MIDI connections help . . . .

shniggens

• Members

I have a Roland Drum kit that I record MIDI tracks from during our band rehearsals, and a keyboard that I record MIDI tracks from sometimes, but not during band rehearsals.

I have a MOTU 828 interface that has 1 MIDI input.

Is there a way that I can connect both of my devices to it at once, without using some kind of MIDI merger device? Some way of implementing the MIDI thru connections?

Of course, I could always reach around to the back of the interface and switch plugs when I need to, but I would like to try to avoid that.

Thanks.

• Members

Back in the days I had these little boxes with 2 outs and 1 in and one vice versa,... i think that is what you need. There half the size of a package of cigarettes and the are very cheap.

That is if you're equipment doesn't have midi through ofcourse.

• Members

Dunno, what is it?

One option, given the QS's implementation is to run the Drums midi out to the QS' midi in, then the QS midi out to the Motu. You can switch to the QS' 'thru' option when recording drums (the keyboard won't output) or just switch the cable between the QS Out and Thru ports.

• Members

Ah, well a splitter's not going to help. You need merge or switching capabilities.

I took a look at the TD-3 manual, and it does not appear to have soft thru capability.

So your solutions are TD3 out to QS8 in as stated above and either switching the cable physically between the QS' out & thru, or leave the QS out and switch via the global parameter.

or get a midi merge box

or get a cheap usb midi interface

Archived