The new look of the forum

where02190

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like it. It looks way more professional. It also is more user friendly. The layout takes a minute to get used to. My eyes are trained to read towards the middle, but now the text is all the way to the left. I'm still getting the same size text as before. Maybe you can adjust the settings in your browser?

• Members

I kind of wish the user name and pic was on the left. Now a post stretches all the way across the screen, which is a lot on a 21" set for 1280x1024.

I wonder if there is a setting where the posts will only format to a certain width?

It looks a lot better, but long spans of text don't read well. I'm glad that most websites have gone to a layout that sticks within a typical centered layout that

doesn't span any wider than 800 pixels.

Admin:

Can you adjust the "span width" for posts?

• Members

The size of the text appears to be the same to me. The width is obviously changed and is a lot wider, but so far on my screen, doesn't seem to be a problem. Overall, I like the new look much better, although for some reason, I cannot seem to figure out how to use the Quick Reply Function (hitting one of the keys first to activate the Quick Reply).

• Members

I kind of wish the user name and pic was on the left. Now a post stretches all the way across the screen, which is a lot on a 21" set for 1280x1024.

I wonder if there is a setting where the posts will only format to a certain width?

It looks a lot better, but long spans of text don't read well. I'm glad that most websites have gone to a layout that sticks within a typical centered layout that

doesn't span any wider than 800 pixels.

Admin:

Can you adjust the "span width" for posts?

Check out the quote now - cool :D

• Members

Could you guys go take this poll I posted in OJ about the user name and avatar being above each post?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499335

It really needs to go back on the left. It interrupts the flow of reading having the user name and avatar above each post and I have text spanning the whole screen.

• Members

Otherwise, this forum update RULES! This is the absolute best forum update I've ever seen. This software is totally radical! The best forum software I've had the pleasure of using.

I seriously appreciate the work and efforts of all the great people who make the forums possible. :thu:

• Members

The size of the text appears to be the same to me. The width is obviously changed and is a lot wider, but so far on my screen, doesn't seem to be a problem. Overall, I like the new look much better, although for some reason, I cannot seem to figure out how to use the
Quick Reply
Function (hitting one of the keys first to activate the Quick Reply).

Wait until you see how it works! Once you get that going on, the page doesn't even reload! It just keeps adding new posts! It's like some serious voodoo, man!

The edit functions are wonderful. I'm getting quite giddy over here and should probably stop posting about the erotic qualities of the new update. :love:_~

• Members

No, he's old.
:p

LOL...twice, maybe three times...

I'm actually rather enjoying this new forum experience. The features are fun and lurking everywhere like rabbit eggs!

Check this cool tip I picked up in OJ:

When you hover over a thread title, it gives you the first bit of the post inside...the alt tag is the first portion of text in the post! Yeah!

Combined with The IN Crowd rocking, the new update rules!

• Members

From my perspective as someone who designs websites and other graphic-oriented things, it looks muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch, much better.

Like, 18.3 times better. That's a lot better.

- Jeff

As somebody who also sits naked typing in notepad, I think it looks great, too!

And I used to just sit and read the thesarus and the dictionary for knowledge and entertainment.

Now it's Wiki. I also found a site where I can sit and search for strings of numbers in Pi. And just based on that, I'm going to say that 18.3 sounds about right. I would think about maybe adding a factor of ten, though.

• Moderators

Remember Daryl Hanna in Splash? She's the mermaid and Tom Hanks is dragging her through NYC. She stops at the red flashing DON'T WALK sign and says, "Pretty!". That's how I feel right now. Just like a mermaid in NYC! And it doesn't squash Astro Boy making him look pudgier than he is already. Astro Boy is happy.

• Members

Actually I have very good eyesight. I find the blue backround makes the text very diffcult to read, I prefer more contrast, as the old setup was.

I see the overwhelming majority prefer the name and avatar back on the left, over 80%. Forum Moderators, please take note!!!!!!!

• CMS Author

Otherwise, this forum update RULES! This is the absolute best forum update I've ever seen. This software is totally radical! The best forum software I've had the pleasure of using.

Dammit! I used to know how to work it. Now I need a friggin' manual. Or you just have to experiment to figure out what the functions do. First I had to figure out which icon the "Quick Reply" icon was, and then when I clicked on the "Mulit-Quote" icon to see what the heck that did, it doesn't appear to do anything.

But then I've found this to be the norm with a lot of software these days. They give you a lot of choices, but it's up to you to figure out what they really do so you can decide which option to select.

• Members

Yes we have taken note. I'm hoping that once some of the dust settles and we can access all the admin functions again, we'll be able to accommodate a few of these requests.

Thanks for the word! Please pass on that I am very grateful for the efforts of all involved! It's a great day!

• Members

Or you just have to experiment to figure out what the functions do.

That's what I did. I probed the control panel and all sorts of clickable items. I'm still noticing interesting new things here and there. It's different, but I think it's way more user friendly and intuitive. Maybe not intuitive (:D), but based on the old paradigm, it's an improvement on that.

I think they did a fine job updating and porting the contents and all the behind the scenes work that has been done to bring HC into the 21st century. Thanks MF, all the Experts on board, all the Mods, and all who contribute! :thu:

• Members

From my perspective as someone who designs websites and other graphic-oriented things, it looks muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch, much better.

Like, 18.3 times better. That's a lot better.

- Jeff

I don't doubt that the functionality is superior...I haven't explored that.

But to my eyes there seems to be excessive partitioning of the page going on. Someone mentioned the horizontal avatar/user info layout, and that's part of it. The way quotes are handled is another. I feel like I'm walking across an obstacle course. It's not horrible, and I'll get used to it. But A principal I use in design (and writing, and other things) is not to express something through multiple means if it's not necessary...'less is more', I guess. Since you are a website designer, I'm curious what you think about that.

Archived