Does anyone know of a good (free) Vocal plug in? (VST)

justcrash

• Moderators

Originally posted by Gus Lozada

What do you mean "vocal" ?

EQ, Rev, Delay, Chorus... Harmonizer... ?

hmm good question (new to home recording)... maybe something with different mic simulators... but really, anything that can help me (a mediocre singer at best) sound better. :)

• Members

Originally posted by justcrash

anything that can help me (a mediocre singer at best) sound better.
:)

Singing lessons and vocaltraining is what you need. Forget about plugins.

A good mic

A good voice

A good mixing engineer

A good reverb

That's it,..... no hocus pocus needed.

• Moderators

Originally posted by boosh

Singing lessons and vocaltraining is what you need. Forget about plugins.

A good mic

A good voice

A good mixing engineer

A good reverb

That's it,..... no hocus pocus needed.

Ok, I just dropped $1200 on equipment, so I can't afford a better mic.

Now back to my original question....

Does anyone know of a good (free) Vocal plug in which will cover (for Boosh's sake) a good mic, and good vocal reverb? (VST)

• Members

There rarely are any good free reverb plug-ins. Certainly, I've never seen one. For free, they're usually things like sonic manglers, filters, odd delays, etc.

For free and good reverb, route your vocals out to a speaker in the bathroom or other reflective room, and then mic it up at the other end and bring it back in to your DAW. Vary the distance of the microphone in the room to get the reverb you want, experimenting with the location and distance.

I use a lot of delay in my mixes on vocals so I can go really easy on the reverb (or sometimes not use reverb at all). You should be able to get a free (or cheap) delay if you look around. I personally don't know of any, but I'll bet they are out there. I love using this odd sounding delay called a Tel-Ray Variable Delay, which is a plug-in emulation of an oil can delay used in the 1950s. Whether it sounds like the "real thing", I'm not sure, but it sounds odd, and can be quite useful on vocals (although not all the time). You can also patch an analog delay guitar pedal into your DAW and that'll work good.

To make the vocals sound better, vocal lessons, practicing/learning good mic technique, and learning good mixing techniques are all the best way to make a mediocre voice sound better.

• Members

As stated above no plugins will improve your vocals. Just practice and record yourself to see where you need to improve.

Some plugins you could try:

Digitalfishphones

Voxengo

Kjaerhusaudio.com

KVR and Audiomastrmind are good sources for plugins.

IMHO There is no set way of doing this. You will just have to experiment until you come up with the sound you like. It helps to listen to CDs that have been professionally mastered as a reference point.

Search for articles on "recording vocals" and "vocal processing" in these forums or on the internet.

Best Wishes

• Members

Originally posted by justcrash

Ok, I just dropped $1200 on equipment, so I can't afford a better mic.

Now back to my original question....

Does anyone know of a good (free) Vocal plug in which will cover (for Boosh's sake) a good mic, and good vocal reverb? (VST)

Unfortunately, there's not much in the way of making someone a "better" singer in terms of plugins. There is a free pitch correction plug, but it really only works for minor tweaks, if a singer's pitch is all over the place it will sound very fake trying to correct all the problems. Good mic technique is esential as well, such as knowing how to soften hard syllables and "esses" and attenuating loud passages by singing off axis.

From a mic prespetive, a mic is only as good as the source and room the source is recorded in and it is pretty much impossible to remove a bad room from a track. Forget about mic emulation and do the best with what you have. On the cheap I would reccomend recording in a walk in closet, using digitalfishphones compression, and then adding reverb using SIR.

See the Free Stuff thread for a ton of ideas.

• Members

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide

Hushy-Mouschi...

Me too!!!!!!

We have to sit down at the lake this summer when you come to Switzerland

Angelo

Only if you arrange one of them purple cows with a logo on the side ;)

Archived