Jeff Beck was on American Idol tonight!!

Anderton

• Members

Yes, Jeff Beck, playing his Strat behind Kelly Clarkson. They just don't get any better than him. He was in "tasteful playing" mode, and he can do more with four notes than most people can do with 4,000. Tonight I was very, very grateful that my daughter's addicted to American Idol...

...until the "duet" with Elvis Presley and Celine Dion, possibly one of the creepiest and strangest moments in TV history. If you didn't see it, I won't say anything to cause disturbing images to appear in your mind :) If you did see it, I feel your pain.

Oh, and Annie Lennox sure has one great set of pipes. Damn. If they put her on to embarrass the "regular" contestants, they probably succeeded. And all hokiness and weirdness aside, congrats to American Idol for raising $30+ million to help kids in the US and Africa. Even though I thought that's what I was paying taxes for...oh, never mind.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jeff Beck is THE MAN. I have been a fan of him as long as I can remember. I saw him for the first time live recently and he simply gets better and better over time. He builds on him previous work and goes into new territories. he is amazing in the subltely and expression of his bends and melodies, he is a master of quarter tone control and is an amazing slide player as well.

His live version of the Beatles "A Day in the Life" literally left my friend stunned and limp in his seat!!!

Can't say enough about him!! Of all the British Invasion musicians he is by the far the one who has continued to develop consistently over the years.

Hat's off to you Jeff.

• Members

...until the "duet" with Elvis Presley and Celine Dion, possibly one of the creepiest and strangest moments in TV history. If you didn't see it, I won't say anything to cause disturbing images to appear in your mind
:)
If you did see it, I feel your pain.

Everyone else might wanna sit down for this. :cry:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpH7BlYsdGI

I'm sorry I missed that, I hope it shows up on youtube

Done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46R0-12XIWI

• Members

Okay. I'll bite.

How did they do that? I thought it would be on a video screen, and done the same way they did Hank Jr. and Hank Sr.'s, and Natalie and Nat King Cole's duet.

But it wasn't.

Creepy, yeah, but...it's starting to fulfill the prediction I made a decade ago. In a few years, we'll see NEW movies starring, say, Clark Gable and Renee Zellweger. Or George Clooney and Jean Harlowe. And we've (as apparent in this video) already taken steps to make it happen. I remember about 10 or so years ago, there were a series of new commercials with John Wayne (and he's been dead since like the late 70s). "Forrest Gump" was another example...and technology has advanced since then.

• Members

Okay. I'll bite. How did they do that?

Found this:

Just got back from a taping for the "Idol Gives Back" concert and it was soooooo cool. I'm not a huge Celine Dion fan, but my aunt is so I took her to see the performance. Celine was pre-taping her bit because they have her singing a duet with ELVIS. It totally rocked. Of course, I was so into the Elvis guy!!!! He was hot.

They had the Elvis impersonator from the Legends show in Las Vegas singing with her and then they said he will be in the wide shots, but for the close-ups they are going to CG the real Elvis onto his face! WEIRD. We got to see a preview of it on the monitor and I think it's going to be amazing when they are done.

The impersonator is Ryan Pelton:

http://ryanpelton.com/ryanontv.html

• Members

Everyone else might wanna sit down for this.
:cry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpH7BlYsdGI

Done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46R0-12XIWI

That is DEFINITELY more embarrassing and creepy than watching Fred Astaire digitally manipulated into dancing with a ----ing vacuum cleaner... of course, the rationale there was to sell vacuums... this seems designed to make sure nothing fills the big vacuum in the brains of most Americans.

• Members

Yes, Jeff Beck, playing his Strat behind Kelly Clarkson. They just don't get any better than him. He was in "tasteful playing" mode, and he can do more with four notes than most people can do with 4,000.

I was thinking the same thing while listening to Beck (Jeff that is). Makes something so simple sound so amazing. Cool closeups too of him switching pickups/ using the tremelo. etc.

Oh.. and was Kelly Clarkson pregnant? hmm maybe she's having Jeff's baby.

• Members

I haven't watched Idol for years, but for some reason my wife had it on last night while I was working in the kitchen. I thought that the Beck/Clarkson duo did an excellent job with that song. I was really surprised at how well Kelly did with the song, and I'm no fan of hers by any stretch. In fact, it was probably the best live music performance that I've seen on TV in years. If you haven't seen Jeff Beck live then you owe it to yourself to go see him! Out of all of the guitar shows I've been to, Jeff Beck's have always been the most pleasurable and mind blowing.

• Members

I haven't watched Idol for years, but for some reason my wife had it on last night while I was working in the kitchen. I thought that the Beck/Clarkson duo did an excellent job with that song. I was really surprised at how well Kelly did with the song, and I'm no fan of hers by any stretch. In fact, it was probably the best live music performance that I've seen on TV in years. If you haven't seen Jeff Beck live then you owe it to yourself to go see him! Out of all of the guitar shows I've been to, Jeff Beck's have always been the most pleasurable and mind blowing.

No doubt...

Saw him when he opened for Santana a couple of years ago. He had Terry Bozzio on drums. Just plain killer:thu: :eek:

• Members

Did y'all know that there is a recent live Jeff beck Cd avalable only at http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=418&dept_id=1002&sfid=2

Its pretty good, providing a good overview of his music over the years, but it doesn't feature any of his recent technoish music. BTW his recent technish CDs, Jeff and You Had it Coming, are excellent.

• Members

Jeff Beck was CGI too,....

That's what I was thinking.

Like the new "Direct TV" ads...with Christopher Lloyd as "Doc Brown" and Charlie Sheen (with Bob Uecker) in their roles from the baseball movie (Can't remember the name of that flick). Both seem rather unremarkable...'til you notice that neither Lloyd nor Sheen has aged at all since the mid-late 80s when those movies were made.

Oops. Gotta go watch "Idol". I hear John Lennon's the guest, live with Keith Moon drumming. Oughta be a good show.

• Members

That's what I was thinking.

Oops. Gotta go watch "Idol". I hear John Lennon's the guest, live with Keith Moon drumming. Oughta be a good show.

Have you ever seen that BBC radio commercial they made for TV? Elvis,Keith Moon,Sheryl Crow on bass, Stevie Wonder on keys,...excellent commercial. Elvis introduces the band.

Archived