"U2-charist" - Bono Moves In Mysterious Ways

UstadKhanAli

• Members

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070129/music_nm/religion_u2_dc_1

LONDON (Reuters) - For Anglicans who still haven't found what they're looking for, the Church of England is staging its first "U2-charist" communion service -- replacing hymns with hit songs by the Irish supergroup.

"Rock music can be a vehicle of immense spirituality," said Bishop of Grantham Timothy Ellis, announcing plans for the unique service in the central English town of Lincoln in May.

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" with special singalong lyrics displayed on a giant screen. Seating for the 500-strong congregation is to be re-arranged so everyone can dance and wave their hands.

The service is to focus on the Millennium development goals -- U2's lead singer Bono is a leading promoter of the targets to alleviate world poverty.

• Members

In the image of Christ-complex lead singers, I always thought Bono was the next bigie after Jim Morrison to do the 'Jesus' pose/posture'.

Generally, I think anything that brings people together can't be bad. U2 have much to be proud of for pushing through, with a larger vision of their power to do good through their fame.

• Members

You know, related note: I am not a church goer, but my wife is, and her chruch is all into "new music," guitar-driven hymns that make my skin crawl. It's a selfish opinion, but I want the church to stay old--I think it is unwise to glom onto trends of the day in order to seem "relevant." I like church to be an unbroken bridge to long ago, musically, artistically, ritualistically. The older, mnore archaic, the better. Am I willing to go to church regular to fight for this? of course not...

• Members

A lyric off my next CD...

"burn your temples to the ground, hang your crosses upside down..."

I say we get rid of all religion. It has done nothing but warp peoples minds into thinking they alone are the chosen, they alone are correct.

6000 years of dogma and where has it gotten us?

be lucky,

EB

• Members

I say we get rid of all religion. It has done nothing but warp peoples minds into thinking they alone are the chosen, they alone are correct.

6000 years of dogma and where has it gotten us?

be lucky,

EB

Well, it's not just religion that warps peoples minds. EVERYTHING does. That's human nature. Look what television has done to society. Look what politics have done to people. People choose to believe what they want to believe, not what is true. Religion is man made and like everything else man made, it usually turns into something completely warped and not what it was meant to be.

• Members

U2 has been one of my favorite bands since the first time my 12-year-old ears heard The Joshua Tree back in '86. It's undeniable that their music is full of Christian influence and imagery--something I normally don't care for in music--but Bono is a master of weaving these things into his lyrics without the songs becoming overtly "religious." I'm not a religious guy, but I've never felt that I'm listening to "Christian music" when I throw on a U2 album. I think they're unique in that way, and I'm actually surprised that stuff like this didn't happen sooner given the band's popularity. Hell, Edge even says in Rattle & Hum that "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" was written as a gospel song.

• Members

"Rock music can be a vehicle of immense spirituality," said Bishop of Grantham Timothy Ellis, announcing plans for the unique service in the central English town of Lincoln in May.

Hmmm...not according to websites like this one:

http://www.av1611.org/crock/religious.html

I suppose this means pretty much everyone who posts here is going to hell. Oh well, we had a good run. ;)

• Members

er, um, for those of us playing in modern churches in the last ten years, U2 has been played a lot already. In fact, MANY of the contempary christian bands for the last several years are modelled on the U2 and their sound. Did somebody just first notice?? :)

• Members

Religion is part of culture. You get rid of religion, you get rid of culture.

Music is a part of culture, and many kinds of music over the millenia sprang out of religious and cultural expressions. Do we get rid of music too?

People who have been known for wiping out cultures are usually racists.

Most atheists are white.

Hmmm...

Archived