Craig - HarBal for room analysis?

• Moderators

Hey Craig. I dug your article in EQ about tuning individual tracks wit HarBal. As you may or may not know, I've been a champion of HarBal back when it was being dissed for it's very existence. So much negative reaction, it made it tough to admit that I liked the program and was finding ways to use it that those who hated the idea would unfortunately miss out on. But I spoke out... and got slammed frequently

So your ideas on individual track tuning are spot on with the way I look at the program. If you look at their site, they quoted me as using the app this very way. To clean up separate tracks that were recorded in a resonant room.

But room analysis?

Now there's an idea that never occurred to me. As soon as I wrap up my current project I'm going to begin exploring it's possibilities.

Do you care to elaborate on how you went about "shooting your room" with Harbal?

My plan is to shoot several likely candidates for bass trap positioning and use HarBal to weed out where the modes are accumulating most. Then use this data for effective placement of the traps.

• Members

Well, I didn't do a rigorous test, I just wanted to get a basic idea of where to look (I don't really believe in room tuning using EQ...a whole other topic). So I just set up a microphone in a few different places, generated a sweep tone, and recorded the results to see what would happen.

HarBal is great, isn't it? It's my #1 mastering tool.

• Moderators

I'm not planning to actually tune the room with eq. Just want to find the most effective placement for my bass traps.

HarBal is nice, yeah. Thanks for the idea, even though you didn't intend it that way. You just never know what sort of fires you're setting off...

• Members

HarBal is great, isn't it? It's my #1 mastering tool.

Mine too. :thu:

Lee one thing you can do that us aussies can't is fire a pistol shot. A pistol shot generates all the frequencies and could easily be analysed by Harbal. You could even edit the sample down into microsecond grabs and work out the decay response.

• Moderators

Mine too.
:thu:

Lee one thing you can do that us aussies can't is fire a pistol shot. A pistol shot generates all the frequencies and could easily be analysed by Harbal. You could even edit the sample down into microsecond grabs and work out the decay response.

A pistol shot. Hmm. Is there sufficient low end activity in a pistol shot? Not that I have access to a starter pistol... or a real one for that matter. I do have the ability to play back an impulse response tone. I hadn't thought of using that. That's good.

I think I'll try a sweep, steady pink, then the impulse. Thanks for the idea John.

Archived