Autotuned billy joel on national anthem

d. gauss

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He blew his {censored} out years ago

I most heartally dissagree. I've seen him a few times in the past couple years, and he was spot on all the time.

Knowing Billy, my guess would be he was partying along with the fans prior, and probably didn't care if he was a bit off. I'd go even further to say he did it purposely so you knew he was singing live.

Knowing Billy, my guess would be he was partying along with the fans prior, and probably didn't care if he was a bit off. I'd go even further to say he did it purposely so you knew he was singing live.

Give the clip a listen Where... :) I think Billy has a good voice, and I love some of his older records, but to my ears, it sounds like AutoTune glitching / skipping between pitches, and in at least a spot or two, it's perfectly dropping the pitch to 1/2 step flat - it seems very obvious to me they had a pitch correction tool on him, and that he was more than 50 cents "off" more than once.

• Members

Give the clip a listen Where...
:)
I think Billy has a good voice, and I love some of his older records, but to my ears, it sounds like AutoTune glitching / skipping between pitches, and in at least a spot or two, it's perfectly dropping the pitch to 1/2 step flat - it seems very obvious to me they had a pitch correction tool on him, and that he was more than 50 cents "off" more than once.

yes, definitely. at such a big event, i would have at least expected the person setting up the autotune to set it to the key he was singing in so it wouldn't autotune him to a half step off a note he SHOULD be hitting.

ah well, we can be critical all we want, but that man is STILL out doing what he does. whether it's good or not, meh...

Maybe it was in chromatic mode? That's what I was thinking... In chromatic mode, if you're more than 50 cents away from the note you "want", it will shift it to the closest note, resulting in a "wrong" note. If you've got to set up a custom scale, IMO, you're got some serious issues with the singer's pitch. :(

• Members

Maybe it was in chromatic mode? That's what I was thinking... In chromatic mode, if you're more than 50 cents away from the note you "want", it will shift it to the closest note, resulting in a "wrong" note. If you've got to set up a custom scale, IMO, you're got some serious issues with the singer's pitch.
:(

haha yea...and well, he did

• Members

well, just my view, and im not a yank, but that was one of the best versions of your anthem i have heard..open and honest , thats what came across to me....mind you huge fan of bj, so anything he does is good to me ;)

dennis

• Members

Give the clip a listen Where...
:)
I think Billy has a good voice, and I love some of his older records, but to my ears, it sounds like AutoTune glitching / skipping between pitches, and in at least a spot or two, it's perfectly dropping the pitch to 1/2 step flat - it seems very obvious to me they had a pitch correction tool on him, and that he was more than 50 cents "off" more than once.

Phil, if you come back here... please splain to me... are you listening to this clip --

? You are saying that there are notes that are shifted to 1/2 step flat from the known melody? What word in the lyric? Sounds like the melody to me.

Mind you, I have never used auto-tune; I just read you guys bash it in threads. His rendition sounds okay to me. Nothing at all like that Cher thing to my ears.

• Members

man i can't even believe this. this is what it has come to. the billy joel autotuned thing is all over every audio forum and YET the amount of people who say they don't hear it/don't mind it is staggering! i don't even know what to say...

i'd have rather heard rosanne's version of the anthem.

• Members

Maybe it was in chromatic mode? That's what I was thinking... In chromatic mode, if you're more than 50 cents away from the note you "want", it will shift it to the closest note, resulting in a "wrong" note. If you've got to set up a custom scale, IMO, you're got some serious issues with the singer's pitch.
:(

As soon as he started singing I heard the Auto-Tune do its rapid wierd pitch/glitch thing and I hollared for my 16-yr-old son to come and hear it. He's being trained to run the studio, but was in the other room playing X-Box with buddies until the game started- I just said

"Listen- what do think that is?" and he knew right away- Auto-tune- and set too "choosy" and with too fast a response time. So sad... I thought it pretty strange to hear someone's natural vibrato warble in exact half-steps:freak:

• Members

Actually, his first note was off and he recovered. And being the savvy performer he is, he repeated the error on the second verse! You know, to make it sound like it was planned.

I most heartally dissagree. I've seen him a few times in the past couple years, and he was spot on all the time.

And yeah, I was happy that there were no diva-histrionics this year.

• Members

Does it really matter if he was off notes/key? This is why today's music is so robotic, it's become forensic science, a guy sings a song, we take the perfromance and open it up like a pathalogist looking for cause of death.

I did not hear the performance and you guys maybe right but I see nothing wrong with a little error. Bottom line, I'm not the guy with the best knowledge in this forum but I'll tell you, the focus on perfection is has greatly over shadow great performance.

Like America idol, a girl comes in and sing infront of the judges for the first time after waiting for days, maybe months, she's nervous but then the judges complain about "little pitch here and there" are you kidding me? Music is made by humans should there be no errors?

Audioicon

• Members

AAfter listening, (as I missed it in the broadcast, too busy stuffing my face!!!) I agree there is some definite autotune glitching going on there, especially in the beginning.

Anyone ever see the left side of his face? It appears he was NOT wearing IEM's, which he has been for years. I suspect with the amount of RF going on, he may have been requested not to, or simply told ouright he couldn't, and was working of a wedge mix. In that environment, it would be damned near impossible to hear yourself, and easy to get off the mark. I doubt Billy knew at the time of the pich correction, and I'd be certain it was not sent to his monitor mix. Done in the broadcast mix truck.

I do agree it was sad that this happened to him. I bet when he heard it he was one very pissed off Billy, which is not someone you want to be on the bad side of.

• Members

I heard the autotune right off, "WhoW!" I thought - "Autotune??". Surely BJ doesn't need it unless the monitoring is so bad or delayed or something?? Then I heard it again and I wondered, "Could this be intentional? Making it sound cool for the kiddies?? Surely not on the National Anthem...."

By that time I was really listening close...and it seemed that some notes that didn't audibly change pitch, still had that funky phasey/compressed sound -clearly some heavy DSP of some sort going on.

Can't they just leave it bloody alone and let the dude simply sing with what he's got? Give him a dinky monitor nearby so he can hear himself and let 'em sink or swim. Like American Idol, hey? Shouldn't the ability to sing reasonably on key be, you know, REQUIRED? if you want the gig to sing the Natl Anthem at the Super Bowl?

nat whilk ii

Archived