TASCAM FW1804..Your Opinion ?

venkiee

• Members

Dear all,

I have been looking on this hardware...but not able to see any reviews...any one owns it ? :confused:

Please put in your opinion if I can go for it or..not....

BTW, I have no interest in Edirol/M-Audio/ESI....as my budget for a FW interface is below $500....:)

• Members

i have the 1804 hooked to a G4. it works excellent, i would say definately on par soundwise with digimax lt, firepod etc. absolutely hands-down blows a digi 001 out of the sky.

some folks have trouble getting this box to work nice in windows, but its usually a network setting error or inferior firewire card.

i wish i had the 1884 instead though.....

• Members

i have the 1804 hooked to a G4. it works excellent, i would say definately on par soundwise with digimax lt, firepod etc. absolutely hands-down blows a digi 001 out of the sky.

some folks have trouble getting this box to work nice in windows, but its usually a network setting error or inferior firewire card.

i wish i had the 1884 instead though.....

Are this units FW 400 or 800?

Coaster,

Did you get the Cubase LE and Gigastudio as free SF bundled in ?

• Members

I have the 1884, which is basically the same... My unit has been rock solid on my G4 and my AMD. No problems from me. Apparently some folks have blown the Mic Pre's by unplugging a mic cable while the phantom power is on. I use my TL Audio for anything that needs Phantom so it hasn't affected me.

I like the unit, works really good with Logic Pro and for me Sonar 6.

Tascam released an x64 driver that doesn't seem to work with Sonar 6(x64 and XP pro x64. Hopefully they will add x64 for Vista and Leopard soon. :love: Tascam has been known to leave driver support for older interfaces/mixers for a new product... Wonder what they have a Namm?

You should be able to find them at a good price now too.

FW 400 but works in either, Mine came with Cubase Le and Giga Le a well over a year ago

Later

• Members

yes i got cubase le and the gigstudio (le?). i installed cubase le (on the g4) but quickly unistalled it as i prefer DP.

i never tried the gigastudio because my pc is nowhere near the minimum requirements (my pc sees no audio duty, but works great as a video renderer)

as the poster above said, its a firewire 400 port.

worth noting: dont place a FW hard drive in the same chain as the 1804. this wont work worth a darn. i have MOBO FW (for 1804) and an additional card for other things like HD, DV cam etc.

Archived