I haven`t been this enraged in I don`t know how long...

• Members

About 10 days before Christmas, I sent my master into a "Disc Making" service... ahem... and payed the additional $800 for them to design a booklet. Well, here we are 3 weeks later and we still have yet to settle on the design due to the most thoughtless revisions I never thought I would see.

I have turned down three designs thusfar but what is the most infuriating thing is that after the first draft, I supplied very specific design ideas (because I realized they were completely nowhere near where I envisioned), but they apparently are not reading my directions because they continue to make mindless mistakes.

I just received my 3rd set of proofs this evening and I had to control myself from punching a hole in the monitor after I saw such impossibly stupid errors AGAIN.

Apparently, whoever designs these things does not look at what they are working on because they used the same text and photos in the booklet twice.

I`m just so enraged...

• Members

Ernest,

Maybe you'd prefer not to, but why not send me versions of the work as it stands now, let me take a look at just what they're bollixing up...

I'm a published graphic artist (really!). My posters were selected by L.A. graphic artist Leslie Cabarga (highly respected dude, lemme tell ya) to appear in his 2001 book,

THE DESIGNER'S GUIDE TO GLOBAL COLOR COMBINATIONS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designers-Guide-Global-Color-Combinations/dp/1581801955/sr=1-6/qid=1168312991/ref=sr_1_6/202-3134048-5337457?ie=UTF8&s=books

I'm a musician, too, which may or may not be a plus for you.

Dave (rasputin)

rasputin@gvtc.com

• Members

Would you care to name names? I'm prepping my package for a duplicator right now.

To be fair to whoever it is, they are a disc-making service, not a graphic design studio.

I'm doing my own graphic design, so I'm more interested in the audio QC of your discs.

• Members

Would you care to name names? I'm prepping my package for a duplicator right now.

To be fair to whoever it is, they are a disc-making service, not a graphic design studio.

I'm doing my own graphic design, so I'm more interested in the audio QC of your discs.

To be fair, I have done business with this company in the past and I was very satisfied with their work: the design and the audio QC. So I don`t want to name anyone, I`m just hoping they`ll get their act together after we speak today.

However, this experience has me seriously considering doing the design myself next time.

FYI: I`m not into graphic design, I just don`t like it personally. I more into photos in which we took lots of photos and the feel of the design is industrial and grimy which is the best way to describe it so I wasn`t looking for anything different than a straight ahead and clear design.

What is bothering me is that they are placing the same text (my thank yous) on two pages so this tells me whoever is designing the booklet is not reading what he is working on. Also, they are chopping my lyrics up just to fit them in to their template when I gave them specific layouts that I wanted.

Very frustrating and aggravating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't see why your only options are to have your disk duplicator do the graphic design or do it yourself. :confused: Just find somebody who's specifically good at graphic design and who has a portfolio you can see that you like. That's what we do. Then we just turn in the completed artwork to the disk duplicator (or printer if it's merch), and if they have any issues with it they punt it back to the designer to correct. It's a crapshoot to limit your choice to a couple of people who just happen to work at the duplication place.

Not meaning to pick on you when you're going through this, Ernest - that really sucks and I relate to your frustration. :(. This is addressed to your comment about what to do for the future.

• Members

If all you're looking for is cover art and sleve design, I've had PHENOMINAL results with www.waltzillustration.com for other projects in the past. The owner is a guy named Matt, and he's great. One of those nut jobs that went all the way through college for an art degree. He specializes in CG illustration and such, but can do amazing things in general from web design to business cards (i've had him do both for me).

If you call him, tell him Ryan referred you, I don't get a dime but at least it's an in. any resource is better than no resource...

• Members

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the advice, it looks like my disc making company finally started to listen to me after an uncharacteristic email from yours truly. Then I spent a nice 20 minutes on the phone with the supervisor in the art department spelling out what I wanted. They finally got very close to what I envisioned with the 4th revision.

Lesson learned: BE AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE NEXT TIME. Every detail needs to be spelled out and then confirmed over the phone with a real human being.

I will consider an alternative next time. Like I said in a previous post, I did work with them several years ago and was very pleased with the results. This time I just felt they were not reading my emails with all my notes.

I`m expecting a hard copy of the design today!

Archived