The specs of an album/song

audioicon

• Members

I have been thinking and this is something I will be adding to my songs on my new website. I was just listening to Mr. Mister's "Kyrie," I love this song.

I listened and like all elements of the songs and was wondering how great it would be if labels/artists include the "specs" of their recording.

For example an album/song can say.

Recorded at: Black Bird studios, Brooklyn, New york.

Lead vocal Mic: Rode NTK.

Compressor: Anderton Audio 816.

Pre-amps on Vocal: Boosh Electronicx 566X.

Pre-amp on Guitars: Iconaudio 412STX:

Software/DAW: Cakewalk Sonar 4.4 PE

Mixing console. SSL 784.

and so on.....

I will be including the specs/gears use for my recording on each song profile on my website. I know on some albums certain instruments are mentioned but not in details. Like on the Janet Jackson CD, it says, "album assembled with Pro-Tools." I will be doing this just for technical aspect but I know people like Flyte Time Productions are not just saying it just because they want to, they are probably getting some kind of kick backs.

What do you think about this idea?

Tell me it's dumb and I'll hold no offence.

Audioicon

• Members

Nah...as much as I LOVE reading stuff like that, it'd be out of place on most, but not all, releases. I don't even like how the White Stripes put how their album wasn't done on a computer in the notes. I'd say, if anything, that that info gets put on a section on the website (if it doesn't make it into EQ or something). I listen to music for music's sake. I used to listen to records and occasionally wonder what gear was used, but then one day I just stopped caring. It just didn't matter, even with the great sounding records, at least at that point in which I'm listening to the album. But again, it'd be cool if I could just go the the label/whoever's website later and read that.

Peace

• Members

Lets look at it this way, I have never used a Neve Amp/board, I have never used an SSL console, so it's not like I going to be able to tell the difference between what was used on what album.

The thing is the label is not listing settings of these gears, just names.

Lets look at it this way too when a certain gear list their specs, you cannot hear certain levels of distortion because they were actually measured with lab instruments but people stll wanna see those specs.

Over all I think it's the technics that will matter, you can use the same gear on two different songs but they will sound different based on the engineers.

I just think it's going to be cool to list the specs, including keyboards, pianos ect....

Audioicon

• Members

Pat,...

Watch out man,... There are two differents ways for listening to music.

1/You try to dissect every part of it,the structure,the sound ,the techniques etc etc.

2/You simply listen to mucis and enjoy it without breaking your balls on how it was done.

#2 is the most important thing in the World!!!!!

• Members

You guys sounds like what NASA was told when they said they were going to put men on the moon.

Everybody enjoys different aspect of music. Hey, by the way this information is only going to be on my website. So when you go to my sample page, you can read the song lyrics and all the details of the song. You can even read what inspired me to write the song or that I had followed Boosh's advise, drank a keg of beer and started playing! :thu:

Now, they do the same thing for movies, why are there behind the scenes footage? I'm sure one could preached that "just watched and enjoy the movies" but people are curious, they want to know.

I remember watching the making of Paul Simon's "Grace Land," he even showed how the knobs were twiked and how they put all the elements together to mix the song.

I don't know about you but I enjoyed that kind of stuff.

When I listen to music, I listen to all elements, the space/reverb, the smoothness of dynamics. And I ejoyed it very much. I personally think that I enjoyed music more when I can listen to all aspect of the song then just putting a song in my CD player and going "yeah nice track."

I'm not judging the song but instead of listening to the song as a whole, I listen to all elements! :D

Like 2 Pac has a song called "F*** all Ya" that song have one of the best guitar sounds I have ever heard in my life. But the lyrics suckx, too noisy and I blasting the tracks but only listening to that guitar getting killed"

I'll send the song to you Boosh!

Specs on the CD, no for me, on my website, yes.

Audioicon

• Members

You got it a little wrong, man. I don't think anyone here is saying "screw what they used" (well, I'll just speak for myself), but that it's not something I even think about when listening to music. I'm one of those that loves watching behind the scenes features for movies and songs, but I don't try to figure that out while I'm enjoying it. But that's me. Nothing wrong with getting into that.

And since you're saying it's for the website...okay, sounds cool to me. But it's a LOT to ask from most productions these days. So many things and gear factors in, that means somebody's going to have to keep track of all those details, and question everybody involved. For small affairs, it's fine. But anything bigger than that can be a hassle. The engineer or producer keeping a blog would probably be just as interesting, though.

Peace

• Members

Hey I respect everyone's opinion and I know every body have different ideas/taste/ways of doing things.

What I don't understand is this, why are more musician endorsing music gears? I just saw John Legend endosing a Microphone.

I saw Mark Isham talking about using M-Audio "stay out of this Guss" :D

Studio Monitors on the sound track of the movie "CRASH."

So if Michael Jackson's album had a spec page or on the website at to what was use, will this be a bad thing? Just asking?

It might not be useful information to the everyday listener but to us musician's it might be a great tool.

But I understands all the posts and thanks to everyone for their inputs.

I'll stll put the info on my website, I think if a big name artist/producer does it, everybody will start to do the same but ideas are not easily accepted when it's coming from a guy "who lives in a cave":D !

Audioicon

• Members

Hey I respect everyone's opinion and I know every body have different ideas/taste/ways of doing things.

What I don't understand is this, why are more musician endorsing music gears? I just saw John Legend endosing a Microphone.

I saw Mark Isham talking about using M-Audio "stay out of this Guss"
:D
Studio Monitors on the sound track of the movie "CRASH."

As you said earlier (re: "kick backs"), it's probably because they're getting paid to endorse the products.

Archived