Comet McNaught in the evening sky

• Members

Wow. Why have I not heard about this til now? I'd think that there'd be a writeup in the paper, or on yahoo news or something.

No, they're too busy talking about timberfake and kfed and rosie and tronald dump and britney spaniel and tom and whatserface's wedding and important {censored}.

• Members

I was a little surprised not to find American websites by the hundreds, who tell where and how. It was a very romantice christmas with this comet. I certainly will again climbe a hill tomorrow evening for a last time, then he is out of my angle.

Here a Java applet from the "Near Earth Obkject Programm":

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/db_shm?sstr=2006+p1

• Members

Wow, neat pictures.

I read the other day that if planet Earth were ever to be struck by a comet, we would all be vaporized by the heat well before the comet ever hit the ground.

Good to know, eh?

Indeed...

A mere 2kg comet fragment that exploded in the lower stratosphere is generally accepted as the cause for the Tunguska, Siberia disaster of 1908, which left no crater, but scorched 6000 sq km of forest, and produced energy equivalent to some of the largest hydrogen bombs ever tested by the USA or USSR. The blast was heard as far as 1000km away.

Archived