OT: Networked printer driving me crazy

mobobog

• Members

Hi guys i know you are not tech support but i need help urgently

i have a networked printer, somebody sent a 40 pages work to it but wanted to cancel. The document does not appear as a pending document for the printer . not in the remote machine, not in the machine it is connected to. And know it is trying to print the whole document that nobody needs.! how do i cancel it?

Thanks A LOT! in advance.

• Members

If it is networked;

What OS are you using?

Doe the print job go direct to the printer ( via say an HP Jet Express card), route through a server ( such as a Novell/Apple or Windows Server). If it does route through a network server print Q, then you need to talk to the sys admin, cause normally, you won't have the 'rights' to reset the q.

Assuming you are running XP, the easiest way to find some of this out is to go to printers control panel, look at the properties fo rthe printer, and see what port it is assigned. If the port is something like '\OurServerprintqs', then it routes either through a server or a computer with the printer directly attached. The machine with the printer attached will be able to do more than youiwll if this is the case. If it simply says 'ip addres12.13.14.15', then it prints directly to the printers's ethernet card ( i.e. jetdirect, other brands, etc) and you can reset the printer.

There are a whole lot of variables here, but these are the basics. Good luck.

Archived