Steinberg has done it again!

alfonso

• Members

Ah, the perils of announcing software roadmap changes to the general public. Lives are shattered, marriages crumble, national trust is shaken.

Steinberg will continue. Products will evolve. A percentage of customers will be happy. A percentage won't. Another day on planet earth.

• Members

Blame it on Cakewalk. They captured a big bag of buzz with the release of their 64 bit engine with Sonar 5...

Of course, it took until Sonar 6 was announced for a lot of people to catch up to it. Does a 64 bit audio engine mean a big diff to many people? I dunno. CERTAINLY, people have been bitching for a few years about the "sound" of digital summing... I think CW's Sonar 5 release was the stone in the pond.

When the audio BB's seemed to light up this summer with the recognition that there was a 64 bit audio engine out (acutally TWO, since Mackie's Tracktion also has a 64 bit engine) I think Steinberg figured they had to get proactive...

I have to say one thing... having read a fair number people kvetching about unfixed bugs in the most recent Cubase(s) -- and then reading the opinions in that thread, I'm afraid Steinberg may have shot themselves in the foot with a bazooka. Maybe they should have put a couple interns on the fix-it case... At least they could say it was still in the works.

• Members

Wow! total outraged on there!

I never liked Cubase, too complex too un-welcoming.

Maybe I'm dumb but I lost all memory of Cubase after I opened Sonar.

Audioicon

WOW! I feel the same way about Cubase even the LE Version!

• Members

Woh !

The reaction over there is really something. I've never seen cubase.net so unanimous.

This was interesting :

Here in germany, software with severe bugs, that will not be fixed, can be returned.

Even 2 years after purchase !

That is the way it should be. Everywhere.

VST on my Mac was horribly buggy and sounded like kaka. But, I stuck it out and, after a lot of growing pains, I'm happy I did.

Steinberg really has been an incredibly creative company over the years. Now, since the release of SX, I love it. Pretty much everything about it fits me perfectly in the way I like to work and it sounds great.

Fortunately, I really haven't had any bug issues since SX, so, this announcement doesn't affect me, but, not everyone has the same hardware and uses all of the same functions, so, I sympathize.

• Members

Damn, what's the big hairy deal? Were there some major bugs in 3 that they promised they would fix or something? I still use SX2 and I couldn't be happier with it. I see no reason to update at all unless it adds some functionality that I really need. At any rate, Cubase is still the big kahuna when it comes to PCs IMHO. I took a look at Sonar and it seems exactly as complicated as Cubase (it doesn't look nearly as nice either).

• Members

Yep, I think that was the big, hairy deal all right. Steinberg had promised a set of fixes and finally said they were backing out of the promise to concentrate on developing a 64 bit platform.

If it makes anyone feel any better, Sonar took most of a year's update cycle a few versions back to get fixes that actually worked (fix one thing/break another/all developers have been there but it doesn't make the customers any happier) for a pesky set of bugs in the mute automation. (And just entres nous, I'm STILL not crazy about the way it works but at least it works.)

• Members

That's crazy. That may be the straw; I would think now wouldn't be the time to risk ticking off your customer base, but whatever. It's like how a certain political party were about a year ago, so brazen they just would say pretty much what they felt, regardless of the implications were of what they were saying.

There won't be many voting for that party this next time around; and I don't think Steinberg is going to find a lot of people willing to go for their product next time, either. That smug hide-behind-the corporate facade thing has become such a part of day-to-day life now, we just expect it and it sucks.

/ On the other hand, there's Reaper...

• Members

First it was the announcement of a USB Dongle a couple of years back with their only advice being to upgrade your machine(after everybody on the forum bitched about resource hits), then it was the dropping of Dir-X, now this. I probably missed a few here, but it seems like their chasing people away like Seinfelds Soup Nazi(no program for you today, now leave!). I jumped ship when the USB Dongle requirement of Nuendo 2 was announced, and every year I feel better about that decision(for various reasons), but I also feel for the people who are comfortable with Steinbergs apps and hope this isn't a result of corperate protocol, because if it is, Sonar(Roland), Digidesign(Avid),Logic(Apple), Samplitude(Magix),Traction(Mackie) and others might face similar policies in varying degrees.

• Members

I think there a few things going on here....

1. SX3 is fine... the bugs are minor... I own it and dont notice any.

2. Cubase.net is full of whiners... a select few of complete fools who post so much that there is no way they have any time to use a DAW.

3. SX4... its out... move on.

that said

1. I use Ableton now. I think all the other DAWs feel old.

2. Maybe the lead guys at Steinberg lost there way somehow with the Pinnacle and now Yamaha buy out. I mean if its not your own baby anymore...

Really the amount of whining being done... go work 2 days and make enough to buy another DAW.... JEEZ!!!!

We all need to go back to 4 track and feel the pain for a while then return here and BE HAPPY!

• Members

Having worked for music hardware and software developers/manufacturures I'd like to shed a little insight. First off, I'm not a Steinberg customer and have limited experience with their products. I have no clue what outstanding bugs that have to fix in their current version.

Back when I worked for a well known soundcard manufacturure there was a large demand for Gigasampler (GSIF) support in our driver. Our developer worked long and hard to complete it, and we had promised our customers that it would eventually be ready. Long story short, the developer quit just before it was ready for beta testing and the company was struggling financially and didn't have the resources to hire another driver developer to complete it. Back then, there were only a handful of people in the world capable of writing these drivers, and if my memory serves me correctly, each new type of driver written from the ground up cost about $20,000 in man hours.

The driver was never released and the company is no longer in business (for other reasons). There was a small backlash in internet forums like this one with people spouting all kinds of nasty things about us. The thing to always take into consideration is that most people that post on application specific forums are the ones with problems. Users that are working without issue are busy making music and don

• Members

Dylan, generally speaking what you say is very reasonable, but as an old Steinberg customer I've seen too much lack of transparency and correct communication with the customer base in these last years. The way payed upgrades have been output, for example from SX1 to SX2 while SX1 was awful and the SX2.0 a joke is out of anything acceptable.

But as it has been pointed very well, the main thing is transparency and an honest way to communicate "in time"(!!!!) decisions that can affect the users, like the DX thing and now.

After all this is Yamaha, not a starving little company.

• Members

Hey Dylan I respect your opinion but totally disagree with it. See this is where I judge a manufacturer. Sounds like you are saying if few people are having problems and the majority are not then the problem doesn't really matter.

Hey Audioicon,

This was not the point I was trying to make. Keep in mind that I stated that I was not aware of the problems with the program and was only trying to provide some insight to why they might have ditched the expected patch. I also said that it can be very difficult to reproduce a problem due to the vast number of hardware out there. I think that all major problems need to be addressed, even if it does only affect a small number of users.

Back at my old sound card company there were a dozen or so users that had an odd issue with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 at the time. We had a slew of hardware to test with and were not able to reproduce the problem no matter what we tried. It's quite possible that this scenario doesn't apply to the Steinberg situation.

• Members

...Really the amount of whining being done... go work 2 days and make enough to buy another DAW.... JEEZ!!!!

We all need to go back to 4 track and feel the pain for a while then return here and BE HAPPY!

I totally agree with you on that one. There are folks on that forum whose sole purpose in life is to report Cubase bugs. I would have loved to see them back in the early 90s when they couldn't get on the Internet and whinge all day.

--JBytes

• Members
There are folks on that forum whose sole purpose in life is to report Cubase bugs.

I'm sure there is as with any software, but in this case promised maintenence updates were reneged on, in which case all users have a legitimate bitch in this case. No way around that really, not to mention how bad that looks to potential customers.

Archived