dear craig and bruce : i have tinnitus and hearing loss

• Members

dear craig anderton and bruce swedien ,

i have tinnitus .

it really sucks .

i am cursed to listen to a never ending high pitched squeal ( which i believe is an aminor7th chord - no kidding ) for the rest of my life .

one gets used to it .

like a heavy stainless steel watch that one forgets one is wearing , i suppose the brain just suppresses the existence of an ever present physical phenomenon . is it a handicap for a semi active piano player ? well , sort of . but i work around it rather well , i think .

still , it sucks .

my daughter can hear my accutron watch alarm go off at 7 : 47 every morning .... and she is in another room down the hall !

i cannot hear my watch alarm or any high pitched relatively weak sound source at all unless i put my ear right next to it .

before i developed hearing loss , i never even knew it existed . i would practice piano and guitar with maxed out volume ( both with / without headphones ) and never use any earplugs . but i have done plenty of other stupid things to my health over the years and i am otherwise in good shape .

the thing about hearing loss and tinnitus in particular , is once you get the condition it just hangs on and never gets better and usually gets worse .

they say that a major ear splitting event of incredibly loud decibels often is the final catalyst that damages the fine hair like cells irreversably and once and for all and which pushes the victims inner ear cells over the line for the rest of his days .

i actually remember what that tragic event was for me .

it would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic . but it is a true story .

fifteen years ago van halen did a concert here in memphis at the local arena .

i was very proud to have third row seats smack dab in front of eddie van halen's marshal stack . great show . and the loudest concert i have ever heard in my life . it was the same decibel level of an exploding howitzer artillery shell sustained for two and a half hours straight .

and i have had tinnitus ever since that night .

i am not that much of a concert goer . especially rock concerts .

i prefer a good piano recital or the opera .

what happened was not eddy van halen's fault . that is just what his show is all about . but kids should be warned ....

HEARING LOSS IS REAL !!!!!!

HEARING LOSS AND TINNITUS ARE REAL !!! DO NOT WEAR LOUD HEADPHONES ALL THE TIME !! DO NOT GO TO ROCK SHOWS OR PLAY IN A BAND WITHOUT EAR PLUGS !

the part that sucks is that i really miss hearing those quiet subtle sounds that are contained in all good acoustic instruments that i once took for granted but can no longer distinguish . and i miss the small sounds of a forest ;

the sounds we humans were evolved to hear .... softly .......:wave:

• Members

i was very proud to have third row seats smack dab in front of eddie van halen's marshal stack...

... and i have had tinnitus ever since that night .

... what happened was not eddy van halen's fault.

I think it is in the responsibility of the concert management that nobody is injured.

From where should a concert-goer know that the exposure to a Marshal stack can ruin the hearing once and forever.

• Members

I think it is in the responsibility of the concert management that nobody is injured.

From where should a concert-goer know that the exposure to a Marshal stack can ruin the hearing once and forever.

It's a matter of common sense Angelo.

People have to take their own responsibility once in a while.

There's not a soul in the world that doesn't know loud sounds can make your ears hurt or cause damage.

People cover their ears by default when a loud sound suddenly arises so going against this natural reflex must be stupid,..... or not?

If people need to be educated the Goverment has to make a law which states that every concert ticket can only be sold with a pair of earplugs attached to it and a warning.

• Members

Sorry to hear about this development Sirreal7. There are some things you might want to consider.

First: Cut down on caffeine or cut it out entirely. It can aggravate tinnitus.

Second: Consider some alternative therapies: hypnosis, acupuncture, biofeedback.

Like many other chronic conditions it might not be got rid of, but it can be managed.

eric

• Members

I've got tinnitus too. Triggered apparently by an ear infection but certianly not helped by a lifetime in the vicinity of savagely struck crash cymbals. I've also got a notch at 4k, but that, apparently, is also known as just livin'.

My Tinnitus is not terrible but it is unimstakably there, rising in the quiet spots of the day and night. Wore some Hear-o's to my friends' CD release party the other night but my ears still got pummelled.

The biggest problem with ear plugs is singing with them in, don't you agree?

• Members

It's a matter of common sense Angelo.

People have to take their own responsibility once in a while.

There's not a soul in the world that doesn't know loud sounds can make your ears hurt or cause damage.

People cover their ears by default when a loud sound suddenly arises so going against this natural reflex must be stupid,..... or not?

If people need to be educated the Goverment has to make a law which states that every concert ticket can only be sold with a pair of earplugs attached to it and a warning.

I lean away from "nanny-government" -- but I have no problem with educating people -- particularly young people who frequently approach life as though they're going to die tomorrow -- to the dangers facing them through their actions, whether it's drugs or loud music.

That said -- and I know you thought you were giving an ad absurdum example -- I think there's a LOT of merit to the idea of handing out free, disposable earplugs that are marked with the warning that not only can loud sound permanently damage your hearing -- and make loud sounds painful (that's the one I never realized until it happened to me -- and I think once you put it that way to kids, that they're going to impact their own ability to enjoy or even tolerate the loud music they love, it carries a lot more weight with them) -- but the additional warning that the plugs will only give them partial protection.

It's not at all uncommon for a concert to cost $50 or $75 a ticket for big name shows in the US. Buy those earplugs in bulk and the cost is negligible, literally pennies.

Will some of the kids just put the earplugs in their nose or throw them at each other? Of course. But others will use them. It's always a matter of reaching who you can.

• Members

from another new tinnitus thread :

RABID : the ringing in my ears is tied to allergies. The doctor says I have something going on with sinus pressure and my inner ear.

SIRREAL7 :yes , i definitely have an allergy problem which i even had an operation for . i should be receiving a series of shots but i don ' t have insurance . this could be something that may alleviate my tinnitus which i am listening to right now ..... some days the ringing is more noticable than others ... man! is it loud today ! i don't know if i am supposed to say this in the forum but smoking weed cuts it way down for me .... but i quit smoking a long long time ago ! makes me too paranoid ......:thu:

-----------------

edeibler says quit coffee .... i wish i could ... i drink more coffee than three starbucks shops per day ... i am a serious caffeine junky ... that could be part of it .... i will check out the new age stuff ...

it is quite impossible to sing with tinnitus .... it feels like an echo chamber inside the scull....

angelo said the concert people are negligent .... he has a point but i was warned that night at van halen and just ignored it ... my bad !

sirreal7

sirreal7@hotmail.com

" funerals are the best places to pick up chicks " will ferrel

• Members

That said -- and I know you thought you were giving an ad absurdum example

Uhmm Blue,.... I actually thought about this serious. I think it's a good idea to give earplugs away with every $75 ticket. And if it's too expensive than add $2 to the ticketprice.

I wasn't joking.

• Members

This post made me sad. :(

Hope something can be done about your tinnitus/hearing loss. It scares the crap out of me to think that I might face the same fate. Too many years in garage bands, mixing at high volume, wearing headphones... I'm lucky it hasn't been a bigger problem for me than it has.

• Members

I have always thought it was rude for musicians to wear earplugs live on stage, so they can stay blissfully ignorant of how their volume levels affect their listeners. Usually, it's the band members who have their plugs in, that play the loudest, and cause most of the volume problems. It's especially true of guitar players, whose sound passes past their legs, and directly into the ears of those seated at the front tables.

Instead of wearing earplugs, why not turn down, and use an amp that can give the sound you want, at a volume that doesn't cause permanent hearing damage to those who are supporting your music. I also think volume is a major cause for the decline of live music in clubs. You do yourself no favors by playing too loud. Think about it.

Steve

• Members

i don ' t know as much as i should about tinnitus . but there are worse physical handicaps . i would imagine that the loss of hearing , which is a result of the damage to a person ' s hair like inner ear auditory cells , is probably a true case by case situation . that is , i am obviously prone to getting auditory cell damage due to my unique physical makeup whereas you may never develop such a condition even if you were exposed to the very same loud levels of sound that i was exposed to .

william shatner the actor ( aka capt kirk ) has tinnitus . he says he got it on the set of star trek when the cast and crew were exposed to a repeated series of incredibly loud explosions . but spock didn 't develop ringing in the ears . and we all know how big a vulcan ' s ears are . :cool:

go figure . live long and prosper .

sirreal7

sirreal7@hotmail.com

• Members

Steve,

That would be great, but some genres just don't allow for that subtle approach. I'm of course, referring to metal/hardcore/etc...and these genres still have a decent live scene.

The fans want it loud, as do the bands.

And I wear earplugs any time I play drums. As far as I'm concerned, there is no safe volume level when playing drums. It may seem rude, but I need to protect my hearing. And people who go to heavy-music type shows want to be pulverized by the volume. They intend to be beaten by the audio and their fellow patrons in a bloody mosh-pit. ;)

• Members

sirreal7, I read the other day that scientists are working on a cure that enables the ear to repair the fine hair cells in your ear so don't give up hope.

One factor I've noticed is the relationship between your ears and your teeth/jaw bone. Many people actually have a dislocation of the jaw bone due to having teeth removed which changes your bite. I'd suggest you visit a reputable chiropractor and have your neck and jaw alignment checked.

Archived