dumb question about searching

Zooey

• Members

How do you search for multiple keywords, all of which must be contained in the post? The " + " sign doesn't do it. The word "AND" doesn't do it. There doesn't seem to be a popup to specify "find all terms."

I suppose you can use quotations to search for an exact phrase, but that's not quite the same thing.

Sorry for the OT post, but you guys are like the yodas of the forum. :o

• Members

I suppose you can use quotations to search for an exact phrase, but that's not quite the same thing.

Actually, scratch that. If you search a phrase in quotes, it returns all the posts that contain any of the words in any order. :confused:

• Members

Type only the words that you wish to find without commas, quotation marks, or any other additional words. For instance, type in the following: keywords contained quotations

... and it will return YOUR post in the results with the three words highlighted in red.

• Members

Without looking at it before replying, my guess would be that you are searching for text inside of the posts instead of searching by the username. I'll go check it out now, but I believe this would be the case. I'll confirm it in a minute.

• Members

Confirmed Angelo. To find all posts made by an individual user, you have to go into the Advanced Search feature that is located at the bottom of the search text box. Click into the link and then enter the user name on the right hand side of the screen. It will pull all posts made by that user.

It appears that the search results are returned in reverse chronological order.

• Members

Search by user name is exactly the same as it has always been. It just takes one more click to get there.

What is new is the inability to narrow a search by adding keywords that must appear in the results.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Advanced Search with Search by User Name: Angelo Clematide

does not list the above post with the unique words "bataflafla" and "editamelc" in the results.

In other words, there is no way to find a post of mine when I remember only a word or two which is not so unique.

On the contrary. It may take some time for the search engine spiders to find the post.

OR... not here but in some BB's they meta tag the BB with a "nofollow" to discourage SE spidering.

But -- where the spiders are a-prowlin', you can see some pretty fast returns. I did a google search of a phrase I used in my blog last night to see if I'd used it before and actually got an hour old page. (Mind you, it's probably related to the fact that I use Blogger and it lists new posts centrally, so SE spiders can get on this stuff pretty fast.)

Archived