Trent Reznor goes off on the record label

• Members

Tell us how you feel, Trent

He noted that he has one album left on his contract with Interscope, rumored to be a sequel to Year Zero, and after its release, "then I will never be seen in a situation like this again. If I could do what I want right now, I would put out my next album, you could download it from my site at as high a bit-rate as you want, pay $4 through PayPal. Come see the show and buy a T-shirt if you like it. I would put out a nicely packaged merchandise piece, if you want to own a physical thing. And it would come out the day that it's done in the studio, not this "Let's wait three months" bulls---."

Please, go on Trent

He also discussed the massive digital campaign launched around the "Year Zero" album, saying he didn't want his label to have anything to do with it.

"I knew they wouldn't understand what it is," he said. "I knew the minute I talked to someone at the record label about it, they would be looking at it in terms of 'How can we tie this in with a mobile provider?'"

• Members

i read that interview. it was good, i thought. reznor recognizes the problem of pirating, but you can tell that he thinks about these things and doesn't just complain about how immoral the people that steal the music are. well, he does whine a little. but at least he has bad things to say about everyone. :)

do you think the $4 download idea would work? at least for nine inch nails.

whether it would or wouldn't, i think it might be interesting if they took advantage of the added control they would have over the downloading experience. whether that be integrating it into a year zero-like ARG or releasing the album over a period of time or whatever.

• Members

do you think the $4 download idea would work? at least for nine inch nails.

For an established artist, sure. He has a built up fan base that will purchase, and with no record company overhead, he could sustain his career as long as he wishes.

Breaking out with a no-overhead model is tough to see happening.

• Members

Didn't Prince do the "Screw the record companies, buy from my website" thing? Now he's back to conventional distribution and playing Vegas. Don't know if the two are related...

:D

I think he's actually tried to get Dick Cheney to run for Prez...time changes all things!

• Members

Didn't Prince do the "Screw the record companies, buy from my website" thing? Now he's back to conventional distribution and playing Vegas. Don't know if the two are related...

He does arrange distribution deals for his cd releases, but as we all know, good or bad, only Prince runs the Prince show :D

Archived