Foam Insulation???

Ani

• Members

Sounds like a lot of money.

I didn't get a quote. It took them several days to reply, according to them they are very busy and out of the office a lot installing the insulation. They were just too far to try and do business with, although they were willing to give me a rough estimate via email.

I've used "canned" versions of what I assume is a similar type of product (expanding foam - IIRC, it was called "Great Stuff" or something like that) for sealing around gaps in fixtures in the studio when I was building it. It worked fine for that application, but I didn't use it as my main insulation - for that, I used standard fiberglass (R-13 / R-19 / R-30, depending on location), and for acoustical duties, R-30 and Owens Corning type 705.

As far as I know, that foam has little acoustical use other than sealing air gaps. I have no idea if it increases - or has any effect on the STC of a wall. But since it is a closed cell type foam, I wouldn't think it would do well as an absorber - only a sealant / insulator.

If they have any acoustical test data, I'd like to have a look at it. :wave:

BTW - I agree - $5K for one room is waaaay expensive. :eek:

• Members

I've used "canned" versions of what I assume is a similar type of product (expanding foam - IIRC, it was called "Great Stuff" or something like that) for sealing around gaps in fixtures in the studio when I was building it. It worked fine for that application, but I didn't use it as my main insulation - for that, I used standard fiberglass (R-13 / R-19 / R-30, depending on location), and for acoustical duties, R-30 and Owens Corning type 705.

As far as I know, that foam has little acoustical use other than sealing air gaps. I have no idea if it increases - or has any effect on the STC of a wall. But since it is a closed cell type foam, I wouldn't think it would do well as an absorber - only a sealant / insulator.

If they have any acoustical test data, I'd like to have a look at it.
:wave:

BTW - I agree - $5K for one room is waaaay expensive.
:eek:

I would suspect the acoustic data would be STC only, and because its lightweight would offer little or no acoustic value. Essentially you are right its only good for sealing cracks you can't get too. Its really not even good for that, you're better off using heavy weight peel stick barrier material.

• Members

If they have any acoustical test data, I'd like to have a look at it.

BTW - I agree - $5K for one room is waaaay expensive.

I didn't really see any acoustical test data, however, there was a lot of data pertaining to moisture barriers and mold resistance. I noticed, while looking around, some of the foam insulation sites were suggesting the spray foam as a "soundproofing" application and also noise reduction, but nothing specific to a sound studio environment.

After reading your post, I found this...

Insulating vs. Soundproofing

Insulation should not be confused with soundproofing. It is true that insulation, including sprayed insulation can provide a measure of noise reduction, but it does not do as much for acoustical control as other types of soundproofing material. To get really good soundproofing, acoustical foam tiles or special rubber insulations are necessary. These materials work to absorb sound and keep it from reverberating back into the room. A recording studio or home theatre for example, would benefit from these materials. Even soundproof windows can be installed to almost eliminate perceived noise. It is really the weather control that homeowners are going after when using blow in insulation.

http://www.soundproofing-tips.com/blow-in-insulation.html

The $5K + just about blew me out of the water. There are DIY applications that will cover 50 cubic feet starting at $600.00; they have the same specs and come with complete instructions and videos. I don't know... having allergies, mold is a concern.... but $5K is a LOT of money for one room. Hey, I would cringe at that price for the entire house. I could probably reinsulate my entire home with Owens Corning for less that $500.00 dollars.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everybody, I think I'll go with the Owens Corning in the studio area then. The only area in my home where mold might be an issue is underneath the house in the crawl space. I've looked at a few options for crawl space treatments, but in the research I've done, a sump pump installed in the crawl space will be more beneficial for starters than insulating it.

• Members

The local dealer here quoted me $5400.00 for ONE room measuring 10 x 24, while insulating the inside of a gable roof covering the same room as well. That seems a bit extreme.

We put it in our house when we built ten years ago. It's amazing stuff. I can't remember what it cost, but it was a bit more than fiberglass, but it was the only insulation recommended by the Am. Lung Association, because it won't hold water like fiberglass, therefore preventing mold. Our son had asthma, so it seemed a good investment. I know it wasn't that expensive and we live in Topeka, just an hour from KC. Our house is nearly 2.500 s.f. finished with an unfin. basement.

BTW, our attic is conventional blown-in insulation, not Icy. I'm getting ready to do Grandpa daycare, but I'll check the dealer here when I get a chance.

Henry (Henrysb3 from MP)

• Members

We put it in our house when we built ten years ago. It's amazing stuff. I can't remember what it cost, but it was a bit more than fiberglass, but it was the only insulation recommended by the Am. Lung Association, because it won't hold water like fiberglass, therefore preventing mold. Our son had asthma, so it seemed a good investment. I know it wasn't that expensive and we live in Topeka, just an hour from KC. Our house is nearly 2.500 s.f. finished with an unfin. basement.

BTW, our attic is conventional blown-in insulation, not Icy. I'm getting ready to do Grandpa daycare, but I'll check the dealer here when I get a chance.

Henry (Henrysb3 from MP)

Thanks for the heads up Henry, I'd be interested in finding out who your contractor was and whether or not they service pre-existing structures. The walls in the 10 x 24 room are wide open just like new construction.

For the acoustical value, I think that I'm going to look more at the types of insulation that Phil and John were referring to... or a combination of both the spray and the R-30 fiberglass. The north wall tends to collect a bit of mold on the ground and extending about 2 to 3 inches up the foundation, but I treat it with bleach during more prominant seasons for mold growth. Perhaps that particular wall might be one of consideration for the sprayed foam, while going more towards the absorbing types on the rest of the walls.

Topeka is not that bad of a commute if the job can be completed in a couple of days. Both of the suppliers listed in the K.C. area on the Icynene site cater to the builders of the multi-million dollar mansions that are going up in surrounding areas. They probably jack the price up to avoid going into finished homes.

Archived