R.I.P., Rawhide Guy

thefunkman

• Members

Frankie Laine, who sang the "Rawhide" TV theme song, is dead at 93. His voice seemed the perfect fit for that "western-themed" material...from Rawhide to Blazing Saddles. Hell, even on pop songs like "Jezebel," I imagine him singing it on horseback...

A more complete obit can be found here: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/arts/entertainment-laine.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

• Moderators

There was a really cool interview from the 80's with him on NPR yesterday. He told a very funny story of how he got a call from Mel Brooks, who he barely knew of. Then he agreed to do the theme for this new western called Blazing Saddles. He sings with all the heart he can muster, and as you know, that's a lot of heart.

Then the commercial comes out to advertise the movie. For the first time he realizes it's a send up and he feels had. He calls Brooks to say WTF? Mel says, "No, no. We LOVE you. We wanted you, and not a funny version of you, That's why we didn't tell you".

He seemed like a great guy in the interview and the jazz stuff they played of him was very, very good. I knew he was good, but who knew he was THAT good?

Archived