Live And Let Die - Masterpiece?

GY

• Members

I never much cared for the song, until today... I gave it another listen. "Hats off" to Bill Price on this one. Great for what it was... a theme song. Great production. Great dynamics.

What do you think?

• Members

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I love that sudden "cold" ending on the minor key.

It strikes me as heavily influenced by Andrew Lloyd Webber's JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR (particularly the Overture).

Also, remember the strange orchestral "outro" of Carly Simon's "Haven't Got Time For The Pain" , which came out about that same time?

• Members

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I love that sudden "cold" ending on the minor key.

It strikes me as heavily influenced by Andrew Lloyd Webber's
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
(particularly the Overture).

Also, remember the strange orchestral "outro" of Carly Simon's "Haven't Got Time For The Pain" , which came out about that same time?

Yeah... the minor ending... was the perfect segue for starting the film.

• Members

It was unreal live, what with the flash pots and everything!

Funny, it wasn't so very great when I saw it done live....oh, wait. That was Guns 'n Roses :freak: I got a good laugh out 10k people or more when, at the finish of their Live and Let Die cover, I screamed out "Silly Love Songs!"

Then Axl came up out of the amphitheater at SPAC and up on to the grass to beat me up. Talk about the best ears in the business.

• Moderators

Funny, it wasn't so very great when I saw it done live....oh, wait. That was Guns 'n Roses
:freak:
I got a good laugh out 10k people or more when, at the finish of their Live and Let Die cover, I screamed out "Silly Love Songs!"

Then Axl came up out of the amphitheater at SPAC and up on to the grass to beat me up. Talk about the best ears in the business.

Wow! That's so cool getting your ass kicked by Axel! :)

So that song... It's pretty amazing when you think of how it must have transpired for McCartney. "The new Bond flick will be called Live and Let Die and we'd like you to write something."

When you were young and your heart was an open book

You used to say live and let live

But if this ever changing world in which we live in

Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die!

That verse right there turns a silly, awkward turn of phrase into an insightful little melodrama of how someone goes from good to bad. Live long enough, get screwed over enough, mocked enough, then WATCH OUT... I'm not taking any more. Die Bastards!

McCartney was brilliant.

• Moderators

Not to get too nit picky but I believe the actual line is "... if this ever changing world in which we're living". McCartney's grammar apparently isn't as bad as everyone seems to think it is.
:D

Ah well, my memory is pretty crap. But still, the same basic idea...

There's a bathroom on the right, so 'scuse me while I kiss this guy. And isn't your last name spelled Flyer? :)

• Members

McCartney should have hung it up when the Beatles broke up, IMO.
;):p

LIve and let die is a great song/performance and production; and yes it kicked live in concert.

McCartney has done a lot of very musically cool things since the Beatles broke up and he is the one Beatle who evolved and grew muscially (after the breakup) in some pretty amazing ways.

• Members

I really like "Live and let die"... It's great from a songwriting point of view and a it's great from an arranging point of view... The thing is, at the time when I came out, I thought it was good, but there was so much other good stuff, from a songwriting point of view out there... Compared to what's out today, it's really a masterpiece... The irony of the music scene today is that we have the best tools to create music ever, and we have the worst music ever... So yeah, in light of retrospect, this is a masterpiece... :)

Archived