If you had a 20 x 20 foot lot, what would YOU do?

UstadKhanAli

• Moderators

Then install a small elevator, making sure to place a high quality speaker at the bottom of the shaft, clear of the elevator's travel, and install 2 mics on the bottom of the elevator itself. Park the elevator all the way up to the roof level when in use as a reverb chamber. :)

• Members

ha! my row house is only 12 feet wide (11 ft 6" on the inside) and about the same height (50 feet or so). 4 floors plus a basement. that's city brownstone living for ya... 20 feet wide would be pleasantly roomy n spacious :)

-d. gauss

• Members

The nation's skinniest house, according to Guinness World of Records, makes its home on Gladys Avenue in Long Beach. Built on a lot measuring 10 feet by 50 feet by Nelson Rummond, who bet that he could build a habitable residence on the lot. The Skinny House is located a 708 Gladys Avenue.

skinny_house2.jpg

I went in it 15 or 20 years ago when it was on the market. NOT for everyone... IIRC, the widest part of the house is something like 8' 4" (and THAT no doubt required "easing" the easements... something apparently fairly easy to accomplish around these parts, judging from the number of otherwise-illegal third and "third-and-a-half" stories on buildings in my current neighborhood -- and the way "remodels" [which under code require at least one original wall still standing] typically start from scratch -- often the "last" original wall comes down on a Sunday. This will NOT "fool" any building inspector who is not blind or can't smell new wood, but, well, some folks have suspected that bribes have been known to change hands... perish the thought. No one ever asked ME for a bribe at my old house but I've certainly heard some stories.)

Archived