A story about Duke Ellington and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

• Members

My Pal Duke Ellington.......

Duke Ellington and the "The Four Freedoms"

This is a story about Duke Ellington and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In 1965, the three-man Pulitzer Prize music jury failed to settle on a single work worthy of the prize. They recommended instead that a special citation be given to a composer for his "long-term achievement in the field."

The Pulitzer advisory board ignored their recommendation in making its awards. Two of the three judges resigned in protest. When reporters asked the composer for his reaction, he replied: "Fate's been kind to me. Fate doesn't want me to be famous too young."

Four years later, on April 29, 1969, the composer turned 70 years of age. He was asked to attend the White House for a birthday party in his honour.

The president introduced him with the following words.

"The President of the United States of America awards the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Edward Kennedy Ellington. In the royalty of American music, no man swings more or stands higher than the Duke."

This is how Duke Ellington responded.

"Thank you Mr. President, Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen. And of course we speak of freedom of expression, we speak of freedom generally as being very sweet and fat and things like that. But at the end when we get down to the payoff, what we actually say is that we would like very much to mention the four major freedoms that my friend and writing and arranging composer Billy Strayhorn lived by and enjoyed.

And that was:

1. Freedom from hate, unconditionally.

2. Freedom from self-pity.

3. Freedom from the fear of possibly doing something that may help someone else more than it would you.

4. And, freedom from the kind of pride that could make a man feel that he is better than his brother.

I don't know how this affects you but it damn near makes me cry!!!

Bruce Swedien

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members

My Pal Duke Ellington.......

Duke Ellington and the "The Four Freedoms"

This is a story about Duke Ellington and the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

In 1965, the three-man Pulitzer Prize music jury failed to settle on a single work worthy of the prize. They recommended instead that a special citation be given to a composer for his "long-term achievement in the field."

The Pulitzer advisory board ignored their recommendation in making its awards. Two of the three judges resigned in protest. When reporters asked the composer for his reaction, he replied: "Fate's been kind to me. Fate doesn't want me to be famous too young."

Four years later, on April 29, 1969, the composer turned 70 years of age. He was asked to attend the White House for a birthday party in his honour.

The president introduced him with the following words.

"The President of the United States of America awards the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Edward Kennedy Ellington. In the royalty of American music, no man swings more or stands higher than the Duke."

"Thank you Mr. President, Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen. And of course we speak of freedom of expression, we speak of freedom generally as being very sweet and fat and things like that. But at the end when we get down to the payoff, what we actually say is that we would like very much to mention the four major freedoms that my friend and writing and arranging composer Billy Strayhorn lived by and enjoyed.

And that was:

3. Freedom from the fear of possibly doing something that may help someone else more than it would you.

4. And, freedom from the kind of pride that could make a man feel that he is better than his brother.

I don't know how this affects you but it damn near makes me cry!!!

Bruce Swedien

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

Great statement.

It makes me think to add:

Freedom from self-doubt

Freedom to follow your dreams

• Members

And that was:

Hi Bruce,

I wholeheartedly agree - That's an eloquent, heartfelt and very loving tribute to his friend Billy Strayhorn. In my opinion, only a man with an evolved heart and an overflowing cupful of the wisdom and humbleness born of both the trials and pleasures of life can ever fully appreciate the tremendous value of true friendship. When all's said and done, is there anything better in this life?

'Not me, but rather, he', The Duke points out at the moment of what was to be his honor. That he did so proclaims very loudly and clearly to me that your pal Duke Ellington was indeed "a class act."

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Rick

• Members

Bruce,

This is quite a remarkable quote and viewpoint!! Thanks, as always, for sharing these incredible tidbits.

One thought comes to mind- great people seem to live by high standard and high beliefs. When you look at someone like Duke Ellington you see a great musician, composer and band leader who didn't burn out. He was one the greats that was both a genius and a stable, reasonable guy who lived a long and full life. Talent that great is one thing, but living right with that talent is even something greater!

thanks!!!

• Members

I think it's beautiful, and very wisely and eloquently spoken.

Also, he must have admired his friend immensely.

Archived