Government paid recording facilities,...

boosh

• Members

Today I met this guy playing a harmonica. One of them Cajun things,...

I gave hime some spare money and asked if he had Cds or Tapes for sale because I really enjoyed his playing.

He said:"Man how the .... am I getting myself recorded, I don't have a roof over my head so let alone pay for a recording session.

That made me wonder,....

I'd love to find a way to record people like that in a real studio,...

paid by the government.

A poor man's studio...

I offered this guy to record him but he declined for now because he has to leave the country and go back to his own land.

I know there are lots of people who play on the streets or simply don't have the $ to get a recording session ever.

wouldn't it be great to manage a studio with musicians that record there that don't do it for the money? Just because they play their music with their hearts, because their instrument is the only thing they posess?

These people have dreams and those dreams are not only to have a roof above their heads or have food for their kids,...they also have artistic dreams.

I could try to ask my government to set up such a project but I'm afraid they won't help.

This guy's story and songs nearly made me cry today.........

And here I am complaining I only have a Shure SM58 to record vocals,....

Booshy

• Members

reply on my own thread:

A poor man's studio with up to date equipment would also be THE PLACE to breed soundengineers that are young and aspiring but come from the streets and don't have the $ to attend AES or schools like that. I so hate to see talent go to waste because they can't fund their schooling.

I know how I feel everyday when I have to get up at 5:30 to go to my job as a cook and truckdriver just because I had to start working at an early age.I'd love to do what I'm good at and love.Allthough I don't hate my jobs.

Maybe a facility like that could make a difference for motivated kids with good ears and love for music but no money.

Booshy

• Members

Yeah, we have a nonprofit here in GA that I believe has a recording facility. It's a great idea. Here in the US we also have television studios that the government pays for, because the FCC stipulates that there have to be airwaves that are open to the public, and if someone doesn't have access to the facilities to broadcast, it's kind of an empty promise. So we have public access channels, and studios where anyone can shoot a program. The only requirement is that you "intern" first and learn how to use the facilities by helping someone else with their program.

I don't see why something similar can't be done with audio facilities! If anything it'd be much cheaper.

• Members

a non-profit, public service recording studio.

That's the description I was looking for.

I was faced with the facts when I met this guy today. Here I am talking to all these great musicians and recording-engineers each day,...complaining(well I ain't complaining but I allways want more) about what I have ,when this guy is sitting in front of a shoppingmall with his only possession "a harmonica".

Maybe I'm just a poor soundengineer because I have to record the poor.

Ken a CD or something like that with only the hobos playing their instruments would be a great Idea. Profits made would go to the program offcourse. Maybe it takes their minds of bad things and all.

I wonder what I need to set something of like this. If it gets me the same pay I have now me and my family will be okay. My monthly check is about $1600.

Anything under that and I'll lose our home.

What money are we talking about to set something like this up? I mean....there's got to be equipment,a place to rent or buy and people who work there. ??? I haven't got the slightest clue....

I know you guys have no idea what stuff costs around here,...

Han????????? Where are ya?

Maybe the big companies could come up with some kind of endorsement?

This thing gets me excited. I take care of disabled and handicapped people all day,...I've done this with love for over ten years but I'd love to do what I want most and that is to record and create music so what better thing is there than to serve society and have a great job?

Booshy

• Members

There is a nascent website: www.CrenshawRecordingStudios.com

Things are happening faster than we thought on a few fronts - we have secured a space in the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center in the Crenshaw district, and we are partnering with a nearby charter school to supply students who want credit (they already have a stagecraft program at the same facility).

We need gear! And we need grants - the funding process is just starting, as is the 501© application (for non-profit status).

• Members

There is a nascent website:
www.CrenshawRecordingStudios.com

Things are happening faster than we thought on a few fronts - we have secured a space in the
Nate Holden Performing Arts Center
in the Crenshaw district, and we are partnering with a nearby charter school to supply students who want credit (they already have a stagecraft program at the same facility).

We need gear! And we need grants - the funding process is just starting, as is the 501(c) application (for non-profit status).

That link is dead,........

• Members

Han????????? Where are ya?

Maybe the big companies could come up with some kind of endorsement?

This thing gets me excited. I take care of disabled and handicapped people all day,...I've done this with love for over ten years but I'd love to do what I want most and that is to record and create music so what better thing is there than to serve society and have a great job?

In this country, sometimes people look for sponsorships, grants, or do some sort of fundraising for this. One would likely set up a non-profit organization and go from there:

http://www.bizfilings.com/products/nonprofit.asp

List of organizations (international list, I believe)

http://www.idealist.org/

http://www.guidestar.org/

You don't have to do it that way, but that's a common course of action for an organization like this. There are several people who have been featured in TapeOp and other magazines that have set up schools for teaching inner-city children recording and things like that as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not even close to being that charitable, but I am editing a monthly radio show on Tibet (to draw attention to the plight of the Tibetans, of course, but also to simply inform people about Tibetan issues, culture, music, etc.) here at Blueberry Buddha Recording Studios. Naturally, I do this for free, although I will be provided with an external hard drive to keep the shows on file. This is called The Tibet Connection (www.thetibetconnection.org/) and is aired on KPFK 90.7 FM the last Friday of every month at 3:00. Yes, it's KPFK, but really, the show is actually really good! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you do to take care of disabled and handicapped people all day? I am a Special Education Teacher for the severely developmentally delayed. That's my main paying gig, although I run a small recording studio and do other things as well.

• Members

What do you do to take care of disabled and handicapped people all day?

I start at 8 am. I work at a huge,...I don't know the name but it's a huge estate which houses about 400 mentally and physically handicapped people who live in houses(groups of 15 ) across the place.

from 8am till 11 am I cook for them,...my job is to make sure they have lunch and a desert. Sometimes I prepare dinner but not that often,..I am what we call in Europe a Pattisier,... cold dishes,salads and deserts.

After 11 I jump on a truck,...drive to factories etc etc to pick up work,..small work like putting labels on boxes or assembling small things and I bring that to about 20 locations in the neighbourhood. We're talking about 20 square miles here.

When the people I bring it too ,finish that job I pick it up again and bring it back to the factories or whatever.

ususally on a day I drive around 100 miles and speak to 100 disabled people,...

I am their hero,.. the guy who brings them jobs to do. The guy who listens when they're sad or in love or can't have a {censored} because the ate too many bananas the day before.

Today a kid,..15 years old with Down Syndrome pulled a knife on me because he had it bad,... he wanted to stab me and allmost did . I grabbed his arm and smacked him on his head. After that we both drank coffee and hold eachother,..we cried and he told me he's affraid because it's his birthday next week and then he has to go to a different school and a different job. He's was so excited that he decided to destruct everything that matters to him and I'm a part of that.

Can you frikkin imagine??? hahaha so that's my job Ken,.... I don't think people should do this kind of work for more than 10 years,........If you do this more than 10 years you'll end up being on the same brainlevel as a musician and hell knows we don't wanna go there,....:D

Booshy

• Members

Lee Flier wrote: "Here in the US we also have television studios that the government pays for, because the FCC stipulates that there have to be airwaves that are open to the public.... So we have public access channels, and studios where anyone can shoot a program."

Sadly, that is only partially correct. I have worked professionally with public access cable TV stations for many years. Unfortunately the public access stations only provide access to the local cable TV system, not the airwaves. Federal regulations allow local governements to negotiate with the cable TV operators to require public access channels and facilities. Many areas do not have public access stations because the local government did not take advantage of his opportunity. (often because the politicians are afraid of the controversy that inevitably results from a real free speech forum.) The future of public access TV is in danger due to the growth of new forms of video distribution such as small dish satellite and the internet, the move of telcos into broadband and television programming, and the pressure from the service providers for changes to the regulations.

Where there are public access stations, the quality of the facilities and the rules vary greatly. Usually working as an intern is not required, but it is usually required that you take a class before handling any of the facility's equipment. If you produce your own program with your own resources, there are usually no requirements besides being a resident of the area.

Although many public access stations feature music shows taped in the studio or in nightclubs, most public access cable stations concentrate on video production and do little with audio-only recording. This could change if the local residents pushed for more audio-oriented facilities. I encourage audio folks and musicians to get involved with their local station by volunteering, producing a show, or getting on the board of directors.

A promising trend is the growth of audio recording/radio production facilities built into community centers, including the community centers that are part of public housing projects. Usually these are intended to be an activity to keep young people off the streets by appealling to urban youth's interest in hip-hop.

Lee also wrote "if someone doesn't have access to the facilities to broadcast, it's kind of an empty promise." I agree that citizens should have access to our publicly owned airwaves. This right to public access has been partially granted with cable TV, but we are still not allowed public access to the broadcast spectrum. (unless you have a couple million dollars of spare money to buy your own Tv station) It is a shameful.

• Members

I start at 8 am. I work at a huge,...I don't know the name but it's a huge estate which houses about 400 mentally and physically handicapped people who live in houses(groups of 15 ) across the place.

I think we would call that a residential care facility. It's too large to be called a group home, I think. Well, maybe not, since they're in groups of 15.

Can you frikkin imagine??? hahaha so that's my job Ken,.... I don't think people should do this kind of work for more than 10 years,........If you do this more than 10 years you'll end up being on the same brainlevel as a musician and hell knows we don't wanna go there,....
:D

Booshy

If you were to look at the Blueberry Buddha web site, you'd see that one of the things that I mention is that since I work as a Special Education Teacher, I am uniquely qualified to work with musicians!! :D

I've been doing this for over 12 years as a teacher (and before that, over six years as a teacher's assistant in various sp. ed. schools), and sometimes, I feel really burned out. I was seriously considering another job earlier this year. It's not just working with the students, which is rewarding but taxing. It's where the field is going, and all the stupid-ass shortcuts and withholding of funding and attitudes and litigation that grind us Sp. Ed. Teachers down.

But anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, as you have a really great idea that we should explore further.

• Members

Boosh, do a little research on writing a Grant Proposal. I don't knw if you can talk your government into it, or private businesses into donating towards the cause, but it seems worth a shot if you want to do a non-profit, public service recording studio.

In the Netherlands, he might have a real shot at it, unless that nation has changed drastically since my last visit.

The Dutch, by and large, don't seem to share the widespread American notion that anything that benefits someone else diminishes the all-important me.

• Members

A poor man's studio...

A few colleges around here, like Citrus College and Santa Monica College, have programs that cost about $25 per credit, and they take just about anybody. Citrus also functions as a commercial studio, which helps pay for the educational program.

• Members

In the Netherlands, he might have a real shot at it, unless that nation has changed drastically since my last visit.

The Dutch, by and large, don't seem to share the widespread American notion that anything that benefits someone else diminishes the all-important
me.

Well the problem is I think that I can get a Subsidie,...man if I only knew that word in english,...which gives me around $30,000 a year.

There's no way you can equip a studio,.. not even rent a place to build a studio in. Th rest has to come from large companies and I figure those companies that will be interested have to be companies that sell instruments or studio equipment. There are no large companies overhere that are into that bizz simply because we only have 17 million people in our country.

That's why I paged Han in this thread,.. he owns a huge studio and is a fellow countryman who happens to write for Holland's biggest musicians magazine also,....

But I doubt if he needs competition from a non profit recording studio,...allthoug I know for sure he loves music and his job.

Oh and about that one thing,..................

Thinking about only YOURSELF and being SELFCENTERED is what even dutch people are great at nowadays,...We ain't that love and peace community anymore man. Even the Netherlands have gone multinational.

I was brought up with: peace ,happyness,forgiveness,music and love but that era is over,...... I'm the last of the Mohicans,....

• Members

I doubt Hans would consider what you are proposing to be competition unless he's doing that himself.

I was more talking about competition in the sense of :

A free recording studio versus a professional one like Han runs. But the clientele would be different so I see no problems.

Archived