Travel Guitars

• Members

I should probably have posted this in the Electric Guitar Forum, but all of my homies are here so I thought I'd post here instead. I'm going to be taking off for Denmark for two weeks this weekend so I'm looking at getting a little travel electric guitar and am looking for any suggestions. So far the Fender Squire Mini looks like the best option. I have a Baby Taylor acoustic, but the action is hideous and is damn near impossible to play past 3rd position. I'd like to have an electric so I can jam out with my Guitar Port and possibly do some recording on my laptop. Any ideas?

• Members

I recommend the headless "paddle-body" Steinberger Spirit (until recently it was available from musicyo.com for about $320. Now they are not available, so you might have to buy a used one) The neck is full size, so you don't need to adjust your playing. I have had no hassles when I carry it on airplanes and it seems to be very sturdy.

Also, you should consider taking your Taylor to a guitar tech to deal with your issues with the action. There is much that they can do with the neck, nut and bridge to achieve better action.

• Members

I got a Steinberger Spirit second hand last week. It makes a great practise guitar as it's so small I can sit with it and surf the net at the same time. The knife edge things are worn out in the trem but a local engineering firm can make me some new ones - these bits are impossible to get without buying a whole trem unit. A Seymour Duncan in the bridge, a shim or two in the neck to lower the action and new knife edges and it'll make a sweet little axe. The thing is built like a brick {censored}house with a very nice neck.

• Members

I tried out a new Traveler Guitar model at NAMM. I think it was the Escape Mk-II steel. It had a build in headphone amp, that played clean or distorted. I liked it better than my Traveler Speedster. The neat think about Travelers is that they have a full size fretboard.

• Members

A few other companies make (or have made in the past) headless guitars similar to the Steinberger. I believe Hohner makes a decent copy.

I have one made by Lotus (whoever they are) that I converted into a machine gun guitar. And the scope really works!

gun1.jpg

• Members

THAT is cool...

Do you cover 'Bikini Girls with Machine Guns?

I am not sure, but I think Hohner is the only licensed copy any more....no matter, a Steinberger like guitar would be my choice as well. I have owned 5 basses over the years and aside from the wanky XP I had, the rest were solid. I should have kept my XL, cause they are turning collectable.

• Members

+2 on the Steinberger Spirit...although mine will be going on eBay soon (don't travel enough to justify keeping it anymore)

I have one made by Lotus (whoever they are) that I converted into a machine gun guitar. And the scope really works!

Extremely cool :thu:!! But I have to ask...is the trigger functional? I would want it to at least flash some strategically located LEDs...in rapid fire sequence of course :idea:

Bear

• Members

Hello All,

Been a looooong time lurker, and this thread finally motivated me to register. I've owned a Spirit GT Pro for a few years now and absolutely love it for what it is -- a great travel/practice guitar. It really is indestructible, stays in tune for long periods, good locking trem, 24 frets (personal preference), etc. I use it with a Korg PX4 amp/fx modeler (about the size of an Ipod) and it really makes a unbeatable travel kit.

But that's all been said; but here is some caveats if you go with a Spirit w/R trem:

- Strings need to be NON Calibrated double ball and are harder to source, but readily available over the Net -- Just Strings has them -- if you buy the calibrated strings (meant for TT or S trem) your high E will be too short.

- or -

- Get a string adapter and use your usual strings (tuning stability suffers a small bit). A while back these were getting difficult to find, but I haven't looked lately

- I used some LaBella stainless steel strings once, and they started chewing up the zero fret, so I am back to nickel strings w/an adapter.

Just some things to be aware of before/if you jump in.

blackpig:

You may want to check out the Steinberger group on Yahoo prior to having the trem knives machined. I bought a pair for around $5 or $10 from the board moderator and I'll bet someone has some and be willing to sell.

Also, what model do you have? I ask because the GT is a neck-through design which obviously can't be shimmed.

HTH -- Looking forward to contributing in the future!

• Members

+2 on the Steinberger Spirit...although mine will be going on eBay soon (don't travel enough to justify keeping it anymore)

Extremely cool
:thu:
!! But I have to ask...is the trigger functional? I would want it to at least flash some strategically located LEDs...in rapid fire sequence of course
:idea:
Bear

Nah, the trigger is just for show. But, you've started me thinking...

• Members

I bought a Chiquita several years ago, when I was travelling quite a bit. It's very well made and has a truly hot humbucker, but the action is so short that it's difficult to play in tune. Chiquitat recommends heavy strings to counteract the bendy nature of short strings, which helps, but I still couldn't get used to it. So now it lives in its cute little tweed HSC. I don't travel by air much anymore, so I probably should send it eBay way.

Archived