Amazon vs. iTunes

• Members

Eventually physical product for music delivery will be totally outmoded. iTunes and Amazon will be the Borders and Barnes & Noble. Don't know where the quality will go. I've stayed out of the "Quality vs. Convenience" thread. I do know that right now iTunes and other virtual stores are selling convenience as much as music. Once the physical product falls off the map, maybe the quality will become a part of the virtual retail competition.

• Members

On the quality front, the best DLs I've got are the LAME-encoded VBR files I bought from eMusic when I was a subscriber under their old, quasi-unlimited plan (those were the good old days).

When I play those files, the difference in quality between them and, say, the 160 kbps ABR WMAs I bought from MusicMatch or that I hear over my subscription service is sometimes enough to make me stop for a second and go, Oh yeah, this is from eMusic. No wonder it sounds noticeably better...

The high frequencies sound less hyped and far more natural.

The current eMusic purchase plan is kinda wack (and the price went "up" so extraordinarily with the new system that it'd give me pause to re-up with them) but the price per song (assuming you can find what you want in their catalog oriented more to lesser/obscure releases and old catalog) is fairly reasonable (around 25 cents a song, IIRC) and the quality is about as good as you're going to get in a data-compressed file format.

• Members

There are many who think the converse is true.

WMP is a PITA.;)

You do realise it's just a codec issue yeah?

Get the right codec and flac files will play fine

in WMP.:thu:

This is a direct link to the flac installer on Sourceforge.

Or go to the flac download page itself here,where you

can choose a different mirror to the default one in the

link above.

It works seamlessly for me using WMP 10.

• Members

I think WMP is a PITA.

And I'm no MS-basher. (I mean, except when it's warranted, of course.)

BTW... I'm beginning to think that some of the mastering/remastering/total brainless squashing/hyping that goes on does NOT sit well with compression schema like WMA, even in the mid-fi (160kbps) range. Some of the recent releases (some new, some remasterings of classic tracks where I can go back and compare in some cases) I've heard REALLY sound very unpleasant over my subscription (160 kbps ABR). When the "un-remastered" versions are available on the service I compare them and, wow, they're not as bright, their not as loud, but they don't make you want to rip your ears off the sides of your head and FedEx them to the head of the RIAA, either. "Remastering" is a cancer on the intdustry.

• Members

what is wrong with WMP? winamp crashes my machine... itunes is a resource hog, even when not running...

and flac doesnt work flawlessly with the proper codecs, i have those installed... there is no progress bar to zip around a file... inteh tags are almost non-existant... etc. i can PLAY them, but dont prefer them.

i havent had anythign b ut good luck with WMP and MCE. i really dont understand what has everyones panties ina wad about it.

Archived