Something's Brewing

Geoff Grace

• Members

EMI Group PLC has been an acquisition target, but the bidding entities that could swing the deal were other record companies with antitrust problems. Apple could be thought of as a record company without an antitrust entanglement. Does that make it a dot, Geoff? ;)

There have been other candidates in the recent past that would make good strategic partners for an Apple bid. actually these guys in the link aren't that big anymore in the scheme of things, but some Chinese telecommunications partner would be pretty smart. Old media will never resolve piracy issues in China, so a telecommunications partner is needed to produce revenue from the next world media market..

• Members

EMI Group PLC has been an acquisition target, but the bidding entities that could swing the deal were other record companies with antitrust problems. Apple could be thought of as a record company without an antitrust entanglement. Does that make it a dot,
Geoff
?
;)

There have been
other candidates in the recent past that would make good strategic partners for an Apple bid
actually these guys in the link aren't that big anymore in the scheme of things, but some Chinese telecommunications partner would be pretty smart. Old media will never resolve piracy issues in China, so a telecommunications partner is needed to produce revenue from the next world media market.

Jobs is on the Disney Board of Directors because of the Pixar acquisition...

• Members

It sounds reasonable to me that EMI will be among the first to let go of drm.

Drm is a financial drag on a company. I respect any company's ownership position, but I can also see where the numbers may not be making sense when crunching the cost of drm implementation vs. profit received over the past few years. I can see drm going bye-bye eventually.

• Members

EMI Group PLC has been an acquisition target, but the bidding entities that could swing the deal were other record companies with antitrust problems. Apple could be thought of as a record company without an antitrust entanglement. Does that make it a dot,
Geoff
?
;)

There have been
other candidates in the recent past that would make good strategic partners for an Apple bid
actually these guys in the link aren't that big anymore in the scheme of things, but some Chinese telecommunications partner would be pretty smart. Old media will never resolve piracy issues in China, so a telecommunications partner is needed to produce revenue from the next world media market.

Looks like they'd be looking to extend even MORE control through their effective market franchise if they did that. It would at the very least, raise eyebrows, I think. (Still, anti-trust types might view it as preferable to a further consolidation of what used to be the "seven sisters" of organized cri... er, I mean the record biz.)

• Members

I was thinking that this was a wacky notion, but Apple has got a substantial cash hoard.

They set up a capital management company last year:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2006/tc20060405_452855.htm

EMI has irreplaceable catalog. They jettisoned two expensive executives in January (a CEO and a Vice Chairman). The CEO, Alain Levy, was previously released by Polygram just before they were acquired by Universal.

The "sisters/schwestern/zusters" have been passing away since the late 90's. ;)

• Members

I hope that when they finally decide to let beatles content be available in mp3 format and streaming, that they just won't limit themselves to itunes...

hehehe

Beatles content has been available in MP3

format for years now....

You just have to know where to look......

;)

Actually the new upcoming format is flac...

Now that broadband is more common, the

bitTorrent trackers are showing more and

more music in flac format ...

Because it's a lossless format, it reduces a

file to approx 50% of the equivalent wav.....

with no loss in quality....

• Members

hehehe

Beatles content has been available in MP3

format for years now....

You just have to know where to look......

;)

im trying to find something that ISNT available these days. one of the saddest things i saw recently was PSP's VW2 was released as a crack the DAY i got an email from PSP announcing it was available for purchase.

actually my statement isnt all that true... lots of stuff isnt available, but its obscure things i cant buy in stores either.

• Members

Actually the new upcoming format is flac...

Now that broadband is more common, the

bitTorrent trackers are showing more and

more music in flac format ...

Because it's a lossless format, it reduces a

file to approx 50% of the equivalent wav.....

with no loss in quality....

Because it's truely compression rather then omission like an mp3.

Right?

• Members

I thought this thread was about beer.

...or coffee.

...and instead of that you find busybody speculation about due diligence and catered vegetarian lunches. :D

which reminds me, Capitol and Virgin were rolled together in January and the CFO who would have worked with Levy at Polygram didn't follow Levy out the door. There might be something going on.

Archived