So...Did Anyone Run Out and Buy Vista?

Anderton

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No. And even though (or maybe because) I'm a computer professional, I doubt I will own it for probably a year. I learned my lesson about Microsoft and early adoption a long time ago, and fortunately so have my clients. I don't have time to be an unpaid beta tester and my clients need something that isn't going to compromise the stability of their systems. So everybody stays a year or so behind the curve and doesn't upgrade till about SR2. Works out pretty well.

• Members

I got one in pink and one in blue, so, depending on my mood I...

Oh, wait, are we talking about Vista?

Never mind...

(But I have already crushed the hopes and desires of one of my web clients who asked for advice because he wanted to put Vista on his grandson's 3 or 4 year old laptop... with a 1.7 gHz Celeron (not Centrino) and with some stunted little built in video.)

I have little doubt (well -- I DO have some) that Vista -- or some form of it -- will eventually be a good platform for future machines -- and it will no doubt drive the sales of some high end machines.

But I think a lot of people who are simply drawn to the gewgaw factor will look at the kind of hardware costs associated with a machine capable of running the full Vista and will say something like, Gee, for THAT much money -- I could buy the real thing from Apple.

WORSE, though, from a PR point of view for MS is that a LOT of people are going to buy machines they THINK are "Vista capable" (because it meets the ABSOLUTE minimum running requirements for the basic/no frills no-gewgaws version) and then be WILDLY disappointed to get a stripped down version of Vista that is something much more like a WILDLY BLOATED XP....

• Members

nope. I upgraded to XP happily in the week of release.

Because I had a machine with ME on it - hoobooy, what a stinker that was.

I am still pretty happy and productive on the XP machines so I don't have that incentive.

I also find that I resent the intrusion of media stuff into the new OS. I'm the media guy. I don't want any competition from "the Man".

• Members

Nope. XP and me are getting along just fine. No desire at all or need at present to rock the boat.

Rick

Myfeelings too. When I do get Vista, which I will have to at one point, I'll get a new computer and migrate programs over one at a time.

On the other hand, if the street says it really rocks and compatibility issues are few, I'm there.

• CMS Author

Well, did you?

No, but a couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new copy of XP Home Upgrade at Staples for $34. I figure that one of these years I'm going to put together an new computer for the studio and it will be before I'm ready to tackle Vista. I have a real Win98 disk I can "upgrade" with it.

• Members

Why do you ask, Craig? Does it run on a Mac? It would be nice to get rid of red-eye in my photo library, though. Wait, my Mac did that 4 years ago, when iPhoto first came out.

The lowly Photoshop wannabe Paint Shop Pro has had red-eye removal since GOKW...

Please tell me this comment does NOT reference Vista removing red-eye at the OS level!

:D :D :D

• Members

The lowly Photoshop wannabe Paint Shop Pro has had red-eye removal since GOKW...

Please tell me this comment does NOT reference Vista removing red-eye at the
OS level!

:D

That was one of the main features that the info babes were raving about in reguard to Vista, and it's new capabilities, when it was reviewed on the morning news shows. That and the fact that it was so much like Mac OSX interms of look, feel, and features. They also recommended that one wait to upgrade, since Vista will really only run on the newest machines, with the fastest processors and lots of ram. That and most applications aren't really ready for prime time.

It wasn't intended as an insult, just good natured fun. I waited quite awhile before I moved from OS9 to OSX for the same reason most here are waiting to move to Vista.

Steve

I'll have to port over to it eventually, but I'm not in a hurry to ride the bleeding edge this time. First of all, there's the issue of drivers for everything. Second is the hardware upgrades (although I believe my system exceeds the system requirement specs). Then there's the issue of software updates, etc. etc.

I plan on waiting at least six months and let someone else do the beta testing this time - my system is stable and performs great - and I have a ton of work to do. Why rock the boat until there's a compelling reason to do so? :)

• Members

That was one of the main features that the info babes were raving about in reguard to Vista, and it's new capabilities, when it was reviewed on the morning news shows. That and the fact that it was so much like Mac OSX interms of look, feel, and features. They also recommended that one wait to upgrade, since Vista will really only run on the newest machines, with the fastest processors and lots of ram. That and most applications aren't really ready for prime time.

It wasn't intended as an insult, just good natured fun. I waited quite awhile before I moved from OS9 to OSX for the same reason most here are waiting to move to Vista.

Steve

Heh... no kidding? That's pretty funny.

Yep, I'm gonna go out and grab 2 GB of RAM and a $400 video card so I can "get" a feature I've been ignoring for years...

The people who get paid to write about the consumer side of this stuff are just such insufferably simple-minded dolts... it cracks me up reading most of those newspaper computer columns. You know the ones, the columnists have names like Betty Byte and the like. I mean, most of them can't even rewrite a press release to make it sound like they didn't just copy and paste it into their columns. Yeesh.

• Members

No. And even though (or maybe because) I'm a computer professional, I doubt I will own it for probably a year. I learned my lesson about Microsoft and early adoption a long time ago, and fortunately so have my clients. I don't have time to be an unpaid beta tester and my clients need something that isn't going to compromise the stability of their systems. So everybody stays a year or so behind the curve and doesn't upgrade till about SR2. Works out pretty well.

I have a few machines I use for beta and I installed Vista on one of them to test drive. P4 2.8ghz w/1G of ram.

Vista sucks for the near term. Driver problems, software migratability problems, security holes, bloatware, etc...

I won't be rolling any out anytime soon. XPP SP2 is pretty mature and I don't believe in change simply for the sake of change.

• Members

I'm jumping ship to mac to avoid all this vista business.

I suspect this will be the case for a lot of people; I also think it's going to give some businesses the excuse to go Linux as well.

For me, it's made me think about XP Pro 64 - and get the advantage of being able to use more memory (the only reason I could see for getting Vista); but I'm not sure if MOTU's 64bit drivers will work with it or not.

/ any MOTU people here know about XP Pro 64?

// switched to XP for stability; which is also why I'm sticking with it

/// but I'm now migrating to Ubuntu Linux on my internet box

• Members

Still using Win98SE with an AMD board and CPU with 512MB of RAM. I've had it for a few years now and its the best PC I've had so far. When it finally kicks I'll go for an AMD dual core setup and probably Vista, and hopefully that won't be for a couple years yet so I'll have an idea of what's worth investing in at that time.

Steve

• Members

Why do you ask, Craig? Does it run on a Mac? It would be nice to get rid of red-eye in my photo library, though. Wait, my Mac did that 4 years ago, when iPhoto first came out.

Actually, Vista probably will run on a Mac once boot camp is in full flower.

Red-eye? Trust me, Apple didn't invent getting rid of red eye. That goes to the various paint programs. And Apple didn't invent loops, either...when GarageBand came out, I asked an Apple representative what made it different from Acid. He didn't know what Acid was :)

Apple came up with a lot of things first, but getting rid of red eye isn't one of them. Windows came up with a lot of things first, too. Like...uhh...well...you know, stuff and things.

• Members

I suspect this will be the case for a lot of people; I also think it's going to give some businesses the excuse to go Linux as well.

For me, it's made me think about XP Pro 64 - and get the advantage of being able to use more memory (the only reason I could see for getting Vista); but I'm not sure if MOTU's 64bit drivers will work with it or not.

First of all, bingo on Linux.

Second, I'm pretty sure the MOTU line is now Vista-friendly.

Archived