Alice Coltrane, R.I.P.

UstadKhanAli

• Members

As some of you know, I occasionally went to her ashram and had dinner with this incredible woman, spiritual leader, and gifted musician. I am sorry to say that she just passed away. We were lucky enough to have seen her perform last year after a 25-year hiatus, an all-too-rare treat. But I'm glad that she got the energy to perform one last time. I am sad for her passing and already miss her. May she rest in peace.

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2007/01/1406.html

• Members

I hadn't really spoken to her in a long time, but I can't help but wonder if she did that last mini-tour and CD largely because she somehow sensed that her time here on earth was coming to a close soon.

In either case, I've been in a bit of a mood today because of it. She really was a big inspiration to me as a person.

I thought of something as well, about how she was smiling and happy when she came out to greet people at her son's funeral (for those who don't know, I went to high school with John Coltrane Jr., and he was killed in an automobile accident), saying that John was okay now, and that he was in a good place now. I hope that she's in that happy place with her son and her husband now.

• Members

The album she did with Carlos Santana, Illuminations, would be a good introduction to her work for many people.

I actually don't have that one. I'll have to check it out.

I have "Journey Into Satchadinanda" "A Monastic Trio" "Huntington Ashram Monastery" and "World Galaxy". My favorite is the first one.

Archived