect example of what happened, when I sat around dreaming awhile, about combining different recording techniques to produce a unique musical canvas, with a tremendous 'sonic personality'.

I recorded the drums, (played by my pal N'Dugu) with as tight, and powerful a drum sound as I could. Of course I put N'Dugus' drum set on my plywood drum platform.

Also at this time, I had a special kick drum cover made that covers the entire front of the kick drum. There's a slot in the cover with a zipper, where the mike fits through. When the kick drum mike is in place, in the slot in my drum cover, I zip the opening tight around the mike.

I brought in my good friend George Massenburgs' spectacular sounding, portable, 12 channel mixing console, and used it to record the rhythm section. With it I recorded the bass, drums and guitars on my analogue 16 track, with no noise reduction equipment in the way of that fantastic sound!

• Members

Bruce...

I have to say that I was extremely blown away when I first heard "Billie Jean" and it is still a wonder to listen to today. I was only 16 years old when I first heard it, and I used to listen to it on my home stereo, with my head in between two towering speakers. The ambience, the stereo spaciality(if there is such a word), the panning effects("Don't Think Twice!") was mind blowing. Such is the case with nearly the entire Thriller album. It was this song(and some others that came out around the same time) that propelled my interest in composing and recording. As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be a silly notion to even suggest you as an influence in myself getting into music in general:thu:

• Members

Thanks for the play by play Bruce,

I'm with Tucktronix, and probably several million others, who can say that Billie Jean made a huge impact on shaping my own sonic personality, taste, goals and expectations of recorded music. The Thriller album is just completely amazing.

The remark about MTV originally refusing to play it is also fascinating. Great thread, it's one of your best so far Bruce, thanks again...

• Members

I even had Michael sing some of his vocal overdubs through a five-foot-long cardboard tube. And then with the tube being picked up by the microphone.

Now, THIS is the good stuff!!! I'd LOVE to hear more about unorthodox recording techniques you have used, Bruce! Great stuff!! :thu:

• Members

On May 16, 1983, more than 50 million viewers watched Michael debut his famous moonwalk in a mesmerizing performance on the Motown 25 television special. I don't know about you, but I have never seen anything like that on televison before or since.

Bruce Swedien

:cool::thu::thu::cool:

I don't know about that....... check this out.......

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1467216&highlight=moon+walk

• Members

Originally posted by cooterbrown

Well, with N'dugu, Louis, and Triple-Scale Scott...how the hell could you go wrong?

Yeah... It's unbelievable that even a guy like Bruce is sometimes forced to work with second and third stringers. :mad:;)

Seriously, BJ is a fantastic song, performance and production all the way 'round. :thu:, Bruce!

Rick

• Members

Yeah, Billy Jean was a strong tune, and it really has a great groove with the drum & bass at the beginning.

There were some big changes in music occurring at that time, and Thriller was right up front when it happened. A lot of artists who had been big did not survive the transition into the 80's. Take the Beegees for example. During the 70's their music had strong grooves, and fresh sounding chord changes. Then the 80's happened and the Beegees sounded like warmed over 70's with a drum machine.

I remember the Jacksons "Destiny" album, and MJ's "Off the Wall" album, both of which sounded like good R&B 70's disco albums to me, yet Thriller has a new and different sound. It didn't sound warmed over. It was new.

Did you know what was happening, Bruce? I am also curious about why you didn't stick with what you were doing on "Off the Wall". Did you know that music was changing or were you trying to do something new? Also, were you aware of the impact that this was going to have?

By the way, I introduced my kids to "The Wizard of Oz" recently -which they loved-, and I thought I might show them a different interpretation of the same story, so I rented "The Wiz" for them to see. I wondered if your name would show up in the credits, and lo and behold there it was. I said to my wife; "Hey, that dude is on my internet forum". She said; "Oh".... Just thought I'd pass it on. :D

What was it like doing The Wiz? I liked everyone, but I really got a kick out of Nipsey Russell. Diana Ross had a solo tune where she really cut loose, and the camera was doing a close up the whole time. It looked to me like she wasn't lip syncing, it looked like a live take. Is that correct? That girl's got some strong pipes.

Thanks for sharing, Bruce. :)

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Yeah, I wasn't quite ready for it. So sudden 'n' all...
:D

Oh I am. Got my plywood drum thingy, and my cardboard singing tube all ready for record'n. I'm all about hi-tech!

• Members

One other thought.

I don't know if this is worth asking or not, but do you know MJ well enough where you could contact him and get him to answer questions about his music on the forum? No personal questions pertaining to his life or anything, just about his music and his work as a musician. What a history that guy has.

Just curious....

• Members

Originally posted by audioicon

When I listen to Michael Jackson, I'm actually listening to Bruce.

I have probably listened to Thriller a gazillion times because it was the album that made me start recording and writing myself.

It came out when I was just a little kid.

After getting to know Bruce and reading the stories about how it was made I listen to MJ's albums differently....

I can not dance to them anymore but I disect everything and listen to the production techniques.

Booshy

• Members

Originally posted by techristian

I think that "Billy Jean" is on of the "hottest" songs ever recorded. You must of had the VU Meters bouncing off the end for that one Bruce !

Dan

Dan.....

My buss levels, on my mixes, are usually "0" VU.... The fact that "Billie Jean" is percieved as "HOT" has to do with it's "Sonic Personality', nothing else!

I never do mixes that have the VU Meters bouncing off the end!!!

Bruce

:cool::thu::cool:

• Members

Originally posted by boosh

I have probably listened to Thriller a gazillion times because it was the album that made me start recording and writing myself.

It came out when I was just a little kid.

After getting to know Bruce and reading the stories about how it was made I listen to MJ's albums differently....

I can not dance to them anymore but I disect everything and listen to the production techniques.

Booshy

Booshi-Wooshi...

Thanks.... You are a Gasser!!! A bona-fide, top-drawer, upper-crust Gasser!!!

Bruce

:cool::thu::cool:

• Members

Its definitely one of the top grooves of all time!

One morning she just showed up! Kind of like a stalker, almost. She had accused Michael of being the father of ONE of her twins... Is that possible?

I don't think so....

I don`t know why but I really do believe Mr. jackson on this.

:thu:

Be Lucky,

EB

• Members

For the edification of the assembled: Yes, it IS possible for human fraternal twins to have two different fathers and it is documented.

In fact, did I ever tell you about my distant cousins, two brothers, Alphonse Jr and Clem Jr...?

Just kiddin'. About the cousins thing. But the twins part is true:

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070105033957AAuH7sW

Archived