Craig: I have a question about dither.

motord

• Members

Hi.

I'm going to be doing a budget mastering job on some of my own stuff soon, and I would like to be sure I use dither properly.

I'm planning on bouncing the mixes in PT to stereo 24 bit, 48 K files, then mastering in PT with waves and other plugs.

I'll use the L1 last in the chain, and convert the files to 16 bit, 441K upon bouncing from the mastering session.

My question is, should I set the L1's "quantize" control to 16 bits, because that's where the file is headed, or 24 bit, because that's the word length of the pre-master? What difference does it make? I assume I should set it to 24 bit. Am I correct?

I just read the chapter on dithering from Bab Katz's "Mastering Audio" book, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the concept.

Thanks alot to any and all.

• Members

Ok - I need to revise my question. I dug out my L1 manual (what a concept), and it says to set the quantization to 16 bit for a track that will end up on a CD.

My real question is this: If the L1 is effectively changing the bit depth of my file from 24 to 16 bit at the output, what is happening when I tell PT to "convert after bounce" to 16 bits?

Is this a redundant process? Confused.

Thanks.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by motord

My real question is this: If the L1 is effectively changing the bit depth of my file from 24 to 16 bit at the output, what is happening when I tell PT to "convert after bounce" to 16 bits?

Is this a redundant process?

Yes. Reducing the word length to 16 bits should be the last thing you do and it should only be done once. You can do it with ProTools' convesion (do they use Apogee UV22 in the version you have?) or use the L1, but not both. You can agonize over which one sounds better, or if you really want to overdo it, which one sounds better on each song.

But unless you'll be manufacturing the CDs yourself, you might as well send the 24-bit files to the mastering/manufacturing plant and let them do the dirty work. They might be better equipped than you for it.

Archived