Why do people compare PC to MAC? Does 90% means anything?

audioicon

• Members

I get so tired of people trying to compare PC to MAC, 90 percent of the world's computer users uses PC'S, so why the fuss? I use an intel pentium 4, 3.0ghz HT technology and it bites the data.

At the time, I bought my computer for 50% less money for then the cost of a Mac and it would have cost me tons more to buy a mac with equivalent power. Rant if you will but Mac's are too damn expensive.

Thanks to cakewalk I don't have to put up with that garbage.

While I acknowledged that Macs are great computers, the fact is their prices are not set for the poor like me. I hate any company that doesn't think about the poor when they make a product.

And PC has proven my point. All the public libraries I know uses PC not MAC?

I have never used MAC myself and this is also why I stayed away from pro-tools. Companies that preaches "propriety" don't get my money. Not that it matters but it does to me.

Everybody want's to compare Vista to MAC OSX, who cares, 90 percent don't use MAC?

My question is, do you prefer a great expensive almost unaffordable MAC?

Or a great releable "reasonable" PC?

I'll appreciate all your comments even if you think I'm nuts!

Audioicon

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've considered going MAC but I have so much ancillary software that's either free or only costs around $30 that I baulk at it. Things like metric convertors, DVD rippers, Autostitch picture programs, backup programs etc.

My laptop has been going for 2 years now and had I signed up for the full three year warranty I wouldn't have the problem I have now - blown LCD screen.

BTW it's 82 degrees here now and I still don't have overheating probs.

My $ 0.02

For an "office / internet" computer, that $500 PC is more than OK. And yes, a Mac Mini (around $600 + monitor, keyboard et all) is so damned expensive yet for office-only work.

But then, when you prepare a PC for heavy audio work, you have to add a great Mother Board, try to get the best processor out there -and there are tons of different models-. And that is maybe about a grand by itself + the time you spend in the research.

You simply do not have to change a MAC's MotherBoard or Processor. Total cost of the upgrade: zero.

On both, you also need good hard disks and tons of Good quality RAM. Same cost for both.

... so a GREAT audio computer in the PC world end up costing about the same than a similar model Mac, which already comes suited for audio work.

Which one to choose? Well, it's up to you ! ;) ... both machines crash, anyway.

• Members

Then, why did you start YET ANOTHER thread on the subject???
:freak::D

When people compare PC's to Macs they usually talk about "which is better,"

I did not say PC is better then mac or mac is better then PC. My question is about affordability and access for all to own these machines.

But I'll still say 90% of people using PC should send a message.

Yes if I had several extra grands, maybe I would throw some to the Mac but then I don't play the lottery.

Audioicon

• Members

I'm in the market for another computer right now because my kids have virtually taken over the two that I currently use. I've been looking at Duo Core PC systems with processors having a minimum of 3G, 2G ram, and 250G HD. Some have light scribe DVD burners, others not. Some are equipped with high tech sound cards, others not. The price is NOT cheap for the bare bones of what I would consider acceptable for what I need.

In pricing things out, I actually took a peek at some Mac's and thought, wow, the price is comparable; might be worth giving Apple another shot. Then I thought, EVERY program I own is PC compatible; nothing for a MAC. I have a LOT of high tech, high dollar programs, that are geared for PC use that would have to be entirely replaced to make the switch to Apple because of proprietary issues. Having thousands of dollars tied up in software programs ranging from Sonar PE, to videography programs, to high tech photo editing programs, to MS developing programs, and such.................... WHY would I want to make the switch to Apple so that I would have to buy all of that stuff over again????????????????????

:confused:

I'll stay with PC.

• Members

Ani
, why not just reboot your Mac as a Windows machine when you want to use your PC programs? That way, all you have to do is buy and install a copy of Windows OS and your

Best,

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I checked out the specs page and, wow, 10 G of free drive space to install the Boot Camp ware???? That's a pretty hefty program.

What you

• Members

Yes if I had several extra grands, maybe I would throw some to the Mac but then I don't play the lottery.

I use both - and if you look at hard numbers (proc speed, cache, drives, etc.) the price of a Mac sitting next to a PC where everything is totally comparable, the price is EXTREMELY close.

There was a website just a few months back (my Google-Fu being not up to snuff at the moment) which outfitted a Dell with almost the exact same specs as a Mac - the end price was less than $200 difference. And the Mac is comprised of components that are made to work together nicely. You may not get that with a slapped together PC from HP or Dell.

Like I said, I use both. When I plug my headphones into my Mac, I hear clean, pristine audio. When I do the same on PC, I hear digital noise with every mouse move, click or drag. Digital Performer is a breeze to use and setup. Cubase, not so much. I barely do any maintenance on OS X. XP - a fair amount (though far less than 95 or 98 had me doing. I admit, I still have a little sour taste in my mouth because of those OS issues...)

Anyhow, I use both because in my job (web and multimedia developer) I need both and in my private life (musician and gamer) I need both. Right tools for the job...

Now to get totally snarky - I have a Behringer mixing board. But if I'm ever in the market to afford an SSL, you can bet your sweet bippy I'll be buying it.

• Members

What message is that?

But I'll still say 90% of people using PC should send a message.

A majority does not mean something's inherently better. Far more people watch American Idol than take in a performance of their local philharmonic orchestra.... which do YOU think is better?

That said, Mac users tend to be fans of their computers. Which I find odd, given that in 99% of cases PCs and Macs can do exacly the same jobs. Being a fan of a brand of computer is like rooting for one electric clothes dryer over the others.

• Members

What message is that?That said, Mac users tend to be
fans
of their computers. Which I find odd, given that in 99% of cases PCs and Macs can do exacly the same jobs. Being a
fan
of a brand of computer is like rooting for one electric clothes dryer over the others.

An absolutely true story - I just happened to send back a recently purchased electric clothes dryer and purchased a different one. (Sent back a GE, bought a Whirlpool)

I am a HUGE fan of the Whirlpool dryer, because it does the job correctly and didn't have all sorts of issues I had to try and correct after taking it out of the box (actually, the delivery man took it out of the box, but you get what I mean.) The GE had packing materials in weird places and turned out to not have any heat - maybe just a lemon, but I must say personal experience shoots your analogy down like a clay pigeon.

• Members

:D:D Great comeback!

An absolutely true story - I just happened to send back a recently purchased electric clothes dryer and purchased a different one. (Sent back a GE, bought a Whirlpool)

I am a HUGE fan of the Whirlpool dryer, because it does the job correctly and didn't have all sorts of issues I had to try and correct after taking it out of the box (actually, the delivery man took it out of the box, but you get what I mean.) The GE had packing materials in weird places and turned out to not have any heat - maybe just a lemon, but I must say personal experience shoots your analogy down like a clay pigeon.

But that's not exactly what I meant. Question: Will you be reading the clothes washing machinery magazines, eagerly anticipating the release of next year's line of Whirlpool dryers? Going to the trade shows, dreaming of upgrading your beloved dryer to the next heating-element revision?

Archived