Should producers/talent agents'labels keep your recordings?

audioicon

• Members

Just curious, I've always seen disclaimer thats say "Recordings are our property and will not be return." Do labels have the right to do that? Say I was sending my recordings to a label, requested by them for audition to get recording deals, do they have the right to keep my recordings?

Audioicon

• Members

If you simply give them a copy of a recording (in whatever format) without granting them any license to the work it's a copy of, all you've given them is that copy. By stipulating that they're not responsible for returning any copies sent them, they just save themselves some headaches. (Mind you: I would have been an English major if I had ever declared and I've lost every traffic court case I ever fought.)

Not that you can EVER trust a label, big or small, or any suit any time in the music biz... :D

• Members

Unless you specifically request it get returned, and if you do its a good idea to include a self addressed envelope to do so, then yes, they would keep it. It's very uncommon to request a demo being submitted for consideration to a label or agency, and IMHO very unprofesssional. Perhaps they like what they hear and want to pass it on to another in the office, or a potential producer, club owner, etc.

CD's are cheap to press, it'll cost you as much or more to have it returned in postage as the pressed disc if you do them on the cheap.

Archived