Number of mp3's you can put on CD

LiveMusic

• Members

I just want to make sure about this. On another forum, someone says you can put a LOT of mp3's on a CD, that is dependent on file size. He's talking about being able to put something like four hours of mp3's (@320) on a CD.

So, the CD is 700mb. Or say you have (128) mp3's at 4mb each, that's 25 x 7 = 175 songs? I could have sworn I was advised that it is NOT file size that is the limiting factor, it is time -- total tracks length... that you could only put about 25 songs on a cd, no matter what format. :confused:

P.S. I am talking about for playback, not storing as data.

• Members

I just want to make sure about this. On another forum, someone says you can put a LOT of mp3's on a CD, that is dependent on file size. He's talking about being able to put something like four hours of mp3's (@320) on a CD.

So, the CD is 700mb. Or say you have (128) mp3's at 4mb each, that's 25 x 7 = 175 songs? I could have sworn I was advised that it is NOT file size that is the limiting factor, it is time -- total tracks length... that you could only put about 25 songs on a cd, no matter what format.
:confused:

P.S. I am talking about for playback, not storing as data.

For storing as data, the first part above is correct.

For an audio CD, you are limited by however many minutes you can stuff on the CD, typically 80 minutes.

The confusion likely occurs because some CD players can also play MP3s from a data CD.

• Members

MY old DVD player (which is still in use for when my DVD-R is busy) has a heck of a time with any kind of Mp3 data CD that does not fit its rather narrow idea of what such a thing should look like. AND it only plays 128s (I mean, I don't even bother, though I do have some 128's but there are so many other ways of playing them that are so much easier and more conventient.)

• Members

I have an indie compilation cd with 152 tracks on it. I've put it into the computer at work the first thing in the morning and shut it off at closing time. Figuring a bit of time after actual opening and actual closing and I figure well over six hours on that cd without having to start it over.

If the songs average 3.5 minutes it's over 8 hours on the cd.

• Members

if it's a CD player that can read MP3s as data, such as many newer CD players in cars (like my dad's 300 Hemi), then it reads the mp3 data on a CD just as an iPod reads mp3 data on its flash or hard disk-based media.

My dad stuffs tons of songs on a CD, and leaves it in there all month. Even shows the song titles on the nav screen.

• Members

if it's a CD player that can read MP3s as data, such as many newer CD players in cars (like my dad's 300 Hemi), then it reads the mp3 data on a CD just as an iPod reads mp3 data on its flash or hard disk-based media.

Hell, yeah, that sounds great. Is it possible to have your dad mail me one of those?

• Members

The reason Audio CD's are limited to 80 minutes is because that's how the math works out for 16 bit 44.1k stereo audio. It's just anther way of saying 800MB.

You can fit as many MP3's as 800MB will hold. Lower the sample rate, the more songs you can fit. Plus it's related to the song length. If you have 3-4 minute songs, obviously you'll fit more on a CD than if the songs average 10 minutes each.

However the quality of MP3 is not even close to that of CD audio, this being the trade off.

• Members

The reason Audio CD's are limited to 80 minutes is because that's how the math works out for 16 bit 44.1k stereo audio. It's just anther way of saying 800MB.

You can fit as many MP3's as 800MB will hold. Lower the sample rate, the more songs you can fit. Plus it's related to the song length. If you have 3-4 minute songs, obviously you'll fit more on a CD than if the songs average 10 minutes each.

However the quality of MP3 is not even close to that of CD audio, this being the trade off.

Unless you're wearing $50+ headphones, you won't notice much of a difference. The headphones supplied with the vast majority of players are crap, and the aftermarket ones you buy in the store aren't much better.

• Moderators

Well, I don't wanna test and waste a CD/DVD, but what happens if the track number reached the maximum on a CD or DVD drive or standalone player who can decode mp3 files?

I would expect that it plays as many mp3's as are burned on the disk, at least on the computer drives

A blank CD is 20 cents. :freak:

Terry D.

• Members

I can assure you that that is a false statement.
:D

If you can't understand the technical or hear the very obvious audible difference in audio quality between MP3 and .wav files, you should cosider a new career.

Here's a very simple test. Convert a wav file to mP3.

Import both to your DAW of choice.

invert the phase of one.

What you hear on playback is the what the MP3 file is lacking.

• Members

If you can't understand the technical or hear the very obvious audible difference in audio quality between MP3 and .wav files, you should cosider a new career.

invert the phase of one.

This was irony Where02107456 ;) Remember the threads we had a while ago here ? ;)

• Members

Hell, yeah, that sounds great. Is it possible to have your dad mail me one of those?

Mail you a CD? It's just a data CD with MP3's on it.....anyone can make it. I think he just uses iTunes, since he has an iPod too. Under preferences, there's an option to burn a CD as an mp3 data CD instead of a regular audio CD.

• Members

I would even say that encoding to mp3 raises the overall sonic quality of most contemporary music available today on compact disc, especially when you use the deloudnesswar plugin

:D

Brilliant! And painfully true - - the sound of a lot of commercial heavy metal oin released CDs, is VASTLY improved by encoding it with MP3 or other lossy codecs. This is because the blatant abuse of EQ boost, limiting and compression during mixing and mastering gets buried, to some degree, by the perceptual codec.

• Members

invert the phase of one.

I'm not trying to aggravate you with this, but here's something to consider:

Have you tried listening to the artifacts that MP3 coding removes? Are they pleasant sounds, or nasty ugly scratching noises? (It does vary a bit, depending on the music style and on the amount of abuse the work received during mixing/mastering)...

But, have you ever considered adding nasty ugly scratchy noises to your recordings to improve the fidelity?

• Members

I'm not trying to aggravate you with this, but here's something to consider:

Have you tried listening to the artifacts that MP3 coding removes? Are they pleasant sounds, or nasty ugly scratching noises? (It does vary a bit, depending on the music style and on the amount of abuse the work received during mixing/mastering)...

But, have you ever considered adding nasty ugly scratchy noises to your recordings to improve the fidelity?

Follow the instructions in previous postings and see for yourself.

Archived