Who Here Listens to Internet Radio?

Anderton

• Members

I actually DJ for one.

Ohio University's college radio station, ACRN, has been online since 1998, and was one of the first internet radio stations-I got involved with it during my first quarter at OU, and it's been a lot of fun.

We recently moved our offices, so the station isn't "broadcasting" right now, but should back online Monday morning.

You can listen at www.acrn.com.

• Members

I used to listen to a German Internet radio station that was quite good frequently and then it went offline. I couldn't understand the language, but the music was awesome rock. I don't recall the call letters. I've not listened to much in more recent times but I know there is really some good stuff out there if you want to get away from the mainstream packaged music.

• Members

I've had a premium subscription to Live 365 for a couple of years now as well as having a substantial list of other net radio stations. It is a great place to find new music. One of my current faves is a Live 365 station called Arabix that focuses on contemporary Mid-Eastern stuff - a lot of interesting electronica-type things show up and some great rhythms. I have one of the Roku Soundbridge M1000 units that functions great as a internet radio device, as well as pulling stuff off my music server. The biggest problem is that there's so much good stuff to listen to.

• CMS Author

All the time. I have a regular set of favorite programs. And it really frosts me when they change their server and I have to go looking for them again because my player bookmark no longer works.

We used to have great broadcast radio around here, but the public radio stations that used to broadcast music that you can't hear on commercial radio have gone the take route. Fortunately there are still some community and college stations that have real people playing music that I enjoy.

But I can hear that eroding. I regularly listen to the Lunch With Folks program on KBCS over the net. When I was out in Seattle six years ago and discovered the station, the jocks (different one each day of the week) played what they were mostly interested in. Now there's much less of that and a playlist that they have to play from. So for the week that someone's coming to town, you hear the same song each day, then you don't hear them again until their next gig. Some I'd like to hear more of (so I guess I should go to the show, right????) and some I'd like not to hear every day - once is enough, thank you.

• Members

And if you do...is it a regular thing?

I'm finding lots of great stuff, and some sites have a "buy here" button to click if you hear something you really like.

As much as I like XM, I can find things on the net I could NEVER find on XM!

Don't listen frequently but it's not run/own by clear channel so the programming in not like a cereal box!

http://www.africaninternetradio.com/

Audioicon

• Members

I used too, and if I had more time for radio I probably would listen to that option more. I loved listening to different stations around the globe. I also sometimes tune in to Paranormal talk radio(Lou Gentile and others) once in a rare while.

• Members

I like to listen to IUMA not really a internet station but a lot of great unsigned artist.

I thought IUMA went off the net quite a while ago... first Vitaminic bought it and then, I assumed, Vitaminic collapsed. I went looking just now, found an IUMA with a .be suffix -- but it seemed dead, too.

Just wondering, since they were one of the first places I put my music but they always had a lot of problems. I guess they closed themselves to new submissions in 2001, according to the very brief Wikipedia page on them. That article says they went dark in early 2006 but I would have thought it was somewhat earlier... maybe they were still hanging on, even if their servers couldn't respond often or at all. Anyhow, it was kind of sad to see those pioneers go down. I still have a check for something like 13 cents from them. I KNEW they were in trouble when they started doing things like that... why run up a buck or two (or more) in costs paying someone 13 cents?

Anyhow, I do listen to SOME internet radio -- but I FAR prefer picking my own tunes on my 'on demand' subscription service, which is very reasonable ($6/mo/yearly; stream only) and uses higher quality 160 kbps ABR (average bit rate) WMAs.

I've been using a "radio" stream from that service (typically set to "Brazilian Jazz" which is interpreted so broadly as to include west coast salsa-flavored latin jazz from the 60s like Cal Tjader as well as contemporary Brazilian pop -- it's really kind of irritating what they include but it's mostly inoffensive music [and no slag at all on Tjader; love the guy]) as background music when I leave my cat by herself.

But there's no DJ or song-shuffling algorithm that is ever going to please me for long. I guess my tastes are simply too quirky and -- when I don't like a piece of music, I really don't like it. Life is too short.

I've fooled around with Pandora -- but I INVARIABLY have to turn it off, sooner, rather than later, because of the CRAP they insert into the streams -- musical crap, but crap nonetheless. WHERE do they find some of that content? Well, wait, since I'm one of the folks who always says 90% of everything is crap, I guess I have my own answer. (Still, if you pick your "stone in the pond" [a band name or song title] you can find some interesting stuff interspersed.)

Anyhow, if I'm sitting anywhere near the computer when Pandora is on I use up my "free skips" pretty quickly and once I have NO control over what I'm listening to it's over.

I probably listen to my on demand service at least 6-8 hours most days -- not counting background music for my cat.

[Like one or two others, I found myself gravitating toward the net as a primary source for music when my local, once-favorite, once-great, very high-budget "college" station (no college DJs, some college interns) which had once played a highly eclectic range of music from avant-pop to world oriented itself increasingly to being a "feeder" for the industry. There were some hushed up scandals, apparently, some payola issues (with at least one DJ who's still on the air) and a basic corporate sell out kinda vibe has taken over the station. It's hugely disappointing. Suffice it to say, though I was a subscriber/contributor for many years, I stopped giving them money when they started looking like painfully obvious sell-outs. Frankly, I think they ought to lose their public license. Sad as that is to say. If they're going to act like a commercial entity, sell commercials on their station, allow their DJs to take "considerations" -- they should have to pay for a license, pay royalties on their music, and pay taxes on income just like the commercial stations they've come increasingly to resemble. (They DO still have some good public affairs programming but the music side is pretty disgraceful.)]

• Members

I used too, and if I had more time for radio I probably would listen to that option more. I loved listening to different stations around the globe. I also sometimes tune in to Paranormal talk radio(Lou Gentile and others) once in a rare while.

I hadn't even thought about the internet streams from broadcast stations -- yes, I VERY DEFINITELY listen to streams and podcasts from (mostly) public radio stations around the country and the world. My otherwise very decent Yamaha receiver's tuner has always been one of the worst tuners of any I've owned -- no matter WHAT antenna was hooked up to it. (The antennas help -- so I assume it's not anything simple like a disconnect in the antenna circuit. When it was in my old studio, I blamed it on the immediate electronic environment, a couple computers, etc. Now I know that it simply doesn't work well at all. The $20 alarm radio in the bathroom is 10 times the tuner.)

So I find myself listening to favorite programs over the net.

Even when they're not podcast, I find that by looking around, I can often find a replay of a given show at a number of times during the week.

An INVALUABLE RESOURCE is http://www.publicradiofan.com/ (Public Radio Fan)

There are a couple minor quirks to its interface but it is, by and large, an EXCELLENT resource, a true exemplar of how an online, presumably RSS-fed database can be used as a public resource. (And, as far as I know, it's a volunteer operation done by one database programmer. He is my hero, my idol. I want to be like him if I ever grow up.)

I've found myself listening a fair amount to public station KBAQ (in Arizona)... It's a mostly serious classical station (they play full works as a rule, except at drivetime) and it's taken over from my own local classical public station, KUSC, which never seemed to recover completely from a management crisis in the 90s [the GM put his GF in as MD and it was a BFM of lame showtunes, cute "world" music and light classics for awhile until their subscribers -- of whom I was one -- revolted.]

One thing that -- for reasons I can't quite pin down -- greatly amuses me is hearing traffic reports from Arizona... they actually sound like they have worse traffic in Phoenix than LA,

• Members

And if you do...is it a regular thing?

I frequently listen to SomaFM, especially Drone Zone, Groove Salad, and Space Station Soma. This is the type of music you probably couldn't hear on a college radio station, let alone normal commercial radio.

• Members

I listen to a few different psytrance/goa streams. At first they were a great way of finding new artists I didn't know about, but after a while they all seem to play the same rehashed stuff, just like normal radio. Either boring progressive psy or annoying fullon (not to say that all progressive is boring or all fullon annoying). But every now and then there are some gems.

www.di.fm - Goa & Psychedelic Trance channel, Drum & Bass channel

www.psyradio.fm

www.triplag.com (all dark psy)

www.philosomatika.com

www.chromanova.de

Archived