Recording In REALLY Small Spaces!!

boosh

• Members

Okay now,...pay attention!

We've talked about this before.Recording in small spaces.

This thread is not to complain,bitch or moan because I am very proud and happy of my little place here.

I just thought it would be cool to show you guys what I use to create stuff and where it all happens.

I'm gonna take you on a small clockwise photographed tour through my massive studio complex.

We will start the tour by watching an overview shot from the main entrance door:

studio01.jpg

As you can see the workplace is very organized and set up as handy as possible. Everything is within reach which is remarkable because I have so much room to put stuff.

Let's go to the next picture and watch the main station:

studio02.jpg

Now let's start at the bottom left:

On the floor where my left foot rests about 8 hours a day is a Behringer V-Ampire guitarAmp. I use it to practisce my guitarskills and chops.In the utter left corner is a didgeridoo which is clutted up so it don't work,..I call it a didgereedon't now.

Above the Amp is My M-Audio Oxygen 8 keyboard controller which I use to play diddles on in Nuendo and I use the knobs to control virtual instruments.

Right next to the Oxygen 8 is my old Technics stereo system. It's my amp and I still use the original loudspeakers as monitors. Why? Because I know how they sound and I've used them for 15 years now.

Behind all this is a curtain and behind the curtain is the street we live in.

Next to the Technics is my Behringer Mixer,...it has pre-amps built in and it was the only one I could afford. Again I know the sound and it works well for me.

There's also some rubbish,a beercan,a jar of clonex which I use to root seedlings of my marihuanaplants.

Under the the table is my PC:

Windows XP

3Ghrtz Ram

1gig Memory

400Gig Harddisk

Nuendo3.0

Wavelab

and about 180 gigs of samples,plugins,Vstis and Graphics software.

There's also that Danelectro Nifty Fifty Amp which I just love and it RAWKS!

Next pic,....right wall:

studio03.jpg

A stack of my favorite Cds and my new Epson Printer/Scanner/Copier Thingy Appliance.

Next Pic: Wall behind me:

studio04.jpg

A little cabinet which holds a secret

A Coke bottle filled with water.

A Gibson Les Paul Standard 1976

An empty beercan

Okay,.....if you really want to know,...what's inside the cabinet,....look at the next pic:

studio05.jpg

Yups,.....what is a real major studio without it's own supply of freshly grown HERB,.........

Last Pic :

studio06.jpg

The guitarrack,....

A Gibson LP case with an awesome sounding $100 white LP clone made in China.

A steelstring acoustic.

2 Spanish acoustics.

a Yamaha electric with Humbucker and singlecoy.

Ah what I forgot,....on the rightwallpic you can see my only Mike. A Shure SM58.

This is my room,....this is where I'm at about 8 hours a day,...

I have a dayjob which takes 9 hours,...a family that takes 4 hours and my studio which takes 8.

Imagine how much sleep I get.

Weird facts:

Most people in my studio at once: 9

Most empty beercans in my studio at one time : 39

Most guitarplayers in my studio at once : 3

Police came to look what's happening about 4 times.

One time two rabbits and a cat took a dump on the studio floor.

My son Skip,...2 years old sings a few lines in my studio each day.

Skip took a dump and pissed on the floor 2 times.

Okay now,....hope you enjoyed the tour and for now,...Bye.

For Bruce:Do I qualify to be a member of the recording in small spaces community?

For Ken:See,.....I'm even more Guerillarecording than you are ;)

For Where90210,....This is the reason some people have to buy Behringer to realize their dreams my man. Sometimes there isn't even enough $ to buy Mackiestuff.

Fact where I'm proud of: Some of the top audioengineers heard studd I did in my room and gave me compliments and heads ups ,...they didn't know I'm using what I'm using and when they heard my story they were amazed.

Thanks for taking this tour.Hope to see you again.

Booshy Wooshy

• Members

Okay,.....if you really want to know,...what's inside the cabinet,....look at the next pic:

Whoa, pictures of that sitting in your home?!! I can't imagine why you'd post pictures on a public forum!

Then came your signature line...

"booshi-wooshi.....a weird ass from Holland..."

Ah... Holland. I get it now.

• Members

Nice Boosh.

Id highly recommend some sound absorbers. Your wood floor along with an untreated ceiling in such a small space is causing more issues than you can imagine. The 703 fiberglass panels can be a very inexpensive solution.

I have hung some from the ceiling and placed others along the walls stratgegically to eliminate the nasty small-space reflections.

Hey, you gave me so much &^*& over the herb when I was there - now you are producing it. You owe me one. :wave:

• Members

Nice Boosh.

Id highly recommend some sound absorbers. Your wood floor along with an untreated ceiling in such a small space is causing more issues than you can imagine. The 703 fiberglass panels can be a very inexpensive solution.

I have hung some from the ceiling and placed others along the walls stratgegically to eliminate the nasty small-space reflections.

Hey, you gave me so much &^*& over the herb when I was there - now you are producing it. You owe me one. :wave:

• Members

Nice Boosh.

• Members

Whoa, pictures of that sitting in your home?!! I can't imagine why you'd post pictures on a public forum!

Then came your signature line...

Ah... Holland. I get it now.

This is the Netherlands man,. ;) Groovy,..............:thu:

• Members

Nice Boosh.

Hey, you gave me so much &^*& over the herb when I was there - now you are producing it. You owe me one.
:wave:

This is what I have Ken,..and this is what I use,... My next studio will be something Bruce has I'm sure. The door behind my back is allways open and that takes the sound away. No need for absorbers of any kind. There's a huge hallway behind my back.

About the Herb,.... I don't smoke the Herb,....well maybe two puffs once a year because it makes me not hear High tones. When I smoke Pot I allways mix in basses too damn heavy and loud.

You were a Yankee stuck in Amsterdam. You took two puffs of the Herb and completely forgot the leather gloves your wife gave you. I was sent there for your protection man,... don't ya get it? GW asked me to take care of you and warn you for dutch smokables.

Ahhh,... and another thing,....stop repeating yourself,....

• Members

>> For Ken:See,.....I'm even more Guerillarecording than you are >>

Maybe so, but what matters is that you are doing it. Cool.

What size is that room? Mine is about 9x12 ft. (a little less than 3x4 meters), although for the actual recording, I have an audio snake that slips under the doors and out to the living room, which is about 12x17 ft., not a huge room either, but certainly larger than the tiny room the recording equipment is housed in.

It takes a lot of extra care to record something that sounds awesome in such small places. But at least you can do it and have something that does sound great.

I still think you would benefit from some acoustic panels like Kendrix mentioned even if your back door opens up to a larger hallway.

• Members

Hiya Ken ;)

I actually have a stack of wood that I used for the flooring and was thinking about putting that on the ceiling in Layers.All crooked and panelled(is that the right word?).

The room size is : 2 by 2 meters which is I guess about 6 ft by 6 ft.

• Members

Hiya Ken
;)

I actually have a stack of wood that I used for the flooring and was thinking about putting that on the ceiling in Layers.All crooked and panelled(is that the right word?).

The room size is : 2 by 2 meters which is I guess about 6 ft by 6 ft.

Yes, that's right. It looks larger in the pictures. But again, it's just cool that you are doing it. Wouldn't we all love to have 20x20 meter spaces.

You're trying to create diffusion. That's definitely not my area of expertise. I used to create diffusion by having a bookcase or two in the back filled with books. Good cheap way to create diffusion on a budget.

I have four RealTraps. They work well. I could use more, but where the hell do I put them? :D I guess I could hang them from the ceiling, but I am not going to do that - I do not want to be sitting under anything heavy that I mounted in EarthquakeLand, California! :D

• Members

I do not want to be sitting under anything heavy that I mounted in EarthquakeLand, California!
:D

I do not want to be sitting under anything that I mounted anywhere or anyplace on this world,.......I'm not much of a constructor ;)

Archived