PSST...anyone gettin together for a NAMM dinner?

gearmike

• CMS Author

Originally posted by UstadKhanAli

Wow, there's been a lot of activity since I bumped the thread this morning.

I was just thinking about asking you if you knew about any dinner plans this year. You seem to be pretty good about finding free eats. Looks like it's getting kind of complicated over there on the Keyboard place, and a little expensive.

Maybe another night with a smaller group. Though just for the record, a couple of years ago we had an AES dinner (mostly rec.audio.pro, Ampex, and Pro Audio lists) at Buca in San Franciscio, with about 80 people, pre-ordered, and there was plenty of food.

The trouble with going to a place once a year is that you never remember the names of restaurants that you've gone to. There was a new Italian place that was open for NAMM last year a couple of blocks toward the convention center from Buca that was pretty nice and may not have been discovered yet. And the Mexican place next to the Chinese place, on, I think, Chapman, also a couple of blocks from Buca, across Harbor.

Remember when in the goode olde days we used to just pick a night and meet at the restaurant reservations booth at the convention center and count noses? I don't know if that will still work.

• Members

Originally posted by MikeRivers

I was just thinking about asking you if you knew about any dinner plans this year. You seem to be pretty good about finding free eats. Looks like it's getting kind of complicated over there on the Keyboard place, and a little expensive.

Well, I do like food, and I like hanging around cool people, so....I don't know how expensive Buca will be. I always go to these dinners with the assumption that I will pay, but then frequently not paying for it because someone such as Chuck from Sweetwater or Keyboard Magazine will pick up the tab.

Happy Birthday, Gus!!

• CMS Author
Originally posted by Jeff da Weasel

... so that's why I bought you a mountain of sushi in San Francisco?
:D

Darn, Jeff! I keep looking for you at shows hoping I can get you to buy me dinner and I never see you any more. You must be avoiding me. ;)

• Members

You gotta be in the right place at the right time, Mike. When I'm buying mountains of sushi, the right time is usually after my fifth beer.

- Jeff

Mike, we all got Jeff trashed just so he would pick up the tab. Works every time!! :D

foxtickjeffbunny.jpg

• CMS Author

You gotta be in the right place at the right time, Mike. When I'm buying mountains of sushi, the right time is usually after my fifth beer.

Ah, that's my problem. I don't usually last through the third beer before I fall asleep hungry. Oh, to be 35 again, at least for a few days. ;)

I'll be there at the KC dinner if they'll have me. :) I'm glad they moved it to Thursday - I'm playing at a charity concert for the Fender Center's Kids Rock Free program at a place called Loffler's (on Katella) on Friday night.

Mike, I got your PM... I'll be there Thursday - Saturday. At least that's the plan as of right now. :wave:

• CMS Author

Will someone who has figured it out please tell me what time it is. No, Jeff, not what time it is NOW, what time the dinner is. If it's late enough, I might be able to make it.

I tried to use the "contact" page on Dave Bryce's web site, but after entering security codes about six times with two different web browsers, I gave up.

Oh, never mind. I guess Dave's web site doesn't really care about the security code, or doesn't tell you that you did it right. In case there are any stragglers:

7:30 PM Thursday

Buca Di Beppo

Cost and menu unknown, but there's bound to be a lot of food. Guessing around $30

Archived