Clear Channel is doing it again!

audioicon

• Members

So Clear Channel has put up electronic/LED billboards that looks like an LCD screen, they changed images every 8 seconds.

Now most of the Cities are pulling the plugs off and refusing them power.

Clear Channel took a city to court and the judge ruled in favor of the city.

Now Clear channel has dropped a sweetner in the coffee! They will programming to the display that will show actual cars involved in Amber alert and display actual or similar cars in full color/tv like images.

What a great idea. Uh?

Audioicon

• Members

The cities definitely have a safety issue to consider, and while the billboards might be on structures built on private property, the billboard space is typically considered public property, much like the airwaves.

So the cities do have significant say in what gets displayed, but overall the idea of a video billboard doesn't strike me as fundamentally different than a static picture. There have been billboards around here for a long time that change ads by flipping panels.

I'll give CC a pass here until proven otherwise (or CBS, or whomever is selling ad space on billboards). At least this, renting ad space, is CC's core business, as opposed to owning broadcasters or promoting concerts.

• Members

I'll give CC a pass here until proven otherwise (or CBS, or whomever is selling ad space on billboards). At least this, renting ad space, is CC's core business, as opposed to owning broadcasters or promoting concerts.

They can do all they want with billboards as long as they leave radio stations alone...

• Members

The point here is they never talked about promoting amber alerts until the judge threw out their case and decided the boards should remain unplugged. That's when they acted as though they give a f*** about children's welfare, as though they have nothing to do with stations that actually polutes children's mind with garbage programing. Like that psycho Dr. Laura! :D

Audioicon

• Members

I {censored}ing hate Clear Channel. I know thats strong but they ruined the radio. Bastards.

I know some people here work for them and I guess if you work for them, you`re OK with them but for the majority of us which is like 99.9% of us, Clear Channel is satan.

Now you're gonna get the Satanists mad. It's kind of an insult to Satan, if you ask me. At least he brought light. No, that was Lucifer... I never got this monotheistic polytheism. Why not call it like it is? Anyway, Clear Channel is an abomination. Ditto Infinity. Uh, the radio chain.

• CMS Author

They can do all they want with billboards as long as they leave radio stations alone...

Too late for that. But Clear Channel isn't the only guilty party. There was a recent major radio programming shift in the Washington DC area that involved the one commercial classical station (no longer), the NPR former classical station that went all news/talk a couple of years ago and is now more all-classical than ever before, dumping the couple of folk music shows, and the other NPR station in town picking up some of the pieces.

Musical radio stations (really, at least some)

Archived