The old musicplayer days.

Han

• Members

Time flies, I came to the musicplayer forums in 2001 and lately I was wondering where all my friends have gone. I was thinking of Dan South, Rold, to name a few.

I've been scrolling through some old threads and it gives me warm feelings, but where has everybody gone to? I miss these guys and the list is a long one.

Peace, Han

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand and share your feelings.

While there are allot of good folks here allot of good ones from the "old days" have disappeared.

Since web particpation is the result of thousands of individual decisions I dont think any one can answer the question of "What happened?"

• Members

I can tell you what appened in at least one instance...

Since web particpation is the result of thousands of individual decisions I dont think any one can answer the question of "What happened?"

I used to go to MP. It was a great place for a musician to hang out. Intelligent and mature (for the most part) interaction, along with off-topic things of interest.

Then they tied it strictly to their magazines.

No more drum forum (a musician's forum without drums? Come on now.)

No more political forum.

To top it off, I can no longer get there from work.

Consqeuently, I now spend very little time there.

• Members

I have the guitar player forum open in a window on my dock right now. It is good to see both Kahn and Han here now. I was/am Henrysb3 from MP. I had signed up here, but hadn't come back after a couple of visits to OJ. When Anderton came here, I couldn't retrieve my password, as I didn't have the Hotmail address anymore, to I took a moniker from the Zep song I was learning.

This is the second verse from a song I wrote long ago and not so very far away:

Friends they come and then they have to go.

I guess you know that's the drift of time.

And people pry, they just have to know,

But you can't lay it on the line.

I miss the personalities of many from those days, and going back to the experience is not always possible. I've met just one forumite in person - Tedster.

• Members

Ah, the good old days.

That they were ... that they were.

I was thinking of Dan South

Dan South posts at this site under another user name. He still posts at MusicPlayer as himself from time to time though. I see him over there in the Keyboard Corner sports threads.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I spend most of my online forum time at MP's Guitar Player forum. I come here, too, but mostly I answer replies using the email notifications. If nobody posts to a thread I've posted to then I really tend to slow down my participation at HC. That goes for the live sound forum as well as the SSS. I rarely go anywhere else in HC, though for a while I was a regular in the acoustic forum.

And when the threads I'm subscribed to fall to the second or third page I tend to forget to spend time here.

We miss regular contributions from Tedster and others who seem to have left the guitar forum at MP after the move, but that forum really hasn't changed very much since the split.

• Members

The Low Down Lowdown is still going strong, but in a quieter fashion. I go there for peace, I go here for the opposite (well, not ihere, exactly, not SSS, but y'know, the general vicinity...).

I'm so glad that several of the 'normals' still post on this forum. Even better is the transition of several of the best Mods to HC. With Craig, Phil, Lee, and some others, it makes the place worthwhile.

I still have screenshots of when we first came over here and, for a brief, shining moment, I had more posts than Tedster. Those was da days!

• Members

I loved the old guitar forum when I first found it. There was Chip and Tedster and the other Ted (Nightshade) and Neil and Geneard Sdynyrd and Lee and Khan and Jedi (Lincoln) and Phil and a bunch of other really cool people I can't think of right off the top of my head. It was so civilized and cool back then. Wasn't the moderator Lisa of Wendy and Lisa/Prince fame? Seems so.

There was this really cool guitarist from France that used to post and got run off by a bunch of newbee Bush war (freedom fries) guys about the time we invaded. What a drag. Things really changed.

Yeah, I miss Dan South, what a rational voice in this day and age.

• Members

I've been a steady lurker and sometime contributor since ~'02 and followed this forum to HC. I keep two forum tabs up in FireFox... this one and the MP Guitar Forum. With my schedule these days, I don't get to frequent as often as I'd like but I'm still around. I know I can always get an answer to anything here and having Bruce Swedien around is fantastic. I've learned so much just from reading his posts and listening to his work. I don't think it's too different now from the MP days now that we're largely past the initial influx of OJ types.

Archived